RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Transform selection, lock layers

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

7 of 8 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Transform selection, lock layers Remus Boara 20 Nov 19:51
  Transform selection, lock layers Axel Wernicke 20 Nov 20:01
   Transform selection, lock layers Remus Boara 20 Nov 20:32
    Transform selection, lock layers Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris 20 Nov 20:53
FE221658-0CE5-41A7-B036-433... 07 Oct 20:17
  Transform selection, lock layers Remus Boara 20 Nov 20:49
   Transform selection, lock layers Axel Wernicke 20 Nov 21:04
   Transform selection, lock layers Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris 21 Nov 00:00
Remus Boara
2005-11-20 19:51:00 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Hi everybody,

I would be a very happy GIMP user only if you could let me know how can be transformed an image selection or other object's selection.

Also, some quick questions: cannot find anywhere info about how a GIMP layer can be locked or if the layers can be organized into directories or some other way?

Thanks a lot.

Axel Wernicke
2005-11-20 20:01:42 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Am 20.11.2005 um 19:51 schrieb Remus Boara:

Hi everybody,

I would be a very happy GIMP user only if you could let me know how can be transformed an image selection or other object's selection.

what would you like to transform the selection into? There are possibilities to transform them into masks and paths in GIMP??

Also, some quick questions: cannot find anywhere info about how a GIMP layer can be locked or if the layers can be organized into directories or some other way?

As far as I know there is no way to organize layers in a tree structure neither can you lock them in GIMP right now.

But may be I'm wrong?

Greetings,

lexA

Thanks a lot.

Remus Boara
2005-11-20 20:32:40 UTC (over 18 years ago)

thanks a lot for the answer, very appreciated. regarding the selection transforming was actually referring on how to edit / modify / adjust a selection?

Axel Wernicke wrote:

Am 20.11.2005 um 19:51 schrieb Remus Boara:

Hi everybody,

what would you like to transform the selection into? There are possibilities to transform them into masks and paths in GIMP??

As far as I know there is no way to organize layers in a tree structure neither can you lock them in GIMP right now.

But may be I'm wrong?

Greetings,

lexA

Thanks a lot.

Remus Boara
2005-11-20 20:49:07 UTC (over 18 years ago)

thanks a lot... i downloaded the manual it should be fine. I'm really sorry for my persistence but just found another thing that worries me:

if i have a group of graphics, how can i move them across the canvas all together? i'm talking about lots of layers that needs to be located on some other place on the same window without merging them into a single one.

thanks a million...

if i'm allowed i might be back with some other questions... i'm working on the "big switch" from win/photoshop :)

Axel Wernicke wrote:

Am 20.11.2005 um 20:18 schrieb Remus Boara:

thanks a lot for the answer, very appreciated. regarding the selection transforming was actually referring on how to edit / modify / adjust a selection?

You can add / intersect / subtract a new selection from an existing one by holding down some modifier keys. ( See http://docs.gimp.org/en/ ch07s02.html for a more detailed description) If you are in need of handles to justify your selection you can convert it to a path and modify that one ( after doing so you could even convert it back into a selection). Should you prefer to modify the selected area by using brush tools use the quick mask feature. All this and much more is explained in the manual (see link above)

Greetings, lexA

thanks a lot.

---
Live is like a chocolate box, you never know what you wanna get... GPG Signatur auf http://wernicke-online.net/Impressum/ prüfen

Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris
2005-11-20 20:53:06 UTC (over 18 years ago)

On Sunday 20 November 2005 05:32 pm, Remus Boara wrote:

Once a selection is made it is treated internally as raster data - that means it is impossible to, say, increase an elliptical selection radius after it is ready (but people are working out a way tot hat with rectangular selections).

But all transform tools (move, scale, rotate, perspective, etc...) have mmodes to operate on the selection. Just select one of the transform tools, and on the tool options dialog, pick the "work on selection" (second icon on the top of the dialog).

With most tools, the "work on selection" mode can also be achieved by holding ALT while clicking - but "ALT + click" is normally used by Window Managers, so the combination often doesn't work.

JS ->

Axel Wernicke
2005-11-20 21:04:59 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Am 20.11.2005 um 20:49 schrieb Remus Boara:

thanks a lot... i downloaded the manual it should be fine. I'm really sorry for my persistence but just found another thing that worries me:

no problem - asking questions and answering them is exactly was this list is for.

if i have a group of graphics, how can i move them across the canvas all together? i'm talking about lots of layers that needs to be located on some other place on the same window without merging them into a single one.

there is a command Layer->Transform->Align visible layers which does what I think you want to do.

thanks a million...

if i'm allowed i might be back with some other questions... i'm working on the "big switch" from win/photoshop :)

don't hesitate to ask

lexA

---
Live is like a chocolate box, you never know what you wanna get... GPG Signatur auf http://wernicke-online.net/Impressum/ prüfen

Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris
2005-11-21 00:00:39 UTC (over 18 years ago)

On Sunday 20 November 2005 05:49 pm, Remus Boara wrote:

Although there are no layer groups or trees in the GIMP, you can have a single layer group, formed by "linked layers". To link a layer, you just click on the layer dialog next to the visibility ?(eye) icon - a chain link will appear to indicate it is linked. Whenever you perform a transform - move, scale, etc..., it is performed in all linked layers.

To move another group of layers, you have to unlink all the previous, and link all layers of the set you want to move.

JS ->

thanks a million...

Greetings, lexA

thanks a lot.

---