RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Transparent Logos...

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

16 of 17 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Transparent Logos... Jeff Avveduti 09 Nov 03:52
  Transparent Logos... Carol Spears 09 Nov 04:18
  Transparent Logos... Jeffrey Brent McBeth 09 Nov 04:18
   Transparent Logos... Jeff Avveduti 09 Nov 05:52
    Transparent Logos... michael chang 09 Nov 06:14
     Transparent Logos... Matt Gushee 09 Nov 07:23
      Transparent Logos... Jeff Avveduti 10 Nov 02:56
       Transparent Logos... Donncha O Caoimh 14 Nov 14:15
        Transparent Logos... Jeff Avveduti 24 Nov 22:37
         Transparent Logos... Jeffrey Brent McBeth 24 Nov 23:00
          Transparent Logos... Jeff Avveduti 25 Nov 06:12
           Transparent Logos... Jeffrey Brent McBeth 25 Nov 14:34
         Transparent Logos... Carol Spears 24 Nov 23:26
          Transparent Logos... Carol Spears 24 Nov 23:32
b14e81f00511101241m4fe9b322... 07 Oct 20:17
  Transparent Logos... Jeff Avveduti 13 Nov 16:46
   Transparent Logos... Carol Spears 13 Nov 18:46
Jeff Avveduti
2005-11-09 03:52:24 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Transparent Logos...

I have tried searching for this but I am not finding quite the answer I hunger for.
It is best to show you...
www.avveduti.com/ebay/logo.jpg

There is what I am wanting. To make a nice transparent logo in gimp. That was created in PS 7.
A nice bevel edge with ability to change the light direction and the amount of bevel..
I made the text go to 0 opaque and voula.. there it is.

What can I do in Gimp to acheive the same results?

-Jeff

Carol Spears
2005-11-09 04:18:27 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Transparent Logos...

On Tue, Nov 08, 2005 at 08:52:24PM -0600, Jeff Avveduti wrote:

I have tried searching for this but I am not finding quite the answer I hunger for.

There is what I am wanting. To make a nice transparent logo in gimp. That was created in PS 7.
A nice bevel edge with ability to change the light direction and the amount of bevel..

What can I do in Gimp to acheive the same results?

GIMP does not consider that to be transparent. i am trying to figure out how PS7 uses the word transparent there.

this is simply the second tutorial on www.gimp.org: http://www.gimp.org/tutorials/The_Basics/ and, gimp could do this before photoshop could. (photoshop 5 couldn't do this and that tutorial was written for gimp-1.0)

since it was so easy for you to make this, perhaps the photoshop developers read the gimp tutorial.

enjoy your gimp! carol

Jeffrey Brent McBeth
2005-11-09 04:18:54 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Transparent Logos...

Place your texture down (like the wavy red) Create a text layer (white for starters), and add your text Make sure the texture layer is selected, then go

Filters -> Map -> Bump Map

Play with all the fun knobs that do everything you asked for above.

Click okay when you are done, then make the text layer invisible (click the eye)

Jeff

Jeff Avveduti
2005-11-09 05:52:35 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Transparent Logos...

On Tue, 2005-11-08 at 22:18 -0500, Jeffrey Brent McBeth wrote:

Place your texture down (like the wavy red) Create a text layer (white for starters), and add your text Make sure the texture layer is selected, then go

Click okay when you are done, then make the text layer invisible (click the eye)

Jeff

Ok, I must be doing something wrong. I opened a picture, add text [Avveduti Photography], Filters -> Map -> Bump Map, no matter I change, the text does not change.
I move the window around to show the different letters of the text but nothing. I slide everything to the far right... nothing. I hit ok and hide the layer... nothing.
What am I doing wrong?

michael chang
2005-11-09 06:14:09 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Transparent Logos...

On 11/8/05, Jeff Avveduti wrote:

On Tue, 2005-11-08 at 22:18 -0500, Jeffrey Brent McBeth wrote: On Tue, Nov 08, 2005 at 08:52:24PM -0600, Jeff Avveduti wrote:

Jeff

Ok, I must be doing something wrong. I opened a picture, add text [Avveduti Photography], Filters -> Map -> Bump Map, no matter I change, the text does not change. I move the window around to show the different letters of the text but nothing. I slide everything to the far right... nothing. I hit ok and hide the layer... nothing. What am I doing wrong?

I don't think the text is supposed to change, the background is. Then you should be able to "hide" the text somehow, by clicking the eye for the text layer in the layers box. Maybe you need to flatten it first?

Or maybe you should select the text layer, and not the background/pattern layer, or vice versa. *shrugs*

IIRC, there are also special fonts that fake this effect, if that is also your desire... although there should be a method like this with bump map that works.

--
~Mike
- Just my two cents
- No man is an island, and no man is unable.

Matt Gushee
2005-11-09 07:23:34 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Transparent Logos...

michael chang wrote:

Make sure the texture layer is selected

You probably understood this, but it's a potential point of confusion, so let's try to make it totally clear: "selected" here means to make sure, before opening the Bump Map dialog, that the texture is the active layer in the main window (selected in the layers dialog).

Ok, I must be doing something wrong. I opened a picture, add text [Avveduti Photography], Filters -> Map -> Bump Map, no matter I change, the text does not change. I move the window around to show the different letters of the text but nothing. I slide everything to the far right... nothing. I hit ok and hide the layer... nothing. What am I doing wrong?

Maybe what you're missing is that, in the Bump Map dialog, you have to select the text layer as the Bump Map ... that option is in the upper right corner (at least for me on Linux ... I don't imagine it varies by platform, but it's conceivable).

I don't think the text is supposed to change, the background is. Then you should be able to "hide" the text somehow,

Yes, for the final image ... though if you start with the text below the texture, it won't be visible anyway.

the text layer in the layers box. Maybe you need to flatten it first?

Can't imagine how that would make a difference at this stage.

Jeff Avveduti
2005-11-10 02:56:21 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Transparent Logos...

On Tue, 2005-11-08 at 23:23 -0700, Matt Gushee wrote:

michael chang wrote:

You probably understood this, but it's a potential point of confusion, so let's try to make it totally clear: "selected" here means to make sure, before opening the Bump Map dialog, that the texture is the active layer in the main window (selected in the layers dialog).

Maybe what you're missing is that, in the Bump Map dialog, you have to select the text layer as the Bump Map ... that option is in the upper right corner (at least for me on Linux ... I don't imagine it varies by platform, but it's conceivable).

I don't think the text is supposed to change, the background is. Then you should be able to "hide" the text somehow,

Yes, for the final image ... though if you start with the text below the texture, it won't be visible anyway.

Ok, that did it... I was not selecting the texture layer first, then the bump map.
Very good. How can I save it out to be able to drop it over another picture? Brush? I need to be able to resize it, if nessary.

Jeff Avveduti
2005-11-13 16:46:31 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Transparent Logos...

On Thu, 2005-11-10 at 20:41 +0000, michael chang wrote:

On 11/10/05, Jeff Avveduti wrote:

On Tue, 2005-11-08 at 23:23 -0700, Matt Gushee wrote: michael chang wrote:

Ok, I must be doing something wrong. I opened a picture, add text

[Avveduti Photography], Filters -> Map -> Bump Map, no matter I change, the text does not change.

I move the window around to show the different letters of the text but

nothing. I slide everything to the far right... nothing. I hit ok and hide the layer... nothing.

What am I doing wrong?

Ok, that did it... I was not selecting the texture layer first, then the bump map.
Very good. How can I save it out to be able to drop it over another picture? Brush? I need to be able to resize it, if nessary.

Well, it's part of the layer... since it's not a seperate entitity you can't exactly just rip it off as-is and paste it somewhere else.

Try to perform the same technique, with the layer on the actual layer where you're going to "paste" the effect -- make sure to duplicate and hide one of the layers first, to make sure you have a backup in case of error (although Undo should cover most cases unless GIMP crashes, and you should save before you start to cover most of the rest of those).

--
~Mike
- Just my two cents
- No man is an island, and no man is unable.

I could do that but that is just not efficient. If I have 30 photographs to add the logo to, I don't want to add in all of those steps every time. I tried saving it as a brush and it stinks. It does not show all of the logo. I guess I will be forced to stay with the standard for now. Perhaps one day Gimp will be a replacement for me... for now, I guess not.

Carol Spears
2005-11-13 18:46:20 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Transparent Logos...

On Sun, Nov 13, 2005 at 09:46:31AM -0600, Jeff Avveduti wrote:

I could do that but that is just not efficient. If I have 30 photographs to add the logo to, I don't want to add in all of those steps every time. I tried saving it as a brush and it stinks. It does not show all of the logo. I guess I will be forced to stay with the standard for now. Perhaps one day Gimp will be a replacement for me... for now, I guess not.

you only need to make it once, unless you need thirty different logos.

did you try the second tutorial at www.gimp.org or did you only stick with getting instructions from this list?

GIMP is free for everyone. it however is not dumbed down for everyone.

did you try the Basic Logo or Beveled? you are getting answers from people who enjoy making graphics, not dummies.

carol

Donncha O Caoimh
2005-11-14 14:15:36 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Transparent Logos...

Hi Jeff,

That's the easy part - save your logo as a .xcf or .jpg and when you're editing a photo load up your logo image. Copy that image by hitting CTRL-c to copy, and then select your photo. CTRL-v to paste it.

Take a look at the Layers dialog (CTRL-L if it's not visible) and right click on the "Floating Selection (pasted layer)" layer and select "New Layer".

You should be able to drag the logo around your photo now using the "Move" tool (the one with the 4 arrows).

When saving as a jpeg, GIMP will ask you to merge the layers, that's perfectly normal.

That's probably something I should do with my own photos!

Hope that helps! Donncha.

Jeff Avveduti wrote:

michael chang wrote:

On 11/8/05, Jeff Avveduti > wrote:

[snip]

Jeff Avveduti
2005-11-24 22:37:34 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Transparent Logos...

Yes but the background is white? Why is it so hard to save a transparent logo? It was transparent... but when saving it, the background is white.

On Mon, 2005-11-14 at 13:15 +0000, Donncha O Caoimh wrote:

Hi Jeff,

That's the easy part - save your logo as a .xcf or .jpg and when you're editing a photo load up your logo image. Copy that image by hitting CTRL-c to copy, and then select your photo. CTRL-v to paste it.

Take a look at the Layers dialog (CTRL-L if it's not visible) and right click on the "Floating Selection (pasted layer)" layer and select "New Layer".

You should be able to drag the logo around your photo now using the "Move" tool (the one with the 4 arrows).

When saving as a jpeg, GIMP will ask you to merge the layers, that's perfectly normal.

That's probably something I should do with my own photos!

Hope that helps! Donncha.

Jeff Avveduti wrote:

michael chang wrote:

On 11/8/05, Jeff Avveduti > wrote:

[snip]

Jeffrey Brent McBeth
2005-11-24 23:00:57 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Transparent Logos...

On Thu, Nov 24, 2005 at 03:37:34PM -0600, Jeff Avveduti wrote:

Yes but the background is white? Why is it so hard to save a transparent logo? It was transparent... but when saving it, the background is white.

Probably because you are saving it in a format that doesn't support transparency, like JPEG. If you do that, it asks you to flatten the image, and will fill in transparency with the background color (more or less). If you want to maintain transparency, keep the logo in xcf, or png (they both support 8-bit transparency)

Jeff

Carol Spears
2005-11-24 23:26:18 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Transparent Logos...

two things. on this list we remove the portions that do not pretain to the exchange and we also reply under the relative portions. we wrote a web page, you can find it on the web site that describes what we consider to be etiquette -- not everyone agrees and we know this. if you have problems finding the web site or the page there, let me know so that we can make it easier to find.

the other thing is that jpegs cannot by definition contain transparency. they just were not made for that.

carol

Carol Spears
2005-11-24 23:32:16 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Transparent Logos...

On Thu, Nov 24, 2005 at 02:26:18PM -0800, Carol Spears wrote:

two things. on this list we remove the portions that do not pretain to the exchange and we also reply under the relative portions. we wrote a web page, you can find it on the web site that describes what we consider to be etiquette -- not everyone agrees and we know this. if you have problems finding the web site or the page there, let me know so that we can make it easier to find.

the other thing is that jpegs cannot by definition contain transparency. they just were not made for that.

s/pretain/pertain/

sorry.

carol

Jeff Avveduti
2005-11-25 06:12:52 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Transparent Logos...

Probably because you are saving it in a format that doesn't support transparency, like JPEG. If you do that, it asks you to flatten the image, and will fill in transparency with the background color (more or less). If you want to maintain transparency, keep the logo in xcf, or png (they both support 8-bit transparency)

Jeff

Ok, I know this is silly... but I am a baby in Gimp. Please bear with me...and thanks to everyone who has been answering my question.

That was what I was doing so that fixes that issue. Now, the instructions given is using a texture background. How can I just make a logo with a transparent background and then save it as mentioned above?

New --- size, background transparent -- add text --- bump map--- now what? I don't see what I did?
I know this is silly but....

Jeffrey Brent McBeth
2005-11-25 14:34:59 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Transparent Logos...

On Thu, Nov 24, 2005 at 11:12:52PM -0600, Jeff Avveduti wrote:

Ok, I know this is silly... but I am a baby in Gimp. Please bear with me...and thanks to everyone who has been answering my question.

That was what I was doing so that fixes that issue. Now, the instructions given is using a texture background. How can I just make a logo with a transparent background and then save it as mentioned above?

New --- size, background transparent -- add text --- bump map--- now what? I don't see what I did?
I know this is silly but....

Okay, one step at a time.

New --- size, background transparent Text (Hello World) in white
Dialogs -> Layers -> New Layer
Filters -> Render -> Clouds -> Plasma In the Layer Dialog,
Click on the text layer (I move it to the top, too (up arrow on the bottom)) Filters -> Map -> Bump Map
Select the Plasma layer as the bumpmap layer play with the parameters
click okay
You can then (if you are done with it) delete the plasma layer (or just hide it)

I suspect that what may be tripping you up is the the GIMP doesn't get rid of the bumpmap layer after bump mapping, and it may be higher in the stack than your text. Perhaps just deleting or hiding that layer will give you what you want?

Jeff