RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

error starting gimp from the command-line on Windows XP

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

error starting gimp from the command-line on Windows XP Diaa Sami 01 Oct 09:06
  error starting gimp from the command-line on Windows XP Diaa Sami 01 Oct 09:49
   error starting gimp from the command-line on Windows XP Michael Schumacher 01 Oct 10:04
Diaa Sami
2005-10-01 09:06:50 UTC (over 18 years ago)

I have gimp 2.2.8 installed on my system. everything is fine when I try to run it from Start Menu or from Windows Explorer.
however, when I try to run it from the command-line(by writing the full path of the executable), I get an error: "gimp-2.2.exe - Unable to locate component this application has failed to start because libglib-2.0-0.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix the problem"

any idea why this happens(and how)?

Diaa Sami
2005-10-01 09:49:44 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Diaa Sami wrote:

I have gimp 2.2.8 installed on my system. everything is fine when I try to run it from Start Menu or from Windows Explorer.
however, when I try to run it from the command-line(by writing the full path of the executable), I get an error: "gimp-2.2.exe - Unable to locate component this application has failed to start because libglib-2.0-0.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix the problem"

any idea why this happens(and how)?

Well, I found out the problem, it lies in the way the gimp gets installed on windows.
for some reason, the installer doesn't place the dll's need by the gimp(including libglib-2.0-0.dll) into the %Windows%\System32 folder, instead, it uses the key
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\ in the registry to tell windows to use some paths for finding binaries when this executable is launched.
also, seems that these paths aren't used when launching from the command-line.

I hope this can be fixed soon, I could provide more information if you want.

Michael Schumacher
2005-10-01 10:04:18 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Diaa Sami wrote:

Well, I found out the problem, it lies in the way the gimp gets installed on windows.
for some reason, the installer doesn't place the dll's need by the gimp(including libglib-2.0-0.dll) into the %Windows%\System32 folder,

This is intentional. Blindly copying to system32 is the reason why most Windows system are in such an inferior state.

instead, it uses the key
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\ in the registry to tell windows to use some paths for finding binaries when this executable is launched.

This is the right thing to do - this way, the DLLs are only used if a program which needs them is launched, and otherwise don't interfere.

also, seems that these paths aren't used when launching from the command-line.

And finally this is why Microsoft provide the 'start' command. Using

start gimp-2.2.exe

will add the App Paths entry to PATH, just like it is done when starting GIMP from e.g. Explorer.

HTH,
Michael