RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Bezier paths problems

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Bezier paths problems Doug 22 Sep 14:19
  Bezier paths problems Simon Budig 22 Sep 14:57
Bezier paths problems Michael Schumacher 22 Sep 15:14
  Bezier paths problems Doug 23 Sep 13:15
Doug
2005-09-22 14:19:07 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Bezier paths problems

I'm using Gimp v2.2 and having some problems with the Bezier paths:

(1) the path will not close when I click on the starting point (though it will convert to a selection)

(2) there is no special Paths dialog for Bezier paths, with Control Point Mode Buttons, on the Paths Dialogue (as in Gimp v1)

(3) default behaviour on the Bezier path seems to be to Add points to the path. I can move them and twiddle the control handles, but can't Delete any points.

Are there any ways round this?

Doug

Simon Budig
2005-09-22 14:57:12 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Bezier paths problems

Doug (doug_bainbridge@onetel.com) wrote:

(1) the path will not close when I click on the starting point (though it will convert to a selection)

(2) there is no special Paths dialog for Bezier paths, with Control Point Mode Buttons, on the Paths Dialogue (as in Gimp v1)

(3) default behaviour on the Bezier path seems to be to Add points to the path. I can move them and twiddle the control handles, but can't Delete any points.

I've rewritten the path tool extensively for Gimp 2.0 and it works quite different from the v1.x path tool.

The path tool has three different modes for its operation, I recommend to switch between them with the modifier keys.

To connect two control points (close a path) have one of them active and click on the other one while holding CTRL. Pressing Enter is a good way to convert a path to a selection.

The old tool had explicit buttons for adding/deleting points and behaved weird otherwise (IMHO of course...)

As a rule of thumb for the new tool you can use this:

(Design mode) no modifiers: Move stuff
Shift : Move stuff symmetrically

(Edit mode) CTRL : Add stuff to the path
CTRL+Shift : Delete stuff from the path

In more detail: with no modifiers pressed you can move stuff like handles, anchors and segments around, clicks on the canvas create new points. Shift allows multiple anchors to be selected for moving around and makes the editing behaviour of the handles symmetric.

CTRL adds stuff: You can add a control point to a segment, you can drag a handle from the anchor (if the handles are not yet outside the handle), you can create new segments between open ends of the path.

CTRL+SHIFT deletes stuff: you can delete anchors, "delete" handles by moving them back to their anchor and open up a path by clicking on a segment.

Then there is the move tool that moves the whole stroke or (with SHIFT) all strokes of a path.

I hope this helps, Simon

Michael Schumacher
2005-09-22 15:14:49 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Bezier paths problems

Von: Doug

http://docs.gimp.org/en/ch07s06.html#gimp-tool-path

HTH, Michael

Doug
2005-09-23 13:15:17 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Bezier paths problems

Michael Schumacher wrote:

Von: Doug

http://docs.gimp.org/en/ch07s06.html#gimp-tool-path

HTH, Michael

Many thanks, Simon and Michael.

Doug