RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Keep exif info with file_jpeg_save?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Keep exif info with file_jpeg_save? Stephan Brunner 08 Sep 19:43
  Keep exif info with file_jpeg_save? Carol Spears 08 Sep 20:34
  Keep exif info with file_jpeg_save? michael chang 08 Sep 22:28
Stephan Brunner
2005-09-08 19:43:52 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Hi all,

I'm writing my first gimp-perl plug-in and it is really doing what it's supposed to do - except one thing:
After some modifications of an image, the script saves the image with gimp_jpeg_save, but there is no "write exif"-option and so no exif-info is written with the saved jpg. In the normal GUI "File->Save"-Dialog, however, there is this option and it works as expected.

Did I miss something, or is there really no way to get the same exif-containing jpg by script than by interactive mode?

Tanks in advance,

Stephan (gimp 2.2.6 on Debian Sarge)

Carol Spears
2005-09-08 20:34:00 UTC (over 18 years ago)

On Thu, Sep 08, 2005 at 07:43:52PM +0200, Stephan Brunner wrote:

Hi all,

I'm writing my first gimp-perl plug-in and it is really doing what it's supposed to do - except one thing:
After some modifications of an image, the script saves the image with gimp_jpeg_save, but there is no "write exif"-option and so no exif-info is written with the saved jpg. In the normal GUI "File->Save"-Dialog, however, there is this option and it works as expected.

Did I miss something, or is there really no way to get the same exif-containing jpg by script than by interactive mode?

can you use perl directly to use libexif?

as far as i know, the gimps metadata editor is not committed yet even in cvs if it exists. the developers have many complaints about how it works as well. i think it should be easier and quicker just to use perl to do it while they sort through things and become inspired to commit whatever things they have done so far.

at least, this was the approach i was going to take with python and my scripting attempts ....

carol

michael chang
2005-09-08 22:28:16 UTC (over 18 years ago)

On 9/8/05, Stephan Brunner wrote:

This is probably a limitation in gimp-jpeg-save -- try looking in the procedure browser to see if there is an alternative function to do what you want. If not, gimp-perl has been known to be slightly outdated and/or semi-broken for a while, and it may be easier to write scripts in python or script-fu (although I love perl myself -- I'd use it if I could, but I find that it's support is sketchy to date, unfortunately).

As for using 2.2.6 on Sarge -- isn't a 2.2.7cvs-something that "reads" 2.2.8 package available in Debian? Because that's what I'm using...