RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Livre sur Gimp

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

13 of 13 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Livre sur Gimp cedric GEMY 04 Sep 22:38
  Livre sur Gimp Eric P 05 Sep 00:06
   Livre sur Gimp michael chang 05 Sep 14:24
    Livre sur Gimp Alan Lythaby 05 Sep 15:28
     Livre sur Gimp Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris 20 Sep 17:12
    Livre sur Gimp woc 05 Sep 17:04
   Livre sur Gimp Akkana Peck 05 Sep 19:24
    Livre sur Gimp michael chang 05 Sep 19:29
     Livre sur Gimp Michael Schumacher 05 Sep 19:54
     Livre sur Gimp Akkana Peck 05 Sep 20:19
      Livre sur Gimp michael chang 05 Sep 23:31
Livre sur Gimp Michael Schumacher 05 Sep 17:42
  Livre sur Gimp Olivier Lecarme 05 Sep 17:58
cedric GEMY
2005-09-04 22:38:58 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Livre sur Gimp

French speaker may now find "Gimp 2 Efficace" (Ed. Eyrolles) http://www.eyrolles.com/Audiovisuel/Livre/9782212116663/livre-gimp-2-efficace.php

No books about Gimp have been published since long a time. I hope it will be useful for users.

Cedric

Eric P
2005-09-05 00:06:56 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Livre sur Gimp

cedric GEMY wrote:

No books about Gimp have been published since long a time.

Exactly. Where are all the English Gimp 2.x books? I think I've seen 2 French books so far, and that's it.

I count ~8 Gimp 1.x books on Amazon... I wonder if they didn't make any money.

It's a shame as the 2.x series just blows heaps and chunks over 1.x. And it's nicer to look at as well... would make for a nice looking (and useful) book.

My 2 bits.
Eric

michael chang
2005-09-05 14:24:13 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Livre sur Gimp

On 9/4/05, Eric P wrote:

cedric GEMY wrote:

Exactly. Where are all the English Gimp 2.x books? I think I've seen 2 French books so far, and that's it.

Maybe the publishers think that GIMP 2.x books are redundant. Or maybe they're waiting for GIMP 2.4 or GIMP 3 before releasing more books. The development processes have been going quite quickly, whereas publishing a book takes quite some time (by the time books for 2.2 are completed, 2.4, with it's revamped menus will probably be out, maybe?).

Alan Lythaby
2005-09-05 15:28:32 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Livre sur Gimp

michael chang wrote:

On 9/4/05, Eric P wrote:

cedric GEMY wrote:

Maybe the publishers think that GIMP 2.x books are redundant. Or maybe they're waiting for GIMP 2.4 or GIMP 3 before releasing more books. The development processes have been going quite quickly, whereas publishing a book takes quite some time (by the time books for 2.2 are completed, 2.4, with it's revamped menus will probably be out, maybe?).

Just a thought...

Would "self publishing" be a way to it??

Using something like... http://www.lulu.com

Alan.

woc
2005-09-05 17:04:47 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Livre sur Gimp

On 9/5/05, michael chang wrote:

Questions about where the Gimp will be in a year or two are probably very significant to publishers. For example, will GimpShop be updated to support 2.4, or not?

Michael Schumacher
2005-09-05 17:42:10 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Livre sur Gimp

Von: michael chang

There are two books in german, convering GIMP 2.0, AFAIK. The situation you described has happened, they got somewhat outdated by the release of GIMP 2.2 (though one can also use good 1.x books with newer versions of GIMP).

If anyone knows of other GIMP 2 books, in any language, please post about them here. We can then add them to http://www.gimp.org/books/ - there is one 2.2 book mentioned there, btw.

HTH, Michael

Olivier Lecarme
2005-09-05 17:58:47 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Livre sur Gimp

There are two books in german, convering GIMP 2.0, AFAIK. The situation you described has happened, they got somewhat outdated by the release of GIMP 2.2 (though one can also use good 1.x books with newer versions of GIMP).

If anyone knows of other GIMP 2 books, in any language, please post about them here. We can then add them to http://www.gimp.org/books/ - there is one 2.2 book mentioned there, btw.

Maybe also it would be useful to know of pending projects to write new books. For example, I'm contemplating writing a book, both in French and in English, to be completed in about two years. If somebody has similar projects, it would be useful to know, in order not to waste efforts.

In my opinion, writing a full-fledged book about Gimp is a major effort for the author, and publishing it with proper color illustrations is a major effort for the publisher.

Akkana Peck
2005-09-05 19:24:03 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Livre sur Gimp

Eric P writes:

I'm working on a GIMP book, for Apress. It won't be out until next year, unfortunately (delays in the publishing process): we're currently aiming at April 2006. It will cover 2.4 as well as 2.2.

...Akkana

michael chang
2005-09-05 19:29:18 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Livre sur Gimp

On 9/5/05, Akkana Peck wrote:

Eric P writes:

I'm working on a GIMP book, for Apress. It won't be out until next year, unfortunately (delays in the publishing process): we're currently aiming at April 2006. It will cover 2.4 as well as 2.2.

How can you do that? We're on 2.3.3... [or do you write about what's in CVS and hope that it doesn't change too much?]

Michael Schumacher
2005-09-05 19:54:13 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Livre sur Gimp

michael chang wrote:

How can you do that? We're on 2.3.3... [or do you write about what's in CVS and hope that it doesn't change too much?]

Akkana has some control over how 2.4 will look like - for example, the menu structure :)

Michael

Akkana Peck
2005-09-05 20:19:23 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Livre sur Gimp

michael chang writes:

currently aiming at April 2006. It will cover 2.4 as well as 2.2.

Mostly it involves trying to keep informed of changes, and being ready to do a lot of last-minute revisions. Several early chapters are already obsolete and will already have to be rewritten, but I knew that was a possibility going in.

The UI coverage may not be perfect (and of course, any program can change at any time -- there's never a guarantee that 2.4.1 won't change some UI detail compared to 2.4.0) but at least the book will cover the major UI and feature changes in 2.4.

...Akkana

michael chang
2005-09-05 23:31:23 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Livre sur Gimp

michael chang writes:

currently aiming at April 2006. It will cover 2.4 as well as 2.2.

Mostly it involves trying to keep informed of changes, and being ready to do a lot of last-minute revisions. Several early chapters are already obsolete and will already have to be rewritten, but I knew that was a possibility going in.

The UI coverage may not be perfect (and of course, any program can change at any time -- there's never a guarantee that 2.4.1 won't change some UI detail compared to 2.4.0) but at least the book will cover the major UI and feature changes in 2.4.

I suppose that's true -- I've read books that were on version 5 of Java, but were written with a Beta SDK and contained an old SDK (1.4 I think it was) on the CD in the back. *shrugs* [By the way, in this case, the versions were 1.4 -> 5, meaning the one that was released right after 1.4 was numbered 5. Really weird.]

Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris
2005-09-20 17:12:50 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Livre sur Gimp

Hi,

I just got the news of a book published here in Brazil.

It is called "GIMP - guia do usuário" (GIMP - user guide), and written by a brazillian. I've heard it was been written, but I do not know the author at all. As it has been written over the last months, I suppose it does cover GIMP 2.2 at least.

Ow..the book index is avilable in a PDF - and I can see a section named "welcome to the instalation of GIMP 2.2".

It is priced at R$68.00 (~ 25.00 Euro) and ahs over 300 pages.

The URL to the book is: http://www.novatec.com.br/livros/gimp/

Regards,

JS ->