RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

New to list--curious about progress of 'Resources'

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

21 of 23 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

200508131639.09210.soibelma... 07 Oct 20:17
  New to list--curious about progress of 'Resources' Carol Spears 14 Aug 07:33
   New to list--curious about progress of 'Resources' sam ende 14 Aug 13:43
   New to list--curious about progress of 'Resources' michael chang 14 Aug 14:27
    New to list--curious about progress of 'Resources' sam ende 14 Aug 15:20
     New to list--curious about progress of 'Resources' michael chang 15 Aug 01:24
    tutorial/screenshots sam ende 14 Aug 15:26
     tutorial/screenshots Eric P 14 Aug 19:16
      tutorial/screenshots Eric P 14 Aug 21:13
       tutorial/screenshots Stephan Hegel 15 Aug 16:20
     tutorial/screenshots Akkana Peck 14 Aug 19:35
      tutorial/screenshots sam ende 14 Aug 20:28
     tutorial/screenshots michael chang 15 Aug 01:45
    New to list--curious about progress of 'Resources' Carol Spears 14 Aug 20:22
     New to list--curious about progress of 'Resources' michael chang 15 Aug 01:37
      New to list--curious about progress of 'Resources' Carol Spears 15 Aug 03:57
       New to list--curious about progress of 'Resources' michael chang 15 Aug 04:55
        New to list--curious about progress of 'Resources' Carol Spears 15 Aug 09:03
         New to list--curious about progress of 'Resources' michael chang 16 Aug 01:03
          New to list--curious about progress of 'Resources' Carol Spears 16 Aug 03:16
           New to list--curious about progress of 'Resources' michael chang 16 Aug 16:46
200508150231.51130.sam@send... 07 Oct 20:17
  tutorial/screenshots michael chang 15 Aug 05:05
Carol Spears
2005-08-14 07:33:48 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

On Sat, Aug 13, 2005 at 04:39:09PM -0700, Michael Soibelman wrote:

I've been watching the (Gimp)web site for some time. Is there some realistic date when we can expect to see the 'Resources' section updated??

It says: " Soon, you will be able to download additional brushes, patterns, gradients and other useful files contributed by some GIMP users and developers. Please be patient while we organize this section of the site."

I've been reading that for a long time now and am wondering when this might happen. Many new versions of Gimp have been introduced in the mean time. Though it most certainly is nice to have new improved core functionality, for persons using the Gimp, plug-ins and resources such as brushes, patterns and gradients are immediately usefull and utilized !!

Thanks for any information regarding this and for those who are working on this I do appreciate all the work you are doing !!

we have been talking about running another splash contest for the first two weeks in September. the problem with this is that the timing has more to do with birthdays than it does with an important release (like something more than a 2.3.version). after the splash, running some littler week long image collections -- not exactly contests....

i took a break from whatever i was doing and made a script that picks a resource from several different catagories every day. it would be nice if there could be a web page for each resource showing it in use. it might also help to clear some of the more useless of the resources out. here is the resource a day page my script makes: http://carol.gimp.org/blog.html
it is ugly and stupid and was fun to put together. the pattern of the day is not viewable via internet explorer either, a design flaw.

maybe it would be fun to put the contest back up to collect images that show the different resources in action and skip the splash 'test until it looks like a real release is inevitable or whatever they call it.

carol

sam ende
2005-08-14 13:43:41 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

On Sunday 14 August 2005 06:33, Carol Spears wrote:

maybe it would be fun to put the contest back up to collect images that show the different resources in action and skip the splash 'test until it looks like a real release is inevitable or whatever they call it.

i think that's a very cool idea.

sammi

michael chang
2005-08-14 14:27:54 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

On 8/14/05, Carol Spears wrote:

we have been talking about running another splash contest for the first two weeks in September. the problem with this is that the timing has more to do with birthdays than it does with an important release (like something more than a 2.3.version). after the splash, running some littler week long image collections -- not exactly contests....

Ooh... sounds like fun. ^^

here is the resource a day page my script makes: http://carol.gimp.org/blog.html
it is ugly and stupid and was fun to put together. the pattern of the

Hah. No kidding... first thing we should have is a "design a resource of the day page layout contest". ^^

day is not viewable via internet explorer either, a design flaw.

Why are you using CSS for the actual pattern: "background-image:url(/gimp2/resources/default/2.3.0-patterns-3D_Green.png)" yet you have for the frame?
Wouldn't this make more sense as: "background-image:url(frame.png)" and ? [BTW, I believe the tag is deprecicated in HTML -- they now suggest as a single standalone tag. But that's another issue entirely, and not really all that important.]

maybe it would be fun to put the contest back up to collect images that show the different resources in action

Sounds like fun, but are we allowed to create resources that aren't made entirely in GIMP (e.g. use an external tool, like POV-Ray) and then use GIMP to make them more resource-like?

and skip the splash 'test until
it looks like a real release is inevitable or whatever they call it.

Maybe we should have one or two splashes in ... for lack of a better word, reserve, so that we don't have to be rushed when they come in... or we could hold an extended one (e.g. 1/2 month, 1-2 months) that occurs concurrently with the pattern ones, and then after the release, hold a "regular" one.

sam ende
2005-08-14 15:20:28 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

On Sunday 14 August 2005 13:27, michael chang wrote:

Sounds like fun,

it does sound like fun. i was quite disapointed whne i discoverd gimp a few years ago that the contest and display areas of what you could do with the gimp were and are so dead.

but are we allowed to create resources that aren't made entirely in GIMP (e.g. use an external tool, like POV-Ray) and then use GIMP to make them more resource-like?

it would make sense, but there is an awful lot you can do with just the gimp, apart from the fractal plug-ins (which could be improved) there are pretty neat ways of creating original images, ie filters/render/patterns/defraction patterns, or qubist.

Maybe we should have one or two splashes in ...

what is a splash ?

sammi

sam ende
2005-08-14 15:26:26 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

tutorial/screenshots

i would find it a lot easier to write tutorials and the like if the drop down menus did not disapear when doing screenshots, is there a way to keep them dropped down for screenshots ?

sammi

Eric P
2005-08-14 19:16:54 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

tutorial/screenshots

sam ende wrote:

i would find it a lot easier to write tutorials and the like if the drop down menus did not disapear when doing screenshots, is there a way to keep them dropped down for screenshots ?

If you run Linux (or maybe some other unices), try this quick 'n dirty script.

For grabbing the whole screen: xwd -root | xwdtopnm 2> /dev/null | pnmtopng 2> /dev/null > /home/buffalo/graphics/screenshots/screen_`date +%Y%m%d%H%M_%S`.png

For grabbing a window (it'll give you a crosshair): xwd | xwdtopnm 2> /dev/null | pnmtopng 2> /dev/null > /home/buffalo/graphics/screenshots/screen_`date +%Y%m%d%H%M_%S`.png

0. Make sure you have the 'netpbm' package installed 1. Copy line (above) into its own file 2. chmod 755 filename
3. place it in your ~/bin folder or a global bin folder 4. make sure you have a directory called ~/graphics/screenshots 5. map both files to a keyboard shortcut via your window manager

Done.

Akkana Peck
2005-08-14 19:35:44 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

tutorial/screenshots

sam ende writes:

The screenshot window lets you set a delay in seconds. You can use that time to go back to the window you're shooting and pop up whatever menus you need.

If the menu goes outside of the window it's in, you'll need to use "full screen" or "region of your desktop" instead of "window" in the screenshot dialog, otherwise you'll only get the part of the menu that overlaps the window borders.

When you click ok in the dialog, you choose the window or region immediately, then the delay starts, giving you time to place the cursor or pop up any menus you need.

Disclaimer: This works on Linux, anyway ...

...Akkana

Carol Spears
2005-08-14 20:22:12 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

On Sun, Aug 14, 2005 at 08:27:54AM -0400, michael chang wrote:

here is the resource a day page my script makes: http://carol.gimp.org/blog.html

Hah. No kidding... first thing we should have is a "design a resource of the day page layout contest". ^^

getting the information to the web page was my goal. when it all started to get there, successfully -- this is when the ugly problems started.

to be honest, i saw a beautiful display of gimp patterns on the television and this was the inspiration to start working with them. it was quasi-real life emulating software resources. funny. and it was funny that it looked so nice as well. they even used the "maple leaves" pattern. heh. big circular "blue squares" pattern, dangling precariously over their heads. and i guess the smell of horse manure wafting through the room as well -- although this is not a gimp resource that i have access to.

Why are you using CSS for the actual pattern: "background-image:url(/gimp2/resources/default/2.3.0-patterns-3D_Green.png)" yet you have for the frame?
Wouldn't this make more sense as: "background-image:url(frame.png)" and ? [BTW, I believe the tag is deprecicated in HTML -- they now suggest as a single standalone tag. But that's another issue entirely, and not really all that important.]

two reasons. to be mean. also, what i wanted was a sappy portrait look. i got bored with making a fancy frame though and stuck by what color or metal or wood look to make it. i recently looked through css2 stuff to see if they had elliptical clipping and i had missed it. i get bored with rectangles on web pages. don't you?

maybe it would be fun to put the contest back up to collect images that show the different resources in action

Sounds like fun, but are we allowed to create resources that aren't made entirely in GIMP (e.g. use an external tool, like POV-Ray) and then use GIMP to make them more resource-like?

i think many of the current patterns were created with POV-Ray.

Maybe we should have one or two splashes in ... for lack of a better word, reserve, so that we don't have to be rushed when they come in... or we could hold an extended one (e.g. 1/2 month, 1-2 months) that occurs concurrently with the pattern ones, and then after the release, hold a "regular" one.

here is the list of the number of resources: gradients_number = 78
patterns_number = 58
palettes_number = 39
brushes_number = 48
tips_number = 34
plugins_number = 255
scripts_number = 207
translations_number = 54
changelogs_number = 1315

the plug-ins and scripts number is a little bloated -- there are some plug-ins that demand to be installed in the gimp system files which is where i counted.

i was looking into having them rotate together, this time for a journal page. if each gradient remains on the page for 3 days, the brushes would have to remain on the page for 5 days. i was trying to plan this "journal" page so that they all started and ended together. i went to sleep when i realized i was starting to see "resource leap days" in my ideas....

seems like every resource should get a week. i tried my hand at something that gave you two days to be artistic and i failed. i blame the pressure. if every gradient got 7 days it would take 546 days to run through them completely. i think just interupting that for splash contests will be fun and a refreshing change.

i am particularly fond of the translation of the day. it would be interesting to collect any urls for gimp information in that language on these days. 54 is a number to be bragged about.

then there is the idea of new resources. lately, adrian has been around and playing with the brushes. he has two things he is working on. one is this jitter effect for the brushes: http://carol.gimp.org/gimp2/artsy-fartsy/jitterbrush/ the xcf is there so you can see the path that was stroked using this new brush setting. this is patch from bugzilla: http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=163049 he was working on another paint thing -- something about smudging. i am unable to find the sample image he made, but the smudges with the green pepper were really beautiful. i wanted my gimp to work that way and i wanted to start making vegetable brushes to feed it.

i am typing too much today, sorry.

along with the journal idea i had for the same information that is on that first ugly page, i am considering how to have a "guest resource of the day" without having too many resources to choose from and how to do that without offending people.

in the end, collecting good resources and examples should be the goal more than something competitive. the apparatus for collecting images and information is already available. if we can figure out something that will work without getting too boring or disruptive the software should already be there to be implemented.

sometimes, my ideas get out of hand or too complex....

carol

sam ende
2005-08-14 20:28:55 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

tutorial/screenshots

On Sunday 14 August 2005 18:35, Akkana Peck wrote:

sam ende writes:

The screenshot window lets you set a delay in seconds. You can use that time to go back to the window you're shooting and pop up whatever menus you need.

If the menu goes outside of the window it's in, you'll need to use "full screen" or "region of your desktop" instead of "window" in the screenshot dialog, otherwise you'll only get the part of the menu that overlaps the window borders.

When you click ok in the dialog, you choose the window or region immediately, then the delay starts, giving you time to place the cursor or pop up any menus you need.

Disclaimer: This works on Linux, anyway ...

this is unfortunately the picture i get using that method http://www.sende.co.uk/screenshot.jpg with a five second delay, i have tried allsorts in the past, shorter delays, longer, no delays, whole screens, et blah. using gimp 2.2.6 on debian sarge.
but someone else has sent me a mail with a differnt method, i shall try that one then, just that it looks a bit complicated.

sammi

Eric P
2005-08-14 21:13:34 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

tutorial/screenshots

Eric P wrote:

sam ende wrote:

If you run Linux (or maybe some other unices), try this quick 'n dirty script.

For grabbing the whole screen: xwd -root | xwdtopnm 2> /dev/null | pnmtopng 2> /dev/null > /home/buffalo/graphics/screenshots/screen_`date +%Y%m%d%H%M_%S`.png

For grabbing a window (it'll give you a crosshair): xwd | xwdtopnm 2> /dev/null | pnmtopng 2> /dev/null > /home/buffalo/graphics/screenshots/screen_`date +%Y%m%d%H%M_%S`.png

0. Make sure you have the 'netpbm' package installed 1. Copy line (above) into its own file 2. chmod 755 filename
3. place it in your ~/bin folder or a global bin folder 4. make sure you have a directory called ~/graphics/screenshots 5. map both files to a keyboard shortcut via your window manager

Done.

A minor improvement to the script (I call it 'xwd_screen_grab' on my computer). Now, just map your keyboard shortcuts as follows:

For grabbing a single window xwd_screen_grab

Grab the whole screen xwd_screen_grab -root

Here's the script: #!/bin/bash

arg=''

if [ "$1" = "-root" ]; then arg='-root'
fi

xwd $arg | xwdtopnm 2> /dev/null | pnmtopng 2> /dev/null > /home/dit/graphics/screenshots/screen_`date +%Y%m%d%H%M_%S`.png

michael chang
2005-08-15 01:24:49 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

On 8/14/05, sam ende wrote:

what is a splash ?

A splash image. Refers to that (little, or not-so-little) picture you see when the GIMP (or many other programs) starts up, and is loading. Usually, displays a loading bar of some sort. [GIMP, I believe, is one of the few programs that I know of that likes to change it's splash screen with every release, and then some.]

Many versions of Windows have splash screens as well, to varying extents. Windows 9x had a little picture that flashed on, then off, then on again during boot. If you knew how, you could change it, too. Windows XP has one that fades in, and shows a little purple line scrolling across the screen (or someting like that).

michael chang
2005-08-15 01:37:20 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

we have been talking about running another splash contest for the first two weeks in September. the problem with this is that the timing has more to do with birthdays than it does with an important release (like

What birthday exactly is this running for, anyways?

getting the information to the web page was my goal. when it all started to get there, successfully -- this is when the ugly problems started.

It could be worse, I suppose.

also, what i wanted was a sappy portrait look. i got bored with making a fancy frame though and stuck by what color or metal or wood look to make it. i recently looked through css2 stuff to see if they had elliptical clipping and i had missed it. i get bored with rectangles on web pages. don't you?

That's why so many people preprocesss their patterns and images before putting them on a web server... as for the rectangle issue, well, it's not like the circle is all that much better. (No offense.) If you really want to get creative, try going for a mosaic effect... [try using a table with 0 for the spacing and no borders and the like]

o.O

patterns_number = 58
palettes_number = 39
brushes_number = 48
tips_number = 34
plugins_number = 255
scripts_number = 207
translations_number = 54
changelogs_number = 1315

i was looking into having them rotate together, this time for a journal page. if each gradient remains on the page for 3 days, the brushes would have to remain on the page for 5 days. i was trying to plan this "journal" page so that they all started and ended together. i went to sleep when i realized i was starting to see "resource leap days" in my ideas....

And yet you understand this planning has to be flexible for the addition of new patterns. Surely there is a way to devise an algorithm for this? For example, ensure that there is a minimum length for an item to be on a page, and an ideal length for the cycling, and then how frequently to cycle. Nothing says you can't have an automated script to calculate which one it's on in a cycle, and have things cycling as frequently as every hour or three hours or something.

seems like every resource should get a week. i tried my hand at

1315 weeks for the change log entries? I think not!

something that gave you two days to be artistic and i failed. i blame

I'd rather see more things in a shorter period of time than have something hanging on the wall for two days. It *is* a resource page after all -- besides, you could always put in a fixed pattern, and then that allows you to give the page a specific time code or similar to get the same set again...

the pressure. if every gradient got 7 days it would take 546 days to run through them completely. i think just interupting that for splash contests will be fun and a refreshing change.

It will, surely. Then again, look at the IRTC -- they run contests year round; each round lasts about 3-4 months.

then there is the idea of new resources. lately, adrian has been around and playing with the brushes. he has two things he is working on. one is this jitter effect for the brushes: http://carol.gimp.org/gimp2/artsy-fartsy/jitterbrush/

Nicey.

he was working on another paint thing -- something about smudging. i am unable to find the sample image he made, but the smudges with the green pepper were really beautiful. i wanted my gimp to work that way and i

I'm not surprised, to be honest. *remembers a thing about virtual apples somewhere*

wanted to start making vegetable brushes to feed it.

What about fruit brushes?

Gee, if you think that's too much typing... I wonder about how much typing I do. It's alright, I think.

along with the journal idea i had for the same information that is on that first ugly page, i am considering how to have a "guest resource of the day" without having too many resources to choose from and how to do that without offending people.

Ouch. Too much thinking.

in the end, collecting good resources and examples should be the goal more than something competitive. the apparatus for collecting images and information is already available. if we can figure out something that will work without getting too boring or disruptive the software should already be there to be implemented.

Meh.

So do those of many people.

One last note, what language is the R-o-D page generator written in? And how big is your resource collection (e.g. size)? Maybe I could take a look at either the former or the latter, and see what I can suggest.

Hm. You know what would be an interesting idea? A resource-a-day script project. It sounds like something you could put on sourceforge. ^^

michael chang
2005-08-15 01:45:33 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

tutorial/screenshots

is there a way to
keep them dropped down for screenshots ?

Not per se, but most of the menus are dockable -- meaning you can turn them into Windows. On Images, at least, the menus at the top are also accessable by right clicking -- then you can click the top line "---" and it will become a floating "dock" or "window". Drag this near the menu where it's supposed to be, and explain to viewers that it's not really a menu, but it's the contents of a menu. Or something like that.

What happened to taking screenshots by pushing the "PrintScreen" button on the keyboard?

Carol Spears
2005-08-15 03:57:08 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

On Sun, Aug 14, 2005 at 07:37:20PM -0400, michael chang wrote:

we have been talking about running another splash contest for the first two weeks in September. the problem with this is that the timing has more to do with birthdays than it does with an important release (like

early in september is the birthday of manish singh and akkana peck. mid september is sven neumann and later in september is mine. the end of december and beginning of january is also a time loaded with gimp birthdays. with school starting and stuff, i was also trying to think of something for gimp that would be fun. this is sounding to be a lot more fun that another splash contest.

It could be worse, I suppose.

i think that the web page generated by the script i am sharing later in this email is much much worse!

also, what i wanted was a sappy portrait look. i got bored with making a fancy frame though and stuck by what color or metal or wood look to make it. i recently looked through css2 stuff to see if they had elliptical clipping and i had missed it. i get bored with rectangles on web pages. don't you?

That's why so many people preprocesss their patterns and images before putting them on a web server... as for the rectangle issue, well, it's not like the circle is all that much better. (No offense.) If you really want to get creative, try going for a mosaic effect... [try using a table with 0 for the spacing and no borders and the like]

well, i was mostly scripting. not that the script is any prettier...

the images were made by another resource script i wrote, this one a plugin for gimp http://carol.gimp.org/resources/python/resources.py it would be trivial to change that script to make different shapes of images. and also trivial to use parts of that to make gimp make these pages and images at the same time. better because new patterns and other resources can be added and you know the image will exist. not better because i am uncertain if i am able to run gimp in a way that cron can use.

o.O

patterns_number = 58
palettes_number = 39
brushes_number = 48
tips_number = 34
plugins_number = 255
scripts_number = 207
translations_number = 54
changelogs_number = 1315

And yet you understand this planning has to be flexible for the addition of new patterns. Surely there is a way to devise an algorithm for this? For example, ensure that there is a minimum length for an item to be on a page, and an ideal length for the cycling, and then how frequently to cycle. Nothing says you can't have an automated script to calculate which one it's on in a cycle, and have things cycling as frequently as every hour or three hours or something.

well, no i do not understand that the planning has to be flexible to include new patterns. i think it would be better to aim for having improved collections for gimp-2.4. both the application and the web site.

my script shuffles the list of available resources. it can just as easily not shuffle them. it reads the available patterns from the system files, so the resources which are in my ~/.gimp-2.3/ are never seen. it can just as easily read different resources from a different directory.

seems like every resource should get a week. i tried my hand at

1315 weeks for the change log entries? I think not!

changelogs make themselves :)

something that gave you two days to be artistic and i failed. i blame

I'd rather see more things in a shorter period of time than have something hanging on the wall for two days. It *is* a resource page after all -- besides, you could always put in a fixed pattern, and then that allows you to give the page a specific time code or similar to get the same set again...

see them? one day. and that is how this page is written to work.

contribute examples of using a resource? a five day week seems fair for this. two days off inbetween "projects" for lack of a better name.

the pressure. if every gradient got 7 days it would take 546 days to run through them completely. i think just interupting that for splash contests will be fun and a refreshing change.

It will, surely. Then again, look at the IRTC -- they run contests year round; each round lasts about 3-4 months.

truthfully, i do not know how other things like this work.

then there is the idea of new resources. lately, adrian has been around and playing with the brushes. he has two things he is working on. one is this jitter effect for the brushes: http://carol.gimp.org/gimp2/artsy-fartsy/jitterbrush/

Nicey.

he was working on another paint thing -- something about smudging. i am unable to find the sample image he made, but the smudges with the green pepper were really beautiful. i wanted my gimp to work that way and i

I'm not surprised, to be honest. *remembers a thing about virtual apples somewhere*

it doesnt sound as funny when you say it.

Gee, if you think that's too much typing... I wonder about how much typing I do. It's alright, I think.

Ouch. Too much thinking.

resource leap days was also a too much thinking problem.

Meh.

So do those of many people.

One last note, what language is the R-o-D page generator written in? And how big is your resource collection (e.g. size)? Maybe I could take a look at either the former or the latter, and see what I can suggest.

python. i am at best a high school level scripter. python keeps it from not looking bad. also, i am not using my personal collection of resources. just the ones that come with gimp so far. this is a scheme to get new resources to the gimps web site and to the gimp itself. not a scheme, a python trick.

the web authors of the first generation of the gimps web site had a tarball of something like 40,000 gradients you could get and install if you wanted. i want to avoid this. i have personally collected brushes and all kinds of stuff from all over the place. i used all kinds of short hand in the names of the archives and directories they were stored in -- i have no idea if they are good or perverted or hidden windows virus.

gradients. every freaking gradient is beautiful. black-->white is goregeous if you look at it enough. just because it is pretty and it filled the sky in for this one photograph so well doesn't ever mean it will have a purpose again.

gimp needs more animated brushes.

here is a version of the script that has more information than the web page it makes uses:
http://carol.gimp.org/gimp2/resources/grod.py

my version here is already making index pages that list all of the resources it reads. if i can match that with a template of the same name, i think it is easy to work with the contest stuff at wgo to put something together.

Hm. You know what would be an interesting idea? A resource-a-day script project. It sounds like something you could put on sourceforge. ^^

it doesn't need to go on sourceforge to work on www.gimp.org

it does need to be cleaned up to read the ChangeLog less hacky.

carol

michael chang
2005-08-15 04:55:29 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

On Sun, Aug 14, 2005 at 07:37:20PM -0400, michael chang wrote:

birthdays. with school starting and stuff, i was also trying to think of something for gimp that would be fun. this is sounding to be a lot more fun that another splash contest.

o_O Well, in a way, I suppose...

i think that the web page generated by the script i am sharing later in this email is much much worse!

If I get a chance, I'll maybe take a look at it...

the images were made by another resource script i wrote, this one a plugin for gimp http://carol.gimp.org/resources/python/resources.py it would be trivial to change that script to make different shapes of images. and also trivial to use parts of that to make gimp make these pages and images at the same time. better because new patterns and other resources can be added and you know the image will exist. not better because i am uncertain if i am able to run gimp in a way that cron can use.

So don't use cron.

And yet you understand this planning has to be flexible for the addition of new patterns. Surely there is a way to devise an

well, no i do not understand that the planning has to be flexible to include new patterns. i think it would be better to aim for having improved collections for gimp-2.4. both the application and the web site.

Yeah. Okay.

my script shuffles the list of available resources. it can just as easily not shuffle them. it reads the available patterns from the system files, so the resources which are in my ~/.gimp-2.3/ are never seen. it can just as easily read different resources from a different directory.

How about multiple directories?

changelogs make themselves :)

I suppose

contribute examples of using a resource? a five day week seems fair for this. two days off inbetween "projects" for lack of a better name.

Sounds fair. Would it be ideal to have last week's contributions shown on the weekends (or two any other days of the week)? E.g. Week 1, Day one, results recieved on day 6, shown on week 2.

it doesnt sound as funny when you say it.

I'm sorry.

in the end, collecting good resources and examples should be the goal more than something competitive. the apparatus for collecting images

Definately.

and information is already available. if we can figure out something that will work without getting too boring or disruptive the software should already be there to be implemented.

Well, people have reimplemented stuff before (e.g. Apache 2, and other 2 projects) -- sometimes you learn lots of things after doing things the first time around that you can re apply. Or sometimes it's nice to take a different look at things.

python. i am at best a high school level scripter. python keeps it

Have you tried perl? It seems readily available for web usage (IIRC most CGI scripts are written in either Perl or C++), and handles text rather well, as well as a couple of other things...

from not looking bad. also, i am not using my personal collection of resources. just the ones that come with gimp so far. this is a scheme to get new resources to the gimps web site and to the gimp itself. not a scheme, a python trick.

Lol.

the web authors of the first generation of the gimps web site had a tarball of something like 40,000 gradients you could get and install if you wanted. i want to avoid this. i have personally collected brushes

Sounds like a good idea. A tarball is definately a bad idea, but that said, we still want to make things available when people want them. Static serving is good for this.

gradients. every freaking gradient is beautiful. black-->white is goregeous if you look at it enough. just because it is pretty and it filled the sky in for this one photograph so well doesn't ever mean it will have a purpose again.

gimp needs more animated brushes.

Both absolutely true.

here is a version of the script that has more information than the web page it makes uses:

my version here is already making index pages that list all of the resources it reads. if i can match that with a template of the same name, i think it is easy to work with the contest stuff at wgo to put something together.

I'll take a look at this some time. Later, I might end up dealing with Python to mess around with it ( - does Python have a steep learning curve? ) or trying to rewrite it in Perl/CGI with a couple of things added in.

it doesn't need to go on sourceforge to work on www.gimp.org

True.

Perl, IIRC, is designed to handle text, so you could try using python to fetch a processed chunk from a perl script on a web site...

That said, Perl, I'm very sure, is not good for everything. It's just what I know (in addition to POV-Ray SDL, and Game Maker Language (www.gamemaker.nl); and a basic comprehnsion of Java and C++; of which only Perl and POV-Ray I use commonly). I might end up learning Python if I get the time. I'll look at your script later.

It's a pity the ideas we have aren't ready now -- It'd be nice to have your "back-to-school" competition on the last two weeks of August, as opposed to the first two weeks of September. It'd be easier for me try and scribble something out, at the very list.

michael chang
2005-08-15 05:05:35 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

tutorial/screenshots

On Monday 15 August 2005 00:45, michael chang wrote:

is there a way to
keep them dropped down for screenshots ?

Not per se, but most of the menus are dockable -- meaning you can turn them into Windows. On Images, at least, the menus at the top are also accessable by right clicking -- then you can click the top line "---" and it will become a floating "dock" or "window". Drag this near the menu where it's supposed to be, and explain to viewers that it's not really a menu, but it's the contents of a menu. Or something like that.

ah, okay, i 'll try that first then, tommorrow.

What happened to taking screenshots by pushing the "PrintScreen" button on the keyboard?

never knew you could do that, i do have that key, it doesn't do much when you hit it.

In Windows, at least, it copies a copy of the current screen to the clipboard. Alt-printscreen just the current window. I believe the behaviour is supposed to be similar in some desktop manager on Linux. (Wow, that was a very stupid sentence.)

Carol Spears
2005-08-15 09:03:26 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

On Sun, Aug 14, 2005 at 10:55:29PM -0400, michael chang wrote:

On Sun, Aug 14, 2005 at 07:37:20PM -0400, michael chang wrote: i think that the web page generated by the script i am sharing later in this email is much much worse!

If I get a chance, I'll maybe take a look at it...

in a less than a half an hour i will see if cron puts my new efforts online.

So don't use cron.

cron might work tonight though, just not with gimp.

well, a look at the script you can see it involves a multitude of multiple directories.

Sounds fair. Would it be ideal to have last week's contributions shown on the weekends (or two any other days of the week)? E.g. Week 1, Day one, results recieved on day 6, shown on week 2.

i would first need to understand that before i could even consider it.

Well, people have reimplemented stuff before (e.g. Apache 2, and other 2 projects) -- sometimes you learn lots of things after doing things the first time around that you can re apply. Or sometimes it's nice to take a different look at things.

this is not a reimplementation. it should build on something that worked fine. the software that is. gamers.org left it broken in gnomecvs and it magically became fixed just in time for the last contest needing a reliable server. then it worked for the gnome splash contest. thank you for comparing it to Apache2, though. probably it is more like gimp2 to gimp2.2 though.

Have you tried perl? It seems readily available for web usage (IIRC most CGI scripts are written in either Perl or C++), and handles text rather well, as well as a couple of other things...

no, do you think it would work better?

i have an ongoing theory about the destruction that has befallen my life; occasionally, everything makes sense if i blame it all on daring to ask perl questions via the irc on #gimp.

i have seen python scripts used in the cgi-bin.

the web authors of the first generation of the gimps web site had a tarball of something like 40,000 gradients you could get and install if you wanted. i want to avoid this. i have personally collected brushes

Sounds like a good idea. A tarball is definately a bad idea, but that said, we still want to make things available when people want them. Static serving is good for this.

tomorrows task will be to make the script only write a link to the different r-o-d if its page has been modified since its creation.

I'll take a look at this some time. Later, I might end up dealing with Python to mess around with it ( - does Python have a steep learning curve? ) or trying to rewrite it in Perl/CGI with a couple of things added in.

i do not know about that. a lot depends on whether my script sends all that crap to my web site or not before anything can be said about python and its learning curve.

this is not unlike how i read the ChangeLog, however: http://carol.gimp.org/writing/listsoflists/cgo-Y3K.html

Perl, IIRC, is designed to handle text, so you could try using python to fetch a processed chunk from a perl script on a web site...

That said, Perl, I'm very sure, is not good for everything. It's just what I know (in addition to POV-Ray SDL, and Game Maker Language (www.gamemaker.nl); and a basic comprehnsion of Java and C++; of which only Perl and POV-Ray I use commonly). I might end up learning Python if I get the time. I'll look at your script later.

i am too old and blameless to learn c++.

It's a pity the ideas we have aren't ready now -- It'd be nice to have your "back-to-school" competition on the last two weeks of August, as opposed to the first two weeks of September. It'd be easier for me try and scribble something out, at the very list.

i dunno, i am watching the network seem to gurgle here with rsync. this is the one time i know that the net traffic on my computer was from something i did. :)

carol

Stephan Hegel
2005-08-15 16:20:08 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

tutorial/screenshots

Hi all,

For those of you who have installed the imagemagick package, try:

import -window root root.`date +%Y%m%d%H%M%S`.png

for the whole screen. Bind it to a key with your favourite window manager or the xbindkeys utility.

Kind regards, Stephan.

michael chang
2005-08-16 01:03:00 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

On 8/15/05, Carol Spears wrote:

in a less than a half an hour i will see if cron puts my new efforts online.

Okay.

well, a look at the script you can see it involves a multitude of multiple directories.

Okay, so I think I won't comment again on this until I've read the script.

Monday - Friday: Show "resource of the day". Saturday, Sunday: Show "resources of the past week, in use"

Better?

this is not a reimplementation. it should build on something that

I was referring to me, reimplementing your script...

worked fine. the software that is. gamers.org left it broken in gnomecvs and it magically became fixed just in time for the last contest

Magically? Figures.

needing a reliable server. then it worked for the gnome splash contest.

Perl, IIRC, has been used for dynamic page creation for ages, and contains modules to dynamically create pages on-the-fly, and handle various other CGI tasks. (Among other things, it can also reformat text, and take a binary file and pass it to a user in a browser.)

i have an ongoing theory about the destruction that has befallen my life; occasionally, everything makes sense if i blame it all on daring to ask perl questions via the irc on #gimp.

Oh ho ho. Have you read the documentation that comes packaged with Perl? If you use linux, install the perl-doc package (or whatever) and read the results in "perldoc perldoc" and "perldoc perl". If you use Windows, get the ActiveState installer, and open up the documentation viewer, by default, at "C:\perl\html\index.html". [I personally read this version in Firefox in Linux when working with my computer...]

True. But, then again, I've always worked with free web hosts to date (icky) and the ones that support scripting use Perl. PHP is too user-friendly (so they will make people pay for it), and I don't see Python *that* often on these sites.

tomorrows task will be to make the script only write a link to the different r-o-d if its page has been modified since its creation.

Hum.

i do not know about that. a lot depends on whether my script sends all that crap to my web site or not before anything can be said about python and its learning curve.

You could always generate the content *on* the website, as opposed to sending it to the website... just upload all the gradients and whatnot and your script first, and then have the script serve it to you.

this is not unlike how i read the ChangeLog, however: http://carol.gimp.org/writing/listsoflists/cgo-Y3K.html

How sad.

Well, I don't really use C++ -- and I believe I've deleted all the things I've done in C++ to date. Once, I had a CLI (Command Line Interface) version of the game Mancala. Of course, a nearly identical version, except with an AI, and a GUI (graphical user inteface), was nicely packaged in a package on Linux, so I got rid of my little program. It was an interesting exercise though, and gave me something to brag about to my friends. ^^

i dunno, i am watching the network seem to gurgle here with rsync. this is the one time i know that the net traffic on my computer was from something i did. :)

lol.

Carol Spears
2005-08-16 03:16:00 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

On Mon, Aug 15, 2005 at 07:03:00PM -0400, michael chang wrote:

Monday - Friday: Show "resource of the day". Saturday, Sunday: Show "resources of the past week, in use"

Better?

no, not really. sorry.

i am so very confused now. you will be reimplementing my script in perl to use on your website?

worked fine. the software that is. gamers.org left it broken in gnomecvs and it magically became fixed just in time for the last contest

Magically? Figures.

well, not magically. i asked the system admin for wgo if we could get the contest going easily or not. he looked at it and made it work easily. something like this.

it was nice to drag that software quickly out of the old project and have it work so well. one of the coolest things about it was that it deomonstrated how the gimp-user group was able to learn to deal with a primative upload system and from each other.

it is a nice group that you do not have to completely idiot proof a web apparatus for. so a couple of doses of stuff that looks like magic but really isn't.

needing a reliable server. then it worked for the gnome splash contest.

Perl, IIRC, has been used for dynamic page creation for ages, and contains modules to dynamically create pages on-the-fly, and handle various other CGI tasks. (Among other things, it can also reformat text, and take a binary file and pass it to a user in a browser.)

well, there you go. the system admin for my web server is one of the people i think are punishing me for too long for making the mistake of asking a perl question on #gimp from.

perhaps this is the reason i see python in the cgi-bin as well.

Oh ho ho. Have you read the documentation that comes packaged with Perl? If you use linux, install the perl-doc package (or whatever) and read the results in "perldoc perldoc" and "perldoc perl". If you use Windows, get the ActiveState installer, and open up the documentation viewer, by default, at "C:\perl\html\index.html". [I personally read this version in Firefox in Linux when working with my computer...]

yes, my question to you is have you read those perl docs? i recently spent sometime poking around in the gimp perl scripts. perl seems to allow some tricks that you really have to work at to get python to do. maybe this is just a condition of gimp perl stuff.

i read some of those perl docs. did you read them and find them useful?

True. But, then again, I've always worked with free web hosts to date (icky) and the ones that support scripting use Perl. PHP is too user-friendly (so they will make people pay for it), and I don't see Python *that* often on these sites.

i spent about a week working with a php script. it seemed to take a year to get rid of the smell of chauvinism from my life encounters after this. i think they are related. the question is, pay for access to this?

Hum.

well, this apparatus is now almost installed. i have now succeeded in making at the very least a little documentation project for myself. this blog could actually be used to make me go through my thousands of digicam pictures, one image a day. notify me when i have finished cleaning one directory. how nice. are you taking notes on this for your sourceforge project?

You could always generate the content *on* the website, as opposed to sending it to the website... just upload all the gradients and whatnot and your script first, and then have the script serve it to you.

the web server has python2.2 and i use python2.3. when whatever of this i am writing is working on the gimp web site, the server should have python2.3. the gimp web server, interestingly enough, does not have gimp installed as well. since it reads the systems gimp files, this would be a problem.

How sad.

yes. there will be a big Y2.01 scare on cgo. i am already storing cases of tap water and macaroni and cheese dinners in case of disaster.

Well, I don't really use C++ -- and I believe I've deleted all the things I've done in C++ to date. Once, I had a CLI (Command Line Interface) version of the game Mancala. Of course, a nearly identical version, except with an AI, and a GUI (graphical user inteface), was nicely packaged in a package on Linux, so I got rid of my little program. It was an interesting exercise though, and gave me something to brag about to my friends. ^^

what exactly does it do?

carol

michael chang
2005-08-16 16:46:18 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

Better?

no, not really. sorry.

We'll just scrap it then...

i am so very confused now. you will be reimplementing my script in perl to use on your website?

No, I will be reimplementing your script in perl to use on your site, my site, or the gimp website (depending on who wants it). I'll first, of course, have a test website so that you can tell what it's output looks like, and then I'll let you have it all. Probably should release it under GPL/CC.^^

Magically? Figures.

well, not magically. i asked the system admin for wgo if we could get the contest going easily or not. he looked at it and made it work easily. something like this.

Sounds like a very nice system admin.

well, there you go. the system admin for my web server is one of the people i think are punishing me for too long for making the mistake of asking a perl question on #gimp from.

perhaps this is the reason i see python in the cgi-bin as well.

If your web server has a python interpreter, way to go. The host I use doesn't, and I don't have the resources to keep my PC up 24/7 to use it to serve everything Python on my website.

yes, my question to you is have you read those perl docs? i recently

Yup. ^^ And a few books, that are about as thick as some dictionaries.

spent sometime poking around in the gimp perl scripts. perl seems to allow some tricks that you really have to work at to get python to do. maybe this is just a condition of gimp perl stuff.

For GIMP, at least, the interface is pretty similar, regardless of whether you use Scheme, Perl, or Python, last I checked. All you need to know is the quirks of the various systems (e.g. brackets and car/cdr/cadr/etc for Scheme).

i read some of those perl docs. did you read them and find them useful?

Yeah, but I needed to supplement them with a few books to get the idea. Then I figured it out. But I'm different -- I "learnt" Turing in 30 seconds by reading the help file and fixed a classmate's code without having ever seen Turing in my life or even taking a single underlying-concept-class. But that's because I referenced the help file for every second function, as opposed to memorizing functions and using them when I need them. That only happens subconsiously with repeated use; I don't use Turing that often.

i spent about a week working with a php script. it seemed to take a year to get rid of the smell of chauvinism from my life encounters after this. i think they are related. the question is, pay for access to this?

PHP4 can be embedded in HTML. That's probably part of it.

Hum.

well, this apparatus is now almost installed. i have now succeeded in making at the very least a little documentation project for myself. this blog could actually be used to make me go through my thousands of digicam pictures, one image a day. notify me when i have finished cleaning one directory. how nice. are you taking notes on this for your sourceforge project?

I don't think I'll go to sourceforge with this, unless you want to. ^^ I believe I've been misunderstood in a lot of contexts here; I'll need to clean up what I say before e-mailing it. It's because I have about two million ideas in my head, and I type them up as I think about them without any regard for order.

the web server has python2.2 and i use python2.3. when whatever of this

Figures...

i am writing is working on the gimp web site, the server should have python2.3. the gimp web server, interestingly enough, does not have gimp installed as well. since it reads the systems gimp files, this would be a problem.

Who would install a user program on a web server? I'd probably install GIMP on my system, copy the files to the web directory, and have the script reference them. But that's a waste, I suppose.

yes. there will be a big Y2.01 scare on cgo. i am already storing cases of tap water and macaroni and cheese dinners in case of disaster.

I hope you've enough electricity or gas to microwave or cook those...

what exactly does it do?

My thing, or the thing on linux? It's a game. My thing showed you a text game board with numbers. You put in which pot you wanted to start from, and then it updated the board for the other player, and let him make a move, and it keeps going from there until someone won. You'd have to understand Mancala for my description to make any more sense...