RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Save pcx file as 2-bit (black and white)

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

20 of 21 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Save pcx file as 2-bit (black and white) Robin Bowes 10 Aug 17:43
  Save pcx file as 2-bit (black and white) Sven Neumann 10 Aug 18:16
   Save pcx file as 2-bit (black and white) Robin Bowes 10 Aug 18:26
    Save pcx file as 2-bit (black and white) Sven Neumann 10 Aug 18:47
   Save pcx file as 2-bit (black and white) Robin Bowes 11 Aug 13:23
    Save pcx file as 2-bit (black and white) michael chang 11 Aug 17:37
     Save pcx file as 2-bit (black and white) Robin Bowes 11 Aug 18:48
      Save pcx file as 2-bit (black and white) sam ende 11 Aug 19:36
    Save pcx file as 2-bit (black and white) Sven Neumann 16 Aug 23:10
b14e81f00508111746453ac785@... 07 Oct 20:17
  Save pcx file as 2-bit (black and white) Robin Bowes 12 Aug 12:49
   Save pcx file as 2-bit (black and white) Patrick Shanahan 12 Aug 14:45
    Save pcx file as 2-bit (black and white) Robin Bowes 12 Aug 15:07
     Save pcx file as 2-bit (black and white) Patrick Shanahan 12 Aug 15:15
      Save pcx file as 2-bit (black and white) Robin Bowes 12 Aug 18:04
       Save pcx file as 2-bit (black and white) Patrick Shanahan 12 Aug 21:54
     Save pcx file as 2-bit (black and white) Simon Budig 12 Aug 15:22
   OT: Not recieving duplicates of emails sent directly and via CC [Formerly Save pcx file as 2-bit (black and white)] michael chang 12 Aug 19:31
    OT: Not recieving duplicates of emails sent directly and via CC [Formerly Save pcx file as 2-bit (black and white)] Patrick Shanahan 12 Aug 21:59
   Save pcx file as 2-bit (black and white) Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris 21 May 16:39
    Save pcx file as 2-bit (black and white) Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris 21 May 16:48
Robin Bowes
2005-08-10 17:43:58 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Hi,

I've got a pdf file that I need to convert to pcx to use as a fax template.

I've installed The GIMP, along with Ghostscript and I can create the pcx file fine.

However, I'd like to reduce file size by reducing the colour depth to 2, i.e. black and white.

I can do this in MS Photo Editor by Choosing File|Properties and selecting Image Type "Monochrome". This reduces the file size from 215KB to 99KB.

How can I do the same thing from The GIMP? I'm sure it must be possible, but I'm just not looking in the right place!

R.

Sven Neumann
2005-08-10 18:16:58 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Hi,

Robin Bowes writes:

I've installed The GIMP, along with Ghostscript and I can create the pcx file fine.

However, I'd like to reduce file size by reducing the colour depth to 2, i.e. black and white.

I can do this in MS Photo Editor by Choosing File|Properties and selecting Image Type "Monochrome". This reduces the file size from 215KB to 99KB.

How can I do the same thing from The GIMP? I'm sure it must be possible, but I'm just not looking in the right place!

No, it isn't currently possible. But it would be rather simple to add some code to the PCX plug-in so that it stores a monochrome PCX file in case that the image is in INDEXED mode and the palette only has two entries. A couple of plug-ins already behave this way.

Sven

Robin Bowes
2005-08-10 18:26:08 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

Robin Bowes writes:

No, it isn't currently possible. But it would be rather simple to add some code to the PCX plug-in so that it stores a monochrome PCX file in case that the image is in INDEXED mode and the palette only has two entries. A couple of plug-ins already behave this way.

Ah, well at least it's not me going mad!

Can I suggest that this is added as a "to-do"?

Thanks,

R.

Sven Neumann
2005-08-10 18:47:39 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Hi,

Robin Bowes writes:

Can I suggest that this is added as a "to-do"?

Can I suggest that you submit a patch for this? I don't think that any of the core developers are interested in this feature so it is unlikely that it would be added unless you provide a patch or talk someone else into doing that.

Sven

Robin Bowes
2005-08-11 13:23:41 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

Robin Bowes writes:

Sven,

Can you point me at the plug-ins that already do this so I can "borrow" the code for the pcx plugin?

Thanks,

R.

michael chang
2005-08-11 17:37:22 UTC (over 18 years ago)

On 8/11/05, Robin Bowes wrote:

Sven Neumann wrote:

Robin Bowes writes:

Can you point me at the plug-ins that already do this so I can "borrow" the code for the pcx plugin?

But then you still have to implement the PCX specific parts -- e.g. how the PCX file format differs for monochrome/indexed versus a standard image.

Robin Bowes
2005-08-11 18:48:00 UTC (over 18 years ago)

michael chang wrote:

Sven Neumann wrote:

Robin Bowes writes:

But then you still have to implement the PCX specific parts -- e.g. how the PCX file format differs for monochrome/indexed versus a standard image.

Indeed, but it would be easier for me to review how this has been done by others and adopt it to work for PCX.

R.

PS. Is it just me, or are Sven's and Michael's posts not getting to the list? I'm only getting the copy that is sent directly to me and the copy to the list is not arriving.

sam ende
2005-08-11 19:36:00 UTC (over 18 years ago)

On Thursday 11 August 2005 17:48, Robin Bowes wrote:

PS. Is it just me, or are Sven's and Michael's posts not getting to the list? I'm only getting the copy that is sent directly to me and the copy to the list is not arriving.

must be just you :)

sammi

Robin Bowes
2005-08-12 12:49:19 UTC (over 18 years ago)

michael chang wrote:

It's just you. If you take a look at the headers, it's the same message, with you in the To: field, and the list being put in the CC: list. Chances are, your client [like my "client" - GMail's web interface] is smart enough to know when a message is a duplicate, and display it only once.

After all, each e-mail has a seperate ID or whatever... among other things... which could implement this functionality.

Michael,

I have filtering code that automatically detects mail from mailing lists and sorts it into folders and I'm haven't received any messages from Sven or yourself that were sent to the list. I get the copy sent to me personally, but I would expect to see two messages - one to me personally, and one from the list.

Not sure why that is happening...

R.

Patrick Shanahan
2005-08-12 14:45:00 UTC (over 18 years ago)

* Robin Bowes [08-12-05 05:51]:

I have filtering code that automatically detects mail from mailing lists and sorts it into folders and I'm haven't received any messages from Sven or yourself that were sent to the list. I get the copy sent to me personally, but I would expect to see two messages - one to me personally, and one from the list.

WHY would you want to receive two copies of the same message? I have a procmail recipe to /dev/null duplicates. If you read the list, why would you want *another* copy posted to you?

Robin Bowes
2005-08-12 15:07:48 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Patrick Shanahan wrote:

* Robin Bowes [08-12-05 05:51]:

WHY would you want to receive two copies of the same message? I have a procmail recipe to /dev/null duplicates. If you read the list, why would you want *another* copy posted to you?

As things stand, I'm not getting messages that are being sent to the list AND to me - I just get the message sent to me. With all the other lists I'm on I get the message sent to the list (which gets filtered into the appropriate "list" folder) AND the message sent directly to me (which I delete).

I don't necessarily WANT two copies; but I would EXPECT two copies and the fact that I'm not SEEING two copies leads me to believe that something is "wrong" or outside my experience.

Does that make sense?

R.

Patrick Shanahan
2005-08-12 15:15:51 UTC (over 18 years ago)

* Robin Bowes [08-12-05 08:10]:

I don't necessarily WANT two copies; but I would EXPECT two copies and the fact that I'm not SEEING two copies leads me to believe that something is "wrong" or outside my experience.

Does that make sense?

Not from any post that I make to the list as it is made with "List-Reply" function and unless you have requested direct reply with a "Reply-To:" header, you will only receive *one* copy.

btw: Please do not Cc: to me. I *read* the list and can see no reason for you increasing net traffice uselessly.

Simon Budig
2005-08-12 15:22:12 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Robin Bowes (robin-lists@robinbowes.com) wrote:

As things stand, I'm not getting messages that are being sent to the list AND to me - I just get the message sent to me. With all the other lists I'm on I get the message sent to the list (which gets filtered into the appropriate "list" folder) AND the message sent directly to me (which I delete).

I believe this is a configurable option for your account at the mailman listserver. Have a look there.

Bye, Simon

Robin Bowes
2005-08-12 18:04:22 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Patrick Shanahan wrote:

* Robin Bowes [08-12-05 08:10]:

Does that make sense?

Not from any post that I make to the list as it is made with "List-Reply" function and unless you have requested direct reply with a "Reply-To:" header, you will only receive *one* copy.

True. I only receive one message from your replies, and it is correctly filtered into my list folder.

btw: Please do not Cc: to me. I *read* the list and can see no reason for you increasing net traffice uselessly.

OK.

Can you do me a favour and reply to me, CC'ing the list so I can trace my logs and check what happens. Based on previous experience, I would expect to receive your mail addressed directly to me, but not to see the copy sent to the list.

Thanks,

R.

michael chang
2005-08-12 19:31:32 UTC (over 18 years ago)

OT: Not recieving duplicates of emails sent directly and via CC [Formerly Save pcx file as 2-bit (black and white)]

On 8/12/05, Robin Bowes wrote:

michael chang wrote:

It's just you. If you take a look at the headers, it's the same message, with you in the To: field, and the list being put in the CC: list. Chances are, your client [like my "client" - GMail's web interface] is smart enough to know when a message is a duplicate, and display it only once.

What's the filter? Is it e.g. "To: "; "Subject: [Gimp-user] ..."?

Has this happened for everyone else? Is it just this list?

You know, it's totally possible the list is smart enough that it's configurator/creator knows most people delete duplicate messages anyways, so it only sends out one copy. *shrugs*

I obviously can't figure out this behaviour, because my client acts differently [ I use the GMail Web Interface]. When I get messaged CCed to list (filter by subject, [gimp-user]), it gets Archived [skip inbox], and then applied a label (read: put into a folder) "gimp-user". If I get the message as well directly in To, I believe it also ends up in my Inbox ("ignoring", if you will, the skip inbox directive).

When I click on the "message" (it actually shows the entire thread of messages, and shows that thread under one item), your message appears once, and it's transparent to me whether you sent it twice or not.

Personally, I'm rather fond of this behaviour, so... *shrugs*

Patrick Shanahan
2005-08-12 21:54:27 UTC (over 18 years ago)

* Robin Bowes [08-12-05 11:11]:

Can you do me a favour and reply to me, CC'ing the list so I can trace my logs and check what happens. Based on previous experience, I would expect to receive your mail addressed directly to me, but not to see the copy sent to the list.

Manually added your addr Cc:....

If you want to receive direct replies in addition to the list posts, add the Header "Reply-To:". This way everyone does not have to set special rules for your posts vs everyone else.

Patrick Shanahan
2005-08-12 21:59:10 UTC (over 18 years ago)

OT: Not recieving duplicates of emails sent directly and via CC [Formerly Save pcx file as 2-bit (black and white)]

* michael chang [08-12-05 12:33]:

Has this happened for everyone else? Is it just this list?

no, and it is not the list

You know, it's totally possible the list is smart enough that it's configurator/creator knows most people delete duplicate messages anyways, so it only sends out one copy. *shrugs*

No

I obviously can't figure out this behaviour, because my client acts differently [ I use the GMail Web Interface]. When I get messaged CCed to list (filter by subject, [gimp-user]), it gets Archived [skip inbox], and then applied a label (read: put into a folder) "gimp-user". If I get the message as well directly in To, I believe it also ends up in my Inbox ("ignoring", if you will, the skip inbox directive).

It is known that gmail does not show both posts

When I click on the "message" (it actually shows the entire thread of messages, and shows that thread under one item), your message appears once, and it's transparent to me whether you sent it twice or not.

Personally, I'm rather fond of this behaviour, so... *shrugs*

Just because you do not *see* the wasted bandwidth, does not make it useful, necessary or proper. That would be like not seeing your neighbor dealing drugs. It doesn't make it ok.

Sven Neumann
2005-08-16 23:10:13 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Hi,

Robin Bowes writes:

The TIFF plug-in for example, see bug #150865.

Sven

Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris
2006-05-21 16:39:52 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

On Friday 12 August 2005 07:49 am, Robin Bowes wrote:

michael chang wrote:

After all, each e-mail has a seperate ID or whatever... among other things... which could implement this functionality.

Michael,

The gimp list server does not deliver you a message that has your e-mail explicit in the cc: or to: fields through the list. Tjis is the deafult behavior and can be changed in the mail-list preferences in the web page.

JS
->

R.

Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris
2006-05-21 16:48:33 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

Oops...so much for some time warp! I just replied a 9 month old e-mail. :-P

On Sunday 21 May 2006 11:39 am, Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris wrote:

On Friday 12 August 2005 07:49 am, Robin Bowes wrote:

michael chang wrote: