RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Suggestion for the Scalpel tool

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

6 of 6 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Suggestion for the Scalpel tool creafab@free.fr 08 Aug 22:20
  Suggestion for the Scalpel tool Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris 08 Aug 23:45
   Suggestion for the Scalpel tool Sven Neumann 09 Aug 00:27
Suggestion for the Scalpel tool creafab@free.fr 09 Aug 01:40
  Suggestion for the Scalpel tool Sven Neumann 09 Aug 14:11
   Suggestion for the Scalpel tool creafab@free.fr 09 Aug 18:41
creafab@free.fr
2005-08-08 22:20:46 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

Hi everyone !

I don't know if it's the right place to post this, but if not, I will try to post it on the developper list !

I just have a suggestion about the scalpel tool. I do a lot of photos and even teach at the uni how to use The GIMP to improve digital photos. I've installed the latest release (2.2.8), and this tool still misses two options :

- even if it's possible to set a ratio for the "cut" frame, it's still impossible to LOCK THE RATIO. For instance, if I need to cut the picture in order to make it fit in a 10 x 13 cm frame, it's impossible to lock the ratio at 1,50. So, I have to resize the frame manually until the ratio reaches for 1,50. Once, it's fast, but at the twentieth photo...

- I also use Paint Shop Pro 8, and it has a very simple way to solve this problem, but also to make this kind of operation easier and faster : there's a LIST OF FRAME FORMATS (10 x 15 cm, 11 x 15 cm, etc.) available. When a format is double-clicked, a resizable vector frame appears on the picture. As told before, this frame is resizable, but you can't modify its aspect ratio. It's then easy cut the picture where wanted.

Could these two options be included in a short term next release ?

Thanks !

Fabien3D

P.S. : I've just put a few new tutorials about digital post-processing of digital photos on my web site. Sorry, they're written in french ...

CREAFab, la création numérique autrement... http://creafab.free.f

Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris
2005-08-08 23:45:59 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

On Monday 08 August 2005 17:20, creafab@free.fr wrote:

Hi everyone !

I don't know if it's the right place to post this, but if not, I will try to post it on the developper list !

I just have a suggestion about the scalpel tool. I do a lot of photos and even teach at the uni how to use The GIMP to improve digital photos. I've installed the latest release (2.2.8), and this tool still misses two options :

- even if it's possible to set a ratio for the "cut" frame, it's still impossible to LOCK THE RATIO. For instance, if I need to cut the picture in order to make it fit in a 10 x 13 cm frame, it's impossible to lock the ratio at 1,50. So, I have to resize the frame manually until the ratio reaches for 1,50. Once, it's fast, but at the twentieth photo...

The rectangular selection tool has this ratio locking you are looking for.
You position your rectangle, and then, when using the Crop Tool judt click on the "from selection" button.

- I also use Paint Shop Pro 8, and it has a very simple way to solve this problem, but also to make this kind of operation easier and faster : there's a LIST OF FRAME FORMATS (10 x 15 cm, 11 x 15 cm, etc.) available. When a format is double-clicked, a resizable vector frame appears on the picture. As told before, this frame is resizable, but you can't modify its aspect ratio. It's then easy cut the picture where wanted.

Could these two options be included in a short term next release ?

Thanks !

Fabien3D

P.S. : I've just put a few new tutorials about digital post-processing of digital photos on my web site. Sorry, they're written in french ...

CREAFab, la création numérique autrement... http://creafab.free.f

Sven Neumann
2005-08-09 00:27:05 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

Hi,

"Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris" writes:

The rectangular selection tool has this ratio locking you are looking for. You position your rectangle, and then, when using the Crop Tool judt click on the "from selection" button.

Or, simpler, choose Image->Crop Image or Layer->Crop Layer from the menus.

Sven

creafab@free.fr
2005-08-09 01:40:57 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

The rectangular selection tool has this ratio locking you are looking for. You position your rectangle, and then, when using the Crop Tool judt click on the "from selection" button.

Or, simpler, choose Image->Crop Image or Layer->Crop Layer from the menus.

Indeed, these two solutions work, and I used to do it that way in Paint Shop Pro. But they require two tools to get a proportionnal 3/2 (10 x 15 cm) or 4/3 (11 x 15 cm), which is less intuitive and slower. I happen to teach to seniors, and using "rectangular selection" and "crop" tools just to crop an image may appear illogical and too long. I think the lack of these options diminishes the workflow too.

Fabien3D

Sven Neumann
2005-08-09 14:11:43 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

Hi,

creafab@free.fr writes:

Indeed, these two solutions work, and I used to do it that way in Paint Shop Pro. But they require two tools to get a proportionnal 3/2 (10 x 15 cm) or 4/3 (11 x 15 cm), which is less intuitive and slower. I happen to teach to seniors, and using "rectangular selection" and "crop" tools just to crop an image may appear illogical and too long. I think the lack of these options diminishes the workflow too.

Why don't you just add the missing functionality to the Crop tool then? Or at least spend the time to check the bug-tracker for this issue? That might make it apparent to you that we are well aware of this problem.

Sven

creafab@free.fr
2005-08-09 18:41:13 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

Selon Sven Neumann :

Hi,

creafab@free.fr writes:

Why don't you just add the missing functionality to the Crop tool then? Or at least spend the time to check the bug-tracker for this issue? That might make it apparent to you that we are well aware of this problem.

Sven

Indeed, I had no time to look at the bug-tracker (Bug 156858)! Next time, I'll do better ! My aswer didn't mean to be agressive, pity yours is to me. I programmize sometimes (actually a small GPL educationnal program) when I have to, but I'm certainly not good enough to work on The GIMP. I reported bugs in Blender, and I try to help as much as I can. But, as I told before, I'll do better next time... or keep what I want to tell for me.

Thanks.

Fabien3D

CREAFab, la création numérique autrement... http://creafab.free.fr