RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Rotating an image

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

15 of 16 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Rotating an image Peter Karlsson 07 Aug 17:02
Rotating an image Peter Karlsson 07 Aug 20:57
Rotating an image Peter Karlsson 08 Aug 01:49
  Rotating an image michael chang 08 Aug 01:58
Rotating an image Peter Karlsson 08 Aug 02:11
  Rotating an image michael chang 08 Aug 02:54
Rotating an image Peter Karlsson 08 Aug 11:12
Rotating an image Peter Karlsson 08 Aug 11:31
Rotating an image Michael Schumacher 08 Aug 12:00
Rotating an image Peter Karlsson 08 Aug 14:27
Rotating an image Peter Karlsson 08 Aug 15:18
  Rotating an image michael chang 08 Aug 16:33
   Rotating an image sam ende 08 Aug 17:28
   Rotating an image Sven Neumann 08 Aug 19:05
b14e81f005080714445a9f028b@... 07 Oct 20:17
  Rotating an image michael chang 07 Aug 23:45
Peter Karlsson
2005-08-07 17:02:54 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

Rotating an image

Hi!

I'm trying to rotate an image (which is in a layer) by 90 degrees which is taller than it's width. So when I rotate it, gimp will automatically crop the image no matter what I do. I have the "Clip result" unchecked. Gimp 2.2.8. How do I remedy this (I'm stumped)?

Best regards

Peter Karlsson

Peter Karlsson
2005-08-07 20:57:28 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

Rotating an image

--- sam ende wrote:

either rotate the whole image (image/transform) or try increasing the canvas size (image/canvas size) in height to the width of the image/layer before rotating.

Ok, that works. Thank you!

But why would gimp crop the image? I tried resizing the canvas to fit the layer (after doing the rotate, with "Image/Fit canvas to layer"), before sending my first mail. If gimp isn't cropping the layer then how do I get the missing parts back?

Thanks to all who replied!

Best regards

Peter K

michael chang
2005-08-07 23:45:28 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

Rotating an image

Date: Aug 7, 2005 5:44 PM
Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Rotating an image To: pk@mailamig.nu

On 8/7/05, Peter Karlsson wrote:

But why would gimp crop the image?

It won't. But some people would like to keep an entire layer's data, but only have some of it visible. I've done things like that before. *shrugs*

I tried resizing the canvas to fit the layer (after doing the rotate, with "Image/Fit canvas to layer"), before sending my first mail. If gimp isn't cropping the layer then how do I get the missing parts back?

Change the image size, I believe. Also, if you're fitting canvas to layer, make sure you have the clipped layer selected (you have more than one, yes or no?).

--
~Mike
- Just my two cents
- No man is an island, and no man is unable.

Peter Karlsson
2005-08-08 01:49:18 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

Rotating an image

--- sam ende wrote:

i don't think it is cropping. i just tried that, but then maybe you have to do image/center layer afterwards ?, try that.

Ok, perhaps I need to elaborate... First open an picture (which should be rectangular in shape). Then copy the picture (or a part of it). Create a new pic (under File/New). Paste (a regular paste into the new pic). Click on the rotate icon and then click on the pasted layer. Rotate arbitrarily and confirm by pressing the "Rotate" button. Try "Image/Fit canvas to layer". Here my pic is missing the information that ended up outside of the canvas boundaries when I rotated.

I don't have a function called "Image/Center layer".

unless (perhaps), you have other layers underneath which are not visible.

Well, the only layer I have, except the pasted one, is the "Background".

Best regards

Peter K

michael chang
2005-08-08 01:58:28 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

Rotating an image

Ok, perhaps I need to elaborate... First open an picture (which should be rectangular in shape). Then copy the picture (or a part of it). Create a new pic (under File/New). Paste (a regular paste into the new pic). Click on the rotate icon and then click on the pasted layer. Rotate arbitrarily and confirm by pressing the "Rotate" button.

YES. You *should* elaborate. The reason this is happening is because your picture is in a selection floating above the picture! Why is this useful? So I can paste something, and then move it around a bit to figure out where I want it.

Solution: Click outside the selection boundaries before rotating.

Peter Karlsson
2005-08-08 02:11:54 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

Rotating an image

--- michael chang wrote:

It won't. But some people would like to keep an entire layer's data, but only have some of it visible. I've done things like that before. *shrugs*

Seems reasonable I guess. But wouldn't it be easier to use if all of the layer were visible and hide some of it by choosing it?

Change the image size, I believe. Also, if you're fitting canvas to layer, make sure you have the clipped layer selected (you have more than one, yes or no?).

I have only the clipped layer and the "background" layer. Isn't changing the image size and changing the canvas the same thing? Anyway in all attempts the clipped layer was selected (since it's the only thing I've manipulated); the layer had the "walking ants" around it.

Thanks anyway!

Best regards

Peter K

michael chang
2005-08-08 02:54:38 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

Rotating an image

--- michael chang wrote:

Seems reasonable I guess. But wouldn't it be easier to use if all of the layer were visible and hide some of it by choosing it?

Tell the gimp developers that. I don't know. Honestly.

I have only the clipped layer and the "background" layer. Isn't changing the image size and changing the canvas the same thing? Anyway in all attempts the clipped layer was selected (since it's the only thing I've manipulated); the layer had the "walking ants" around it.

"Walking ants" means it's not a layer... it's a floating selection... [see my later message]. Solution: Make the "floating" layer non floating - by putting it on another layer.

Peter Karlsson
2005-08-08 11:12:35 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

Rotating an image

--- michael chang wrote:

Tell the gimp developers that. I don't know. Honestly.

Perhaps I'll submit a patch? ;-)

"Walking ants" means it's not a layer... it's a floating selection... [see my later message]. Solution: Make the "floating" layer non floating - by putting it on another layer.

Well, it does say, in the "Layers, Channels, Paths, Undo"-window, "Floating Selection (Pasted Layer)". But it doesn't matter. I know now how to work with it. It was very confusing and different to how I thought it would work (I'm used to working with layers in CAD-software (CATIA V4, Unigraphics). Thanks for the input!

Best regards

Peter K

Peter Karlsson
2005-08-08 11:31:27 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

Rotating an image

--- sam ende wrote:

awfully complicated, why don't do you skip the create new pic bit and chose 'paste as new' ?

Oh, ok. Didn't know about that. Thanks!

yes. after doing 'paste' you need to go to the layers menu and right click on the floating layer and select 'new layer' that will make the whole layer visible after you've increased the canvas size. i have no idea why you're working this convoluted though. why not just copy/paste as new and then rotate the image rather than the layer ?

Ok, I've tried it and it works. I wouldn't agree on me complicating things; I'm just not used to the Gimp-way(tm) (though I have used gimp for a number of years, but only for simple things). :-)

Here's how I would _like_ it to work:

I should be able to move any layer freely about and manipulating it separately from the rest of the layers (and the pic/canvas). This is how layers work in CAD-software (to which I am used to). If I have to "anchor" the floating layer, then I'll have to perform additional steps if there's another manipulation I would like to do to the layer (without affecting the whole image/pic/canvas). But I guess I can emulate this behaviour with multiple pictures.

But I can work with the current way. The "New Layer" was a bit unintuitive (at least I think so).

i'd be suprised if you did, it's layer/center layer. :)

Unfortunately I don't have that either... :-(

Thanks for educating me!

Best regards

Peter K

Michael Schumacher
2005-08-08 12:00:48 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

Rotating an image

Von: Peter Karlsson

I should be able to move any layer freely about and manipulating it separately from the rest of the layers (and the pic/canvas).

You can do this, at least I don't get what your problems with this are.

This is how layers work in CAD-software (to which I am used to). If I have to "anchor" the floating layer, then I'll have to perform additional steps if there's another manipulation I would like to do to the layer (without affecting the whole image/pic/canvas).

Especially, I don't get why doing something on a layer - even temprarily hovering and anchoring a selection - should affect the whole image. Anchoring is just a click outside the floating selection, so it's not many additional steps. BTW, could you explain what each of the "image/pic/canvas" mean to you?

But I guess I can emulate this behaviour with multiple pictures.

It might be a good thing to describe the workflow you're used to, then we could try to translate it into GIMP terminology for you.

HTH, Michael

Peter Karlsson
2005-08-08 14:27:38 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

Rotating an image

--- sam ende wrote:

heh :), even easier is image/duplicate :)

You learn something new each day (which is a good thing(tm))... :-)

yes, me too :)

Goodie! ;-)

i'm really not sure why or what you mean. turning it into a layer doesn't anchor it, you can perform most functions on that layer without affecting the image or other layers (just make sure you have the right layer selected), but maybe i'm misunderstanding and i have no idea how cad works.

Or maybe it's me that's misunderstood... :-)

If I interpret you correctly it does work the way I want it to, sort of.

yes. and the thing is , to my mind, gimps getting more unintuitive with every upgrade/new release. i think these programmers don't have much idea how the non-programmer mind works. nevermind :)

I would say that different people think differently (I odd bits of programming myself). But I guess technical people usually disregard the user interface and design whatever which is easier for them...

you don't ?, are you using windows gimp or something ?

No, I wouldn't touch ms windows with a ten-foot pole. I use gnu/linux (gentoo).

yuck, i hope i wasn't doing that :) glad you got it to work though :)

Why yuck?

Thanks again!

Best regards

Peter K

Peter Karlsson
2005-08-08 15:18:32 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

Rotating an image

--- "Michael Schumacher" wrote:

Ok, then I stand corrected. I just thought that it didn't.

Especially, I don't get why doing something on a layer - even temprarily hovering and anchoring a selection - should affect the whole image. Anchoring is just a click outside the floating selection, so it's not many

Well, the thing that tricked me into thinking so was that one had to transform the "floating selection" into a "new layer". I thought of the selection as just another layer, not a special one...

additional steps. BTW, could you explain what each of the "image/pic/canvas" mean to you?

Afaiu, image=picture=canvas.

It might be a good thing to describe the workflow you're used to, then we could try to translate it into GIMP terminology for you.

In a cad-program one works with completely separated elements (which can be merged in one way or another). One can "group" these elements together by using, for instance, layers (which is a loose kind of "grouping"). Of course the layered elements can share attributes like colour, thickness and others. These elements can be manipulated without affecting the others (if you so choose). There is no real equivalent to making a "flat image" (except maybe making a "dead" model).

Iiuc, you can work like this in gimp (sort of at least): * All images has at least one layer (the "background" - right?)
* You can put more layers on top each other and work with them separately, you can also re-arrange them. * The "floating selection" is a kind of layer, which requires special handling.
* If you want to manipulate the "floating selection", like I did, I have to transform it into a new layer by choosing "layer/new layer", which to me is rather unintuitive (which shouldn't be taken as a form of criticism - just that people think differently). If I don't do this I get the "cropped" images when I save it as a jpeg (or any other non-layered format, or "flatten" the image), even though I adjust the canvas to "fit the layer".

Is this about correct?

Best regards / Mit freundlichen Gruessen

Peter K

michael chang
2005-08-08 16:33:01 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

Rotating an image

On 8/8/05, Peter Karlsson wrote:

--- "Michael Schumacher" wrote:

Ok, then I stand corrected. I just thought that it didn't.

Especially, I don't get why doing something on a layer - even temprarily hovering and anchoring a selection - should affect the whole image. Anchoring is just a click outside the floating selection, so it's not many

Well, the thing that tricked me into thinking so was that one had to transform the "floating selection" into a "new layer". I thought of the selection as just another layer, not a special one...

additional steps. BTW, could you explain what each of the "image/pic/canvas" mean to you?

Afaiu, image=picture=canvas.

In a cad-program one works with completely separated elements (which can be merged in one way or another). One can "group" these elements together by using, for instance, layers (which is a loose kind of "grouping"). Of course the layered elements can share attributes like colour, thickness and others. These elements can be manipulated without affecting the others (if you so choose). There is no real equivalent to making a "flat image" (except maybe making a "dead" model).

Iiuc, you can work like this in gimp (sort of at least): * All images has at least one layer (the "background" - right?)
* You can put more layers on top each other and work with them separately, you can also re-arrange them. * The "floating selection" is a kind of layer, which requires special handling.
* If you want to manipulate the "floating selection", like I did, I have to transform it into a new layer by choosing "layer/new layer", which to me is rather unintuitive (which shouldn't be taken as a form of criticism - just that people think differently). If I don't do this I get the "cropped" images when I save it as a jpeg (or any other non-layered format, or "flatten" the image), even though I adjust the canvas to "fit the layer".

I believe GIMP can do everything you want, except transform everything as a group. *sigh* If you can transform everything as a group, I have no clue how to do it.

sam ende
2005-08-08 17:28:11 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

Rotating an image

On Monday 08 August 2005 15:33, michael chang wrote:

I believe GIMP can do everything you want, except transform everything as a group. *sigh* If you can transform everything as a group, I have no clue how to do it.

under filters there is the option of filter all layers which allows quite a lot of functions, click on it to see.

sammi

Sven Neumann
2005-08-08 19:05:12 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

Rotating an image

Hi,

michael chang writes:

Simply link the layers in the Layers dialog, then transform a member of the group, they will all undergo the same transformation.

Sven