RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

scissors selection tool

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

7 of 8 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

scissors selection tool Rachelle McLean 27 Jul 06:37
  scissors selection tool Steve Stavropoulos 27 Jul 12:06
   scissors selection tool Sven Neumann 27 Jul 12:52
scissors selection tool Michel Franckart 06 Aug 22:50
  scissors selection tool GSR - FR 07 Aug 01:04
  scissors selection tool Michael Schumacher 07 Aug 03:37
b14e81f005072708205e3d610f@... 07 Oct 20:17
  scissors selection tool michael chang 07 Aug 23:42
Rachelle McLean
2005-07-27 06:37:51 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

scissors selection tool

Hi,

I'm new to this mailing list but already I have a question about using GIMP.

With the selection tool that looks like a pair of scissors, and acts lilke the magnetic lasso tool in Photoshop, I can get it to make a shape but how do you turn the shape with the points into a selection? I'm so stuck. I've tried installing the help files but when I click for help nothing happens.

Thanks in anticipation of your help.

Rachelle McLean lab.3000 - innovation in digital design www.lab.3000.com.au
(03) 9654 6970

Steve Stavropoulos
2005-07-27 12:06:15 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

scissors selection tool

On 7/27/05, Rachelle McLean wrote:

With the selection tool that looks like a pair of scissors, and acts lilke the magnetic lasso tool in Photoshop, I can get it to make a shape but how do you turn the shape with the points into a selection?

First you have to close the shape. Your last point should be on top of the first one. Then, you click inside your shape and it turns into a selection.

Sven Neumann
2005-07-27 12:52:50 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

scissors selection tool

Hi,

Steve Stavropoulos writes:

With the selection tool that looks like a pair of scissors, and acts lilke the magnetic lasso tool in Photoshop, I can get it to make a shape but how do you turn the shape with the points into a selection?

First you have to close the shape. Your last point should be on top of the first one. Then, you click inside your shape and it turns into a selection.

Suggestions on how to improve this are welcome. Patches would be even more appreciated.

Sven

Michel Franckart
2005-08-06 22:50:09 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

scissors selection tool

Sven Neumann gimp.org> writes:

Hi,

Steve Stavropoulos gmail.com> writes:

Suggestions on how to improve this are welcome. Patches would be even more appreciated.

Sven

Hi.
I use Gimp 224 on SuSe Linux 92 :turning a scissor-made shape into a selection rarely works and never twice.
I have tries several 'tricks' suggested in mailing lists : they do not work. Michel

GSR - FR
2005-08-07 01:04:36 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

scissors selection tool

Hi,
michel.franckart@euphonynet.be (2005-08-06 at 2050.09 +0000):

I use Gimp 224 on SuSe Linux 92 :turning a scissor-made shape into a selection rarely works and never twice.
I have tries several 'tricks' suggested in mailing lists : they do not work. Michel

The original concept (or the second version based in date) can be seen here http://web.engr.oregonstate.edu/~enm/publications/CVPR_99/toboggan_scissors.mov Obviously GIMP has a different interface, and maybe even algorithm varies slightly or has not been improved.

GSR

Michael Schumacher
2005-08-07 03:37:40 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

scissors selection tool

Michel Franckart wrote:

Sven Neumann gimp.org> writes:

I have tries several 'tricks' suggested in mailing lists : they do not work.

Hm, somehow this misses the point of what Sven was asking for...

Michael

michael chang
2005-08-07 23:42:05 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

scissors selection tool

Sorry, forgot to foward to list. ^^"

On 7/27/05, Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

Steve Stavropoulos writes:

Closure mechanism. E.g. a button that I can click on that will connect my last and first points.

-- ~Mike
- Just my two cents
- No man is an island, and no man is unable.