RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Gimp Vs Mathematica handling EPS files

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Gimp Vs Mathematica handling EPS files Paulo Jorge de Oliveira Cantante de Matos 19 Jul 13:08
  Gimp Vs Mathematica handling EPS files Simon Budig 19 Jul 13:57
  Gimp Vs Mathematica handling EPS files Jonathan Bartlett 19 Jul 14:20
Gimp Vs Mathematica handling EPS files Michael Schumacher 19 Jul 17:22
Paulo Jorge de Oliveira Cantante de Matos
2005-07-19 13:08:38 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

Hi all,

I'm quite surprised with some results. I had some mathematica plots which I just exported into EPS and inserted into a LaTeX document. They are excellent. One of them I had to edit so I used Gimp and when I saved in EPS, the result was terrible. Alot of alias. I do imagine its about resolution but I'm not sure. Has anyone had a similar issue? Can someone help me out edit a EPS image in Gimp with at least comparable results of Mathematica?

Cheers,

Simon Budig
2005-07-19 13:57:48 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

Paulo Jorge de Oliveira Cantante de Matos (pocm@sat.inesc-id.pt) wrote:

I'm quite surprised with some results. I had some mathematica plots which I just exported into EPS and inserted into a LaTeX document. They are excellent. One of them I had to edit so I used Gimp and when I saved in EPS, the result was terrible. Alot of alias. I do imagine its about resolution but I'm not sure. Has anyone had a similar issue? Can someone help me out edit a EPS image in Gimp with at least comparable results of Mathematica?

No.

Basically what happens when you import an EPS file into GIMP is that it gets rasterized, since Gimp can only handle pixel based images. So Gimp is the wrong tool to edit EPS files.

You might want to try to use pstoedit and then use e.g. inkscape or SVG to edit the result.

Bye,
Simon

Jonathan Bartlett
2005-07-19 14:20:47 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

I think the issue is vector versus raster. GIMP is a raster program. Since Mathematica is dealing with the curves directly, it probably simply translates the equations into a vector, which can then be handled by Postscript native elements, and likewise, TeX.

You can definitely make this better by increasing the resolution. I would suggest 300DPI as a starting point.

Jon

Michael Schumacher
2005-07-19 17:22:08 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

Von: "Paulo Jorge de Oliveira Cantante de Matos"

Does Mathematica write vector or bitmapped images?

Michael