RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Text on transparent background

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 5 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Text on transparent background Steve Croteau 11 Jul 00:16
  Text on transparent background Andreas Waechter 11 Jul 00:25
   Text on transparent background Steve Croteau 11 Jul 00:36
    Text on transparent background Michael Schumacher 11 Jul 01:04
  Text on transparent background Carol Spears 11 Jul 00:37
Steve Croteau
2005-07-11 00:16:05 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

Greetings,
I'm a Gimp newbie and I'm trying to create my company 'black text' logo on a transparent background and save it as a jpg to be used on my web site.  I would like the black text to "float" above the background images on my site allowing the background image to show around the text.  

I'm doing fine with the whole process except the transparancy issue.  Every time I try this I end up with my text logo on a white background.  How do I get a transparent background when saving to a jpg format?

Thank you in advance?

Steve Croteau

Andreas Waechter
2005-07-11 00:25:59 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

I'm a Gimp newbie and I'm trying to create my company 'black text' logo on a transparent background and save it as a jpg to be used on my web site.

Transparency and jpg are (AFAIK) a contradiction - jpg doesn't support transparency.

I'm doing fine with the whole process except the transparancy issue. Every time I try this I end up with my text logo on a white background. How do I get a transparent background when saving to a jpg format?

Use a different file format (e.g. png or gif support transparency - where png's transparency is not fully supported by Internet Explorer, IE only uses transparency in png in indexed mode)

Andreas

Steve Croteau
2005-07-11 00:36:41 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

On Sunday 10 July 2005 3:25 pm, Andreas Waechter wrote:

I'm a Gimp newbie and I'm trying to create my company 'black text' logo on a transparent background and save it as a jpg to be used on my web site.

Transparency and jpg are (AFAIK) a contradiction - jpg doesn't support transparency.

I'm doing fine with the whole process except the transparancy issue. Every time I try this I end up with my text logo on a white background. How do I get a transparent background when saving to a jpg format?

Use a different file format (e.g. png or gif support transparency - where png's transparency is not fully supported by Internet Explorer, IE only uses transparency in png in indexed mode)

Andreas

Carol Spears
2005-07-11 00:37:22 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

On Sun, Jul 10, 2005 at 03:16:05PM -0700, Steve Croteau wrote:

Greetings,
I'm a Gimp newbie and I'm trying to create my company 'black text' logo on a transparent background and save it as a jpg to be used on my web site. ?I would like the black text to "float" above the background images on my site allowing the background image to show around the text. ?

I'm doing fine with the whole process except the transparancy issue. ?Every time I try this I end up with my text logo on a white background. ?How do I get a transparent background when saving to a jpg format?

you don't. jpegs were not designed to handle transparency.

try png. all of the colors of jpegs and tranparency as well.

carol

Michael Schumacher
2005-07-11 01:04:47 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

Steve Croteau wrote:

1) Don't save to jpg because it doesn't support transparency. 2) Use gif or png instead.
3) To be polite to Win users, if using a png format - change mode to indexed.

s/Win/IE/, but otherwise correct.

Michael