RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Newbie Question

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

9 of 9 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Newbie Question Jonathan Allen 10 Jul 22:22
  Newbie Question Andreas Waechter 10 Jul 22:31
   Newbie Question Jonathan Allen 10 Jul 23:05
    Newbie Question Akkana Peck 11 Jul 20:13
  Newbie Question Sven Neumann 11 Jul 21:13
   Newbie Question Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris 11 Jul 21:30
    Newbie Question sam ende 12 Jul 20:55
   Newbie Question sam ende 12 Jul 20:49
    Newbie Question Carol Spears 12 Jul 23:17
Jonathan Allen
2005-07-10 22:22:35 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

Newbie Question

Hi All,

I have a first-time question. In general terms, how can I change all the pixels of one colour within a hand-drawn selection into another colour ?

In specific terms, I have a gif file containing some black-on-white text. I want to be able to colour various parts of the black text to be red-on- white, or blue-on-white (whatever) for emphasis. I can't do that colouring on the originating system, so need to uyse the GIMP to do it.

I tried the colour-to-alpha idea suggested in the first background-colour change tutorial, but colour-to-alpha is greyed out and I don't how know to get past that, if it is the right way to go.

Any suggestions ?

Jonathan

Andreas Waechter
2005-07-10 22:31:19 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

Newbie Question

Jonathan Allen wrote:

I have a first-time question. In general terms, how can I change all the pixels of one colour within a hand-drawn selection into another colour ?

Select by color, Fill

I tried the colour-to-alpha idea suggested in the first background-colour change tutorial, but colour-to-alpha is greyed out and I don't how know to get past that, if it is the right way to go.

Image - Mode - RGB
(while the image is in indexed mode, some things can't work)

Andreas

Jonathan Allen
2005-07-10 23:05:03 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

Newbie Question

Andreas,

Select by color, Fill

But that selects all the black text in the guf, not just the one letter I need to colour. That was why I had started with a hard-drawn selection to isolate just the one letter.

Image - Mode - RGB
(while the image is in indexed mode, some things can't work)

OK, I did that and colour-to-alpha turned on, but what I selected it, first it squared off the hand-drawn selection to include bits of other letters and secondly, it had made up its own mind about what was background and foreground so that I couldn't get at the black letter but only the white paper.

Jonathan

Akkana Peck
2005-07-11 20:13:36 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

Newbie Question

Jonathan Allen writes:

Select by color, Fill

But that selects all the black text in the guf, not just the one letter I need to colour. That was why I had started with a hard-drawn selection to isolate just the one letter.

The Magic Wand (select contiguous regions) is a lot like Select by Color except that it won't spill off to the next letter. It might be exactly what you want for changing one letter.

...Akkana

Sven Neumann
2005-07-11 21:13:26 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

Newbie Question

Hi,

Jonathan Allen writes:

Edit->Fill with FG Color

The fact that you find it easier to ask this on a mailing-list than to locate it in the user interface makes me wonder if we have any chance at all to provide a somewhat intuitive user interface.

Sven

Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris
2005-07-11 21:30:02 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

Newbie Question

On Monday 11 July 2005 16:13, Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

Jonathan Allen writes:

Edit->Fill with FG Color

The fact that you find it easier to ask this on a mailing-list than to locate it in the user interface makes me wonder if we have any chance at all to provide a somewhat intuitive user interface.

Do not despair, Sven - the question is about "one color within a selection" - not the whole selection.

Jonathan: You have to further trim down your selection, by using the selection by color and clicking on the desired color. In order for the new selection to be within the original selection, you have to use the "select by color" tool in the "intersection mode" - click on the fourth mode icon, at the top of the tool options dialog, afeter picking the "select by color" tool - check the tool tip to see if it is intersect selection.

Then click on the desired color - voilá: only the pixels of taht color that were inside the original selection are selected now, and this is time to "Edit->fill with FG color"

If you will be needing the original selection again, tehn you willhave to save it to a channel before doing the select by color step. To do that, go to Selection->save to channel . Tehn. find the layers dialog, and click again to activate the layer you were editing, else, the channel were thev selection has been saved to will be the active drawable, and proceed with the selection by color. After you are done, go to the channels dialog, and follow the instructions on the tooltips of the buttons at the botton to restore your selection.

Sven

sam ende
2005-07-12 20:49:23 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

Newbie Question

On Monday 11 July 2005 20:13, Sven Neumann wrote:

i'm not saying nothing (but have wondered similar :)) it's difficult to criticise something which is free and costs you all a lot of time and investment in creating it, but, saying that there are some things that annoy me as a user. i think the most annoying thing is the moving around of menu items (not sure if that's the proper term) so that with every upgrade one has to search around for where the functions have moved (example, moving the 'colours' from image to layers function), and, that some things get dropped, i have no idea what happened to the dynamic text function --it's just not there anymore (and it was a fantastic plug-in.) maybe it's because we have not re-installed that and it was originally a plug-in? but then why does an upgrade cost user settings ? and so on and so forth :) nevertheless gimp is still my favourte application, thanks :)

sammi

sam ende
2005-07-12 20:55:14 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

Newbie Question

On Monday 11 July 2005 20:30, Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris wrote:

Jonathan:
You have to further trim down your selection, by using the selection by color and clicking on the desired color. In order for the new selection to be within the original selection, you have to use the "select by color" tool in the "intersection mode" - click on the fourth mode icon, at the top of the tool options dialog, afeter picking the "select by color" tool - check the tool tip to see if it is intersect selection.

he can also increase or decrease the selected areas by moving the threshold slider and choosing anti-aliasing or feathering depending on the effect he wants to achieve.

sammi

Carol Spears
2005-07-12 23:17:35 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

Newbie Question

On Tue, Jul 12, 2005 at 07:49:23PM +0100, sam ende wrote:

On Monday 11 July 2005 20:13, Sven Neumann wrote:

some things that annoy me as a user. i think the most annoying thing is the moving around of menu items (not sure if that's the proper term) so that with every upgrade one has to search around for where the functions have moved (example, moving the 'colours' from image to layers function), and, that some things get dropped, i have no idea what happened to the dynamic text function --it's just not there anymore (and it was a fantastic plug-in.) maybe it's because we have not re-installed that and it was originally a plug-in? but then why does an upgrade cost user settings ? and so on and so forth :)

the new location for the colors menu makes sense where it is, don't you think?

they are moving around the filters menu now in the development version, just so you are warned for your next upgrade. there will probably be some changes in the Xtns menu as well. when you see the changes, stop for a few minutes and review the logic. it will help when making a transition.

and about dynamic text. it was never included with the gimp tarball, it needed to be installed by the user. the plug-in was written by and maintained by marco lamberto http://the.sunnyspot.org/gimp/plugins.html

maybe a note to the developer might inspire him to update the plug-in.

until that time, gimp-1.2 and gimp2 were designed to co-exist on the same computer -- so it is not like anyone is keeping you from using the old plug-ins. you simply need to have the old gimp around to use them.

carol