RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Question about using psd format.

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Question about using psd format. Don Rozenberg 10 Jul 05:29
  Question about using psd format. Eric P 10 Jul 06:57
  Question about using psd format. Sven Neumann 10 Jul 20:42
Don Rozenberg
2005-07-10 05:29:14 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

Hi,

I am new to gimp and am running on Knoppix/Debian with Gimp 2.2.7.

I build my print images in gimp on my Knoppix box but have to send it to my wife's apple where the color printer is attached. It seems logical to use
Photoshop 7 to print the photo on the apple. So I do my gimp thing and build an 8.5x11 inches image with a resolution of 300 px/inch. I then store it as
a psd file.

However, when I open the psd in Photoshop 7, Photoshop declares that the image is 35.4x45.8 inches with a resolution of 72 px/inch. This looks like a bug
to me and since I would expect Photoshop to handle their own format correctly,
I assume that it is a gimp bug.

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

Eric P
2005-07-10 06:57:35 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

I build my print images in gimp on my Knoppix box but have to send it to my wife's apple where the color printer is attached. It seems logical to use
Photoshop 7 to print the photo on the apple. So I do my gimp thing and build an 8.5x11 inches image with a resolution of 300 px/inch. I then store it as
a psd file.

However, when I open the psd in Photoshop 7, Photoshop declares that the image is 35.4x45.8 inches with a resolution of 72 px/inch. This looks like a bug
to me and since I would expect Photoshop to handle their own format correctly,
I assume that it is a gimp bug.

Am I doing something wrong?

If all you are doing is printing, then there's no reason to use psd. You can try png or tif (both of which can handle print resolution data).

I seem to remember running into this problem as well (I use Gimp and PS at work). Let us know your results.

EP

Sven Neumann
2005-07-10 20:42:53 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

Hi,

Don Rozenberg writes:

So I do my gimp thing and build an 8.5x11 inches image with a resolution of 300 px/inch. I then store it as a psd file.

However, when I open the psd in Photoshop 7, Photoshop declares that the image is 35.4x45.8 inches with a resolution of 72 px/inch. This looks like a bug to me and since I would expect Photoshop to handle their own format correctly, I assume that it is a gimp bug.

It might be a missing feature in the GIMP PSD plug-in. The plug-in is probably not storing the print resolution to the file. But why do you care? It's still the same image with the very same number of pixels. Nothing to worry about.

Sven