RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Digital camera - Macro to normal

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

8 of 8 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Digital camera - Macro to normal Jad Madi 03 Jul 23:13
  Digital camera - Macro to normal michael chang 04 Jul 21:03
   Digital camera - Macro to normal Andreas Waechter 04 Jul 21:31
    Digital camera - Macro to normal sam ende 04 Jul 21:38
  Digital camera - Macro to normal Akkana Peck 04 Jul 23:49
  Digital camera - Macro to normal Sven Neumann 05 Jul 01:47
   Digital camera - Macro to normal Jad Madi 05 Jul 10:01
    Digital camera - Macro to normal gary ryan 11 Jul 16:22
Jad Madi
2005-07-03 23:13:27 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

Hi,
Today I took some shots but I've forgot to disable macro, actually all was great shots, but macro screwed them up

is there any filter or method to work on thos shots to make them looks normal ?
please advise

michael chang
2005-07-04 21:03:31 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

On 7/3/05, Jad Madi wrote:

Hi,
Today I took some shots but I've forgot to disable macro, actually all was great shots, but macro screwed them up

Do you know what the word macro means? A macro is a script or list of instructions/settings (for e.g. a camera, software application, etc.) that usually produce a certain effect based on a camera. For example, I've seen "macro" features that do e.g. fast motion photography, or change settings for dimly lit pictures.

There are a large variety of macro settings, that differ from camera to camera. IIRC, Many of them change the way pictures are taken, and changing those back to the form that would have occured without the macro usually involve pulling values and pixels out of thin air.

What exactly happened to the picture, and what do you consider normal? Can you send me a copy of one of the pictures? [But do _not_ send to the list, I think attachements are blocked.]

In most cases, it is easiest to retake the pictures [I know, usually impossible, but that's why most digital cameras have display screens so you can tell if you accidentally used a macro or not and fix it immidiately]. This concept [easier to redo than recover] applies to alot of issues in computing, unfortunately. (Especally since most people ignore warnings about irreversable actions and such.)

Furthermore, IIRC, most of the filters in The GIMP are used to remove e.g. speckles from scanned pictures and to modify, mangle, or add special/artistic effects to them. If you know what the mathimatical function was that your camera used in macro mode [which means that you are a developer of the camera, in which you should make it more "user-friendly" by making macro-modes harder to enable or keeping duplicates, an original and a macroed-copy, which would halve storage "capacities" [in picture counts]] then you can try writing e.g. a C plugin for The GIMP that reverses the formula, provided randomly generated numbers weren't used, and pixels weren't thrown away.

I thought beginners weren't supposed to use macro modes. Then again, digi-cameras nowadays make it too easy to switch modes unintentionally. The last camera I saw with a macro mode only increased the detail level with the macro mode (allowing finer details to be taken in a picture, e.g. the seeds on a white dandilion).

Someone else correct me if I'm wrong.

Andreas Waechter
2005-07-04 21:31:14 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

michael chang wrote:
> Do you know what the word macro means? A macro is a script or list of
> instructions/settings (for e.g. a camera, software application, etc.)

Do _you_ know what the word macro usually means (esp. when in camera context)?

Usually it refers to lens settings for low-distance large-scale images, and has nothing to do with computing at all, it's an optical setup (macro lenses existed long before digital photography).

sam ende
2005-07-04 21:38:52 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

On Monday 04 July 2005 20:31, Andreas Waechter wrote:

Do _you_ know what the word macro usually means (esp. when in camera context)?

Usually it refers to lens settings for low-distance large-scale images, and has nothing to do with computing at all, it's an optical setup (macro lenses existed long before digital photography).

reminds me of when i made a reference to topology and people assumed i was referring to physics/maths whereas i was actually referring to my interest in archeology :)

sammi

Akkana Peck
2005-07-04 23:49:05 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

Jad Madi writes:

In what way did it screw them up?

The most common way is that they'll be out of focus -- the camera is set to only focus on close things, and you pointed at something far away so it couldn't focus.

You'll never be able to get a really sharp image out of that -- the information just isn't there in the photograph -- but if it's not *too* far out of focus, Unsharp Mask can make it a bit better. Play around with the settings (Unsharp Mask has a preview now, which really helps).

If you have a lot of time to spend and really can't retake the photos, there are other techniques for using Unsharp Mask or other sharpening tools in conjunction with other tools (selections or layer masks, for example) to get better control over how an image gets sharpened. The term to google for is "sharpen" or "sharpening" -- you may be able to find some helpful tutorials with that keyword plus things like "photo", "blurry", "tutorial", or "GIMP". Don't limit yourself to GIMP tutorials; tutorials for other image processing programs can often be applied to GIMP.

...Akkana

Sven Neumann
2005-07-05 01:47:08 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

Hi,

Jad Madi writes:

Did you try your luck with Refocus yet? http://refocus.sourceforge.net/

Sven

Jad Madi
2005-07-05 10:01:26 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

Hi
Here is a list of shots I want to work on http://jadmadi.net/macro
I'll try unsharpmask and Refocus
Thank you for the help guys

gary ryan
2005-07-11 16:22:36 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

I don't know Jad. Those are so far out of focus, I think you may be out of luck. Best of luck to you tho!

-gary http://www.eighteenpercent.net
http://www.pbase.com/gmr2048

On 7/5/05, Jad Madi wrote:

Hi
Here is a list of shots I want to work on http://jadmadi.net/macro
I'll try unsharpmask and Refocus
Thank you for the help guys