RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

How to manage a lot of brushes?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

How to manage a lot of brushes? Olivier Lecarme 28 Jun 19:57
  How to manage a lot of brushes? Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris 28 Jun 20:26
  How to manage a lot of brushes? Carol Spears 29 Jun 01:14
Olivier Lecarme
2005-06-28 19:57:54 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

I loaded the various brushes mentioned on Carol Spears' web page. I now have a set of 1482 different brushes, which are very interesting and useful, but very difficult to manage in the unique brushes dialog. Is there a way to have a hierarchy, and to see some very specific brushes only when one wants ithem explicitly?

Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris
2005-06-28 20:26:16 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

On Tuesday 28 June 2005 14:57, Olivier Lecarme wrote:

I loaded the various brushes mentioned on Carol Spears' web page. I now have a set of 1482 different brushes, which are very interesting and useful, but very difficult to manage in the unique brushes dialog. Is there a way to have a hierarchy, and to see some very specific brushes only when one wants ithem explicitly?

Nope!
And worse yet: all these brushes use up your memory while the GIMP is loaded.

You'd better divide the brushes in several directories, and control theur appearances in the brush directories, in the preferences dialogs (i.e. leaving nn only the directories you will be using, them hitting refresh brushes)

Js
->

Carol Spears
2005-06-29 01:14:49 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

On Tue, Jun 28, 2005 at 07:57:54PM +0200, Olivier Lecarme wrote:

it would take some time to sort them, but gimp can handle its resources the same way fontconfig is working now.

in the Preferences, under "Folders" there is the ability to use different directories. you could, for example, make a folder for "charcoal" brushes and "flower" brushes and any other useful way of organizing these resources that might be helpful to you.

i am going to call "folder" by what i consider to be a more appropriate word "directory" from this point on.

using the preferences dialog, you could easily limit the brushes that gimp uses in each session, by having it not use the directories full of brushes that would not be helpful to you.

i rather like this way of being able to manage resources. i wanted to manage fonts this way long ago and now, being able to manage tons of gradients, palettes, fonts and brushes this way is a real strength that does not clutter the gui or do that much to change the way you work. well, it doesn't change the way i work at least.

hmm, now i am wondering if it is a good method to managing the plug-ins as well. i have some in the plug-in directory that work and some that are not working....

this was a great question, thanks! carol