RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Text along Path.

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

10 of 10 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Text along Path. nuno alexandre 14 Jun 04:01
  Text along Path. Carol Spears 14 Jun 05:01
   Text along Path. nuno alexandre 14 Jun 06:06
    Text along Path. Carol Spears 14 Jun 08:12
     Text along Path. nuno alexandre 14 Jun 08:23
      Text along Path. Jakub Steiner 14 Jun 12:55
       Text along Path. nuno alexandre 14 Jun 13:31
      Text along Path. Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris 14 Jun 15:04
  Text along Path. Eric P 14 Jun 05:38
  Text along Path. Andreas Waechter 14 Jun 13:14
nuno alexandre
2005-06-14 04:01:27 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

Text along Path.

Hi,
Is there some way to achieve this with TheGimp ? http://www.ultraweaver.com/tutorials/textalongpath/index.htm

thanks

nuno

Carol Spears
2005-06-14 05:01:54 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

Text along Path.

On Tue, Jun 14, 2005 at 04:01:27AM +0200, nuno alexandre wrote:

Is there some way to achieve this with TheGimp ? http://www.ultraweaver.com/tutorials/textalongpath/index.htm

well, i got the hard parts done -- a lot more quickly than i thought i would be able to.

first i made a path using the pathtool, then i used the text tool to make some text. in the tool options there is a button for "text along a path". it was simple, all i did was use this button and the text did the correct thing, as a path. i changed the path into a selection and filled it.

to get the other part of the effect, the perspective tool worked as you would expect it to.

i left my layers and paths intact within the xcf: http://carol.gimp.org/files/text-along-path.xcf

it could have been more neatly done and also finished -- but the basic effect is there and the rest of the image can be made if you look at some of the beginners tutorials located at www.gimp.org.

thanks for showing me the url! carol

Eric P
2005-06-14 05:38:11 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

Text along Path.

nuno alexandre wrote:

Hi,

thanks

nuno

'Curve Bend' under filters can do a similar effect, but I think you'll want Inkscape (Inkscape.org) to do it right. You can export a raster image from Inkscape and open it with the Gimp for further editing.

EP

nuno alexandre
2005-06-14 06:06:16 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

Text along Path.

On Mon, 2005-06-13 at 20:01 -0700, Carol Spears wrote:

well, i got the hard parts done -- a lot more quickly than i thought i would be able to.

first i made a path using the pathtool, then i used the text tool to make some text. in the tool options there is a button for "text along a path". it was simple, all i did was use this button and the text did the correct thing, as a path. i changed the path into a selection and filled it.

wait a minute ... can you describe in a more sensible way the steps required to make that ?
Im using TheGimp 2.2.7 on Gnu/linux and the button I have is called: "Create path from text", however when i press that button nothing happens-
That is the text doesn't follow the path i made before.

Im doing this:

1) New image 400x400 white bg 2) Create Path - round mountain shaped 3) Enter some text
4) choose "Create path from text" from the text tools -#-
At this point I have:
a) a white background layer + a text layer b) 2 paths - 1) the text I wrote
2) The path I.ve drew 5) change "Path to selection" ( the path I drew?) 6) ?!?

If you have the time and patience to explain it - thanks, otherwise ill keep trying.

nuno

Carol Spears
2005-06-14 08:12:28 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

Text along Path.

On Tue, Jun 14, 2005 at 06:06:16AM +0200, nuno alexandre wrote:

On Mon, 2005-06-13 at 20:01 -0700, Carol Spears wrote:

wait a minute ... can you describe in a more sensible way the steps required to make that ?
Im using TheGimp 2.2.7 on Gnu/linux and the button I have is called: "Create path from text", however when i press that button nothing happens-
That is the text doesn't follow the path i made before.

Im doing this:

1) New image 400x400 white bg 2) Create Path - round mountain shaped 3) Enter some text
4) choose "Create path from text" from the text tools

the error is in 4) of your steps.

i am curious which version of gimp has the "Text along path" button, it might be new. perhaps you should try the recent developers version: ftp://ftp.gimp.org/pub/gimp/v2.3/

i find the unstable version to be very stable; it is weird how software is that way -- at least this free stuff i use. stable distributions can be more unstable since no one really cares about it anymore, for instance.

-#-
At this point I have:
a) a white background layer + a text layer b) 2 paths - 1) the text I wrote
2) The path I.ve drew 5) change "Path to selection" ( the path I drew?) 6) ?!?

If you have the time and patience to explain it - thanks, otherwise ill keep trying.

i have the patience :)

i think the problem is that you do not have the button.

also, if you are worried about problems with the unstable version, it might actually be in your better interests to see about using the cvs version. once you can build a gimp, it is usually easy to take the few extra steps to build the cvs version. what you get from the extra effort is that any problems you find will probably get fixed; if the developers agree with you that it is a problem.

also, i like the quote that i deleted from both of these emails.

carol

nuno alexandre
2005-06-14 08:23:13 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

Text along Path.

On Mon, 2005-06-13 at 23:12 -0700, Carol Spears wrote:

Im doing this:

4) choose "Create path from text" from the text tools

the error is in 4) of your steps.

i am curious which version of gimp has the "Text along path" button, it might be new. perhaps you should try the recent developers version: ftp://ftp.gimp.org/pub/gimp/v2.3/

I'm using version 2.2.7 which in the one in Gentoo portage for amd64 "unstable" branch. ( ~amd64 )

i find the unstable version to be very stable; it is weird how software is that way -- at least this free stuff i use. stable distributions can be more unstable since no one really cares about it anymore, for instance.

Well, usually the software marked unstable has (bug)fixes and features not yet found
on the 'stable' - so indeed sometimes that is the case in the current versions and development (cvs,svn...) but not always :)

i think the problem is that you do not have the button.

no wonder ...

also, if you are worried about problems with the unstable version, it might actually be in your better interests to see about using the cvs version. once you can build a gimp, it is usually easy to take the few extra steps to build the cvs version. what you get from the extra effort is that any problems you find will probably get fixed; if the developers agree with you that it is a problem.

alright - ill hack up an ebuild for TheGimp to fetch the cvs instead. Thanks.

nuno

Jakub Steiner
2005-06-14 12:55:25 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

Text along Path.

On Tue, 2005-06-14 at 08:23 +0200, nuno alexandre wrote:

I'm using version 2.2.7 which in the one in Gentoo portage for amd64 "unstable" branch. ( ~amd64 )

Hello there!

This functionality indeed appears to only be in 2.3. If you want to have a little more interactive control on how the text is placed on the curve, I really suggest using Inkscape (http://inkscape.org) and import back to GIMP.

cheers

Andreas Waechter
2005-06-14 13:14:10 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

Text along Path.

nuno alexandre wrote:

Hi,

thanks

nuno

For the Text along Path part of it:

I have this option under

- Script-Fu - Render - Text along path

in my 2.2.7 Gimp.

I don't remember whether I installed an extra script for it or whether it came with the standard installation.

Andreas

nuno alexandre
2005-06-14 13:31:26 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

Text along Path.

On Tue, 2005-06-14 at 12:55 +0200, Jakub Steiner wrote:

Hello there!

This functionality indeed appears to only be in 2.3. If you want to have a little more interactive control on how the text is placed on the curve, I really suggest using Inkscape (http://inkscape.org) and import back to GIMP.

cheers

Hi,
yeah - I installed the 2.3 version and played with it for a while, and the text to path thing 'kinda' works, although there is a lot left to desire.(disappointment)
I think I'll follow your recommendation, use Inkscape more often for my graphic needs - i already have it installed, but don't use it often.

thanks for the input :>

nuno

Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris
2005-06-14 15:04:29 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

Text along Path.

On Tuesday 14 June 2005 03:23, nuno alexandre wrote:

On Mon, 2005-06-13 at 23:12 -0700, Carol Spears wrote:

alright - ill hack up an ebuild for TheGimp to fetch the cvs instead. Thanks.

nuno

Indeed, it is a new button just above "create path from text" in GIMP 2.3 /CVS HEAD - called "Text along path".

I ejust tried it when I saw your e-mail from yesterday, and it's UI may require some improvement before the final 2.4 - but it works now.

I am writing this because I can infere from your previous e-mails that you do not know the full functionality of paths - and this button just create a new path. I will explain from the start

A path is a vectorial entity in the GIMP. There is a dialog to see whuch paths exist in a given image - usually it is the third tab on the layers dockable dialog (or if it is closed, just select the "Paths" in the dialogs menu).

A path is normally invisible, unless it is being edited - with the path tool, the one that by default is after the Scissors tool - or if it is set to be editable in the paths dialog (clicking to the left of a path's name will toggle the 'eye' visibility icon).

Once you have your new GIMP 2.3.1 or newer, draw a path with the paths tool to be the text path. Then
select the text tool and an apropriate font size beforehand, write your text,
"label 1"
click the text along path button
toggle the text alyer to invisible
change to th paths dialog
if the bended text path you created is ok, then proceed to "label 2 " else
delete the bended text path
switch back to the layers dialog click to edit text
change your font size/text length go back to "label 1"
"label 2"
select a layer on the layers dialog for the bended txt to show up choose whether you want to fill or stroke the path if you want to fill, click in path to selection, drag a color to the image
else if you want to stroke, go to edit->stroke path

-------- Pleas do nto be scared for the number of steps - most are "authomatic" - you better do not follow this e-mail when you are at it - just read throw it once.

But I think I made a point of why this feature's UI need some more improvement, mainly around the first "if".

Regards,

JS ->