RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

OT GTK/SuSE/Gimp question

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

OT GTK/SuSE/Gimp question Eric P 04 Jun 17:44
  OT GTK/SuSE/Gimp question BandiPat 04 Jun 18:43
Eric P
2005-06-04 17:44:51 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

This is probably way off topic for this ML (so please ignore if you want), but it started w/the Gimp, so what hell...

I compiled new versions of atk/glib2/gtk2/pango in order to start checking out the 2.3 series of the Gimp.

Everything went fine. I removed the old atk/glib2/gtk2/pango RPMs along w/their respected devel RPMs. I then make installed (via checkinstall) all the new GTK and friends, so I now have lovely round RPMs of each package installed. Now I compiled Gimp 2.3.0, and, yet again, all went well.

However, when I run YAST now, it insists on reinstalling the old GTK (and friends) devel RPMs. Of course, I don't want to do that as the new header files are already installed. The RPMs I created (with checkinstall) contain the header files. The RPM packages just weren't broken out into 2 RPMs per package (i.e., binary RPM and devel RPM) like SuSE and other distros tend to do.

Any tips on this dilemma?

Thanks for reading, Eric P

Ps. I'm running SuSE 9.2 pro

BandiPat
2005-06-04 18:43:29 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

On Saturday 04 June 2005 11:44 am, Eric P wrote:

This is probably way off topic for this ML (so please ignore if you want), but it started w/the Gimp, so what hell...

I compiled new versions of atk/glib2/gtk2/pango in order to start checking out the 2.3 series of the Gimp.

Everything went fine. I removed the old atk/glib2/gtk2/pango RPMs along w/their respected devel RPMs. I then make installed (via checkinstall) all the new GTK and friends, so I now have lovely round RPMs of each package installed. Now I compiled Gimp 2.3.0, and, yet again, all went well.

However, when I run YAST now, it insists on reinstalling the old GTK (and friends) devel RPMs. Of course, I don't want to do that as the new header files are already installed. The RPMs I created (with checkinstall) contain the header files. The RPM packages just weren't broken out into 2 RPMs per package (i.e., binary RPM and devel RPM) like SuSE and other distros tend to do.

Any tips on this dilemma?

Thanks for reading, Eric P

Ps. I'm running SuSE 9.2 pro

=========

Eric,
Did you get any conflicts or dependencies when trying to install the new rpms? I would guess you have a mismatch of sorts and that is why YaST2 wants to put things right. You can go into YaST2 software module and select those files you installed to set them as protected, so YaST2 doesn't complain continually. If you have been running YOU to stay updated, your glib2 files & pango files should be adequate to run Gimp newer versions, mine is. I don't have any trouble compiling the newer Gimp builds either. Here are presently installed 9.2 versions: glib2-devel-2.6.3-9
glib2-2.6.3-9
glib2-doc-2.6.3-9

pango-devel-1.4.1-3 pango-1.4.1-3
pango-doc-1.4.1-3

regards,
Patrick