RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

All about fonts.

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

All about fonts. John R. Culleton 27 May 18:00
  All about fonts. Gezim Hoxha 28 May 02:32
   All about fonts. John R. Culleton 28 May 11:12
  All about fonts. Sven Neumann 29 May 11:55
John R. Culleton
2005-05-27 18:00:41 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

All about fonts.

A long while back I had a selection of fonts available for Gimp. I had instructions for installing the fonts and making them work. I recall there was a directory in X11 somewhere that was involved. When you used the text function a list appeared from which you could select a typeface and size. Now all that seems to have gone.

Now I have forgotten the magic formula, And the www.gimp.org site seems not to mention the issue.

Would some kind soul please point my errant fingers to the correct howto and downloads? I have Slackware Linux 10.1 and both Gimp 2.2 and 2.3.
-

John Culleton
The answers to all your publishing questions are found in the excellent books listed in the word-famous shortlist! http://wexfordpress.com/tex/shortlist.pdf

Gezim Hoxha
2005-05-28 02:32:15 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

All about fonts.

On Fri, 2005-05-27 at 16:00 +0000, John R. Culleton wrote:

A long while back I had a selection of fonts available for Gimp. I had instructions for installing the fonts and making them work. I recall there was a directory in X11 somewhere that was involved. When you used the text function a list appeared from which you could select a typeface and size. Now all that seems to have gone.

In gimp 2.2, if you don't necessarily want the fonts installed on the whole system (i.e. the fonts will only work in gimp), then you could just put the fonts in a directory (ex. /home/gezim/fonts/) then start gimp and go to "File>Preferences" (in the main window) then on the left hand side, click the arrow beside "Folders" (this will expand the "Folders"). Finally, click on "Fonts". Now on the right half of the window, click the plus sign, then in the text field enter the location of the font's folder or click "..." to browse manually. The font directory should be listed below the text field, and without a checkmark under "writable". Now you can click "OK" and then restart GIMP. As for choosing fonts, make sure the "tool options windows" is open, however, if not, go to "File>Dialogs>Tool Options".

-Gezim

P.S.: I think someone might have already answered your question but due to the delay in the mailing list server message processing answers have to be repeated.

John R. Culleton
2005-05-28 11:12:38 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

All about fonts.

On Saturday 28 May 2005 12:32 am, Gezim Hoxha wrote:

On Fri, 2005-05-27 at 16:00 +0000, John R. Culleton wrote:

In gimp 2.2, if you don't necessarily want the fonts installed on the whole system (i.e. the fonts will only work in gimp), then you could just put the fonts in a directory (ex. /home/gezim/fonts/) then start gimp and go to "File>Preferences" (in the main window) then on the left hand side, click the arrow beside "Folders" (this will expand the "Folders"). Finally, click on "Fonts". Now on the right half of the window, click the plus sign, then in the text field enter the location of the font's folder or click "..." to browse manually. The font directory should be listed below the text field, and without a checkmark under "writable". Now you can click "OK" and then restart GIMP. As for choosing fonts, make sure the "tool options windows" is open, however, if not, go to "File>Dialogs>Tool Options".

Thanks for a lucid explanation. I learned the following additional things:

1. To add fonts globally create a file called /etc/fonts/local.conf like this:
--------------------------

/usr/local/fonts/freefont /usr/local/fonts/sharefont

------------------------------ (Of course different paths may be specified.) Then run fc-cache.

2 . In Gimp, follow the instructions you give above in re. the preferences dialog. However there is no plus sign in Gimp 2.3. Instead you click on a little sheet of paper icon, then type in the directory in the little window to the right of the icon.
3. in Gimp, when in the fonts tool dialog, to get a list of the available fonts click on the square with "Aa" in it. This simple step eluded me.

I am reminded of Bill Cosby's kindergarten routine: "One and one is two."
"Crazy, man, but what's a two?"

Again thanks. I hope your comments and my additions may be useful to another person operating at the kindergarten level.

Sven Neumann
2005-05-29 11:55:17 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

All about fonts.

Hi,

"John R. Culleton" writes:

Now I have forgotten the magic formula, And the www.gimp.org site seems not to mention the issue.

What about http://gimp.org/unix/fonts.html ?

Sven