RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

still lacking plugin support??

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

9 of 9 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

still lacking plugin support?? McAfee 27 May 00:59
  still lacking plugin support?? Owen 27 May 05:56
   still lacking plugin support?? McAfee 28 May 22:07
    still lacking plugin support?? Sven Neumann 29 May 11:51
  still lacking plugin support?? Olivier Ripoll 27 May 09:23
   still lacking plugin support?? McAfee 28 May 21:54
  still lacking plugin support?? Michael Schumacher 28 May 22:33
   still lacking plugin support?? McAfee 29 May 04:27
    still lacking plugin support?? Carol Spears 29 May 06:14
McAfee
2005-05-27 00:59:49 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

I have the latest versions of libjpeg, libpng, libtiff and libXpm installed with LD_LIBRARY_PATH set accordingly. I also downloaded and installed gimpprint, and gimp-help.

After three compile attempts...

1) I still cannot save in any other format other than .xcf 2) There is still no 'file/print' menu option 3) The help-browser module still doesn't get built

Thanks for any help?

Graeme

P.S.: System: Solaris-sparc9

Owen
2005-05-27 05:56:27 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

On Thu, 26 May 2005 18:59:49 -0400 McAfee wrote:

I have the latest versions of libjpeg, libpng, libtiff and libXpm installed with LD_LIBRARY_PATH set accordingly. I also downloaded and installed gimpprint, and gimp-help.

1) I still cannot save in any other format other than .xcf

Errr, well I presume you are using Gimp-2.2 something.

File->Save As->Select filetype by extension.

If that's not there, you have something wrong?

2) There is still no 'file/print' menu option

Well you have to have an image loaded before it will show "Print"

3) The help-browser module still doesn't get built

Read the results og your configure, it will probably tell you why it's not being built, so then go install what is missing

Owen

Olivier Ripoll
2005-05-27 09:23:05 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

McAfee wrote:

Could you give us more detail, for instance: - are there some error messages when you try to save in other formats or just nothing happens ?
- launching gimp from a terminal, do you see messages printed when you try to save to a .png or a .jpeg ?

there should be some useful information when you configure and/or make the gimp about missing libraries and skipped functionalities.

you need to install gtkhtml for this (it required on my distro to install some additional gnome packages IIRC)

Thanks for any help?

The new (gimp2) "save" windows is different from the old (gimp1.x) one. by default, the gimp is set to save according to the file name you give, based on the extension. Maybe all you need to do is to type this extension.

Best regards,

Olivier.

Graeme

P.S.: System: Solaris-sparc9

McAfee
2005-05-28 21:54:56 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

Olivier Ripoll wrote:

Could you give us more detail, for instance: - are there error messages when you try to save in other formats or just nothing happens ?
- launching gimp from a terminal, do you see messages printed when you try to save to a .png or a .jpeg ?

Yes, the Gimp error console displays the message 'Unknown file type' when I try to open or save any file type with an extension other than .xcf

there should be some useful information when you configure and/or make the gimp about missing libraries and skipped functionalities.

'configure' reported that it found libgtkhtml

you need to install gtkhtml for this (it is required on my distro to install some additional gnome packages IIRC)

libgtkhtml was created and installed prior to creating Gimp

The new (gimp2) "save" windows is different from the old (gimp1.x) one. by default, the gimp is set to save according to the file name you give, based on the extension. Maybe all you need to do is to type this extension.

See #1

Olivier.

McAfee
2005-05-28 22:07:21 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

Owen wrote:

Errr, well I presume you are using Gimp-2.2 something.

Yes, Gimp 2.2.6.

File->Save As->Select filetype by extension.

If that's not there, you have something wrong?

It is there.

Well you have to have an image loaded before it will show "Print"

Even with a .xcf image saved then opened, there is no "print" menu option

Read the results of your configure, it will probably tell you why it's not being built, so then go install what is missing

config.log contains no gimpprint errors:

configure:31674: checking for gimpprint-config configure:31692: found /usr/local/bin/gimpprint-config configure:31705: result: /usr/local/bin/gimpprint-config configure:31713: checking for GIMP-PRINT - version >= 4.2.0 configure:31824: gcc -o conftest -g -O2 -Wall -I/usr/local/include -L... -L... -lgimpprint -lm >&5
config.status:1134: creating plug-ins/print/Makefile ...
ac_cv_path_GIMPPRINT_CONFIG=/usr/local/bin/gimpprint-config ...
GIMPPRINT_CFLAGS='-I/usr/local/include' GIMPPRINT_CONFIG='/usr/local/bin/gimpprint-config' GIMPPRINT_LIBS='-L/usr/local/lib -lgimpprint -lm' GIMPPRINT_REQUIRED_VERSION='4.2.0'
GIMPPRINT_TOONEW_VERSION='4.3.0'

Owen

Graeme

Michael Schumacher
2005-05-28 22:33:08 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

McAfee wrote:

1) I still cannot save in any other format other than .xcf 2) There is still no 'file/print' menu option 3) The help-browser module still doesn't get built

Did you mix different versions of GIMP?

Michael

McAfee
2005-05-29 04:27:26 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

Michael Schumacher wrote:

McAfee wrote:

No. I had to do some housecleaning for these directories... /lib
/usr/local/lib
/usr/sfw/lib
/opt/sfw/lib
what a mess!

I tried to delete all Gimp1.2 dependencies (without breaking anything else). I seem to have been successful in that, but I may have missed something. Gimp2.6 gets built and looks great with GTK but I just cannot determine why I cannot get it to open/save png, tiff, jpeg files, build the help-browser, nor print!!!

Does CUPS need to be installed for gimpprint to work (I don't think so but thought I'd ask)?

I'm lost here?

Thanks for any help.

Graeme

Carol Spears
2005-05-29 06:14:29 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

On Sat, May 28, 2005 at 10:27:26PM -0400, McAfee wrote:

Michael Schumacher wrote:

McAfee wrote:

No. I had to do some housecleaning for these directories... /lib
/usr/local/lib
/usr/sfw/lib
/opt/sfw/lib
what a mess!

I tried to delete all Gimp1.2 dependencies (without breaking anything else). I seem to have been successful in that, but I may have missed something. Gimp2.6 gets built and looks great with GTK but I just cannot determine why I cannot get it to open/save png, tiff, jpeg files, build the help-browser, nor print!!!

whatever gimp-1.2 depends on should not affect gimp2 dependencies. the advice was to look for other instances of gimp-2.something on your computer. if the build process finds things in /usr/ it will not look for things in /usr/local/ or where ever you might have things at.

i suggest that you watch the configure messages very carefully; it gives you a lot of information.

gimp print is a separate package.

Does CUPS need to be installed for gimpprint to work (I don't think so but thought I'd ask)?

I'm lost here?

it is a separate package and it should also give helpful information either via the INSTALL file or via the configuration spew.

take a deep breath, relax and read the spew ....

Thanks for any help.

once the problems are taken care of and if you continue with gimp logically you should never have these issues again.

carol

Sven Neumann
2005-05-29 11:51:25 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

Hi,

please check if the plug-in search path actually points to the correct folders. You can look at the plug-in search path and edit it from the Preferences dialog.

Sven