RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Gimp-Perl plugin fails to compile.

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

14 of 15 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Gimp-Perl plugin fails to compile. Rikard Johnels 19 May 07:20
  Gimp-Perl plugin fails to compile. Sven Neumann 21 May 00:30
   Gimp-Perl plugin fails to compile. Rikard Johnels 21 May 18:38
    Gimp-Perl plugin fails to compile. Sven Neumann 22 May 16:23
     Gimp-Perl plugin fails to compile. Rikard Johnels 22 May 23:07
      Gimp-Perl plugin fails to compile. Sven Neumann 23 May 00:32
       Gimp-Perl plugin fails to compile. Rikard Johnels 23 May 16:49
        Gimp-Perl plugin fails to compile. Carol Spears 24 May 16:48
         Gimp-Perl plugin fails to compile. Rikard Johnels 24 May 22:08
          Gimp-Perl plugin fails to compile. Owen 25 May 00:38
Gimp-Perl plugin fails to compile. Rikard Johnels 19 May 19:04
  Gimp-Perl plugin fails to compile. Rikard Johnels 21 May 18:36
Gimp-Perl plugin fails to compile. Michael Schumacher 25 May 10:18
20050524231943.GJ31606@gimp... 07 Oct 20:17
  Gimp-Perl plugin fails to compile. Rikard Johnels 25 May 01:47
Rikard Johnels
2005-05-19 07:20:01 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

Hell all!
I am desperatly trying to get the Perl module to compile/install but i have no luck.

/build/Gimp-1.211 # perl Makefile.PL loading cache ./config.cache
checking for gimp... (cached) /opt/gnome/bin/gimp checking for gimptool... (cached) /opt/gnome/bin/gimptool checking for GIMP - version >= 1.0.4... yes checking for glib-config... (cached) /opt/gnome/bin/glib-config checking for GLIB - version >= 1.2.0... yes checking how to run the C preprocessor... (cached) cc -E checking for libgimp/gimpmodule.h... (cached) yes checking for libintl.h... (cached) yes checking for unistd.h... (cached) yes checking for vsnprintf... (cached) yes checking for intelligent life... not found checking for _exit... (cached) yes
creating ./config.status
creating config.pl
creating config.h
config.h is unchanged
now invoking perl to complete the configuration... + exec /usr/bin/perl Makefile.PL --writemakefile PREFIX=/usr

FATAL: unable to deduce plugindir from gimptool script

sparhawk:~ # rpm -q gimp gimp-2.2.7-1.guru.suse92
sparhawk:~ # rpm -q gimp-devel
gimp-devel-2.2.7-1.guru.suse92

What am i missing here?

Rikard Johnels
2005-05-19 19:04:14 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

Hell all!
I am desperatly trying to get the Perl module to compile/install but i have no luck.

checking for gimp... (cached) /opt/gnome/bin/gimp checking for gimptool... (cached) /opt/gnome/bin/gimptool checking for GIMP - version >= 1.0.4... yes checking for glib-config... (cached) /opt/gnome/bin/glib-config checking for GLIB - version >= 1.2.0... yes checking how to run the C preprocessor... (cached) cc -E checking for libgimp/gimpmodule.h... (cached) yes checking for libintl.h... (cached) yes checking for unistd.h... (cached) yes checking for vsnprintf... (cached) yes checking for intelligent life... not found checking for _exit... (cached) yes
creating ./config.status
creating config.pl
creating config.h
config.h is unchanged
now invoking perl to complete the configuration... + exec /usr/bin/perl Makefile.PL --writemakefile PREFIX=/usr

What am i missing here?

Sven Neumann
2005-05-21 00:30:26 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

Hi,

Rikard Johnels writes:

creating ./config.status
creating config.pl
creating config.h
config.h is unchanged

You are trying to compile/install a hopelessly outdated version of Gimp-Perl.

Sven

Rikard Johnels
2005-05-21 18:36:53 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

On Thursday 19 May 2005 19.04, Rikard Johnels wrote:

Hell all!

creating ./config.status
creating config.pl
creating config.h
config.h is unchanged

What am i missing here?

Rikard Johnels
2005-05-21 18:38:53 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

On Saturday 21 May 2005 00.30, you wrote:

Hi,

Rikard Johnels writes:

creating ./config.status
creating config.pl
creating config.h
config.h is unchanged

You are trying to compile/install a hopelessly outdated version of Gimp-Perl.

Sven

So where can i find a newer version?? Its collected via perl CPAN a few days ago. I thought this to be the latest...?

Sven Neumann
2005-05-22 16:23:13 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

Hi,

Rikard Johnels writes:

So where can i find a newer version?? Its collected via perl CPAN a few days ago. I thought this to be the latest...?

Use the Gimp-2.0 package from CPAN.

Sven

Rikard Johnels
2005-05-22 23:07:16 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

On Sunday 22 May 2005 16.23, you wrote:

Hi,

Rikard Johnels writes:

Use the Gimp-2.0 package from CPAN.

Sven

Please help a clueless individual... How the (lots of bad words) do i get the beast installed?? I tried getting perl to build it by it self #> perl -e shell -MCPAN
sparhawk:~ # perl -e shell -MCPAN

cpan shell -- CPAN exploration and modules installation (v1.7601) ReadLine support enabled

cpan> install Gimp

And that pulled the module and failed to compile. I then tried:
sparhawk:~ # cd .cpan/build/Gimp-1.211/ sparhawk:~/.cpan/build/Gimp-1.211 #
sparhawk:~/.cpan/build/Gimp-1.211 # perl Makefile.PL

And that too failed.

So how do i get it to find, download and finally successfully compile it???

Sven Neumann
2005-05-23 00:32:29 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

Hi,

Rikard Johnels writes:

cpan> install Gimp

As I said already, you want to install "Gimp-2.0" instead of "Gimp".

Sven

Rikard Johnels
2005-05-23 16:49:51 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

On Monday 23 May 2005 00.32, Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

Rikard Johnels writes:

cpan> install Gimp

Sven

Ok.. Trying to get Gimp-2.0..

cpan> install Gimp-2.0 CPAN: Storable loaded ok
Going to read /root/.cpan/Metadata
Database was generated on Thu, 19 May 2005 01:55:39 GMT CPAN: LWP::UserAgent loaded ok
Fetching with LWP:
ftp://ftp.du.se/pub/CPAN/authors/01mailrc.txt.gz Going to read /root/.cpan/sources/authors/01mailrc.txt.gz CPAN: Compress::Zlib loaded ok
Fetching with LWP:
ftp://ftp.du.se/pub/CPAN/modules/02packages.details.txt.gz Going to read /root/.cpan/sources/modules/02packages.details.txt.gz Database was generated on Mon, 23 May 2005 09:57:03 GMT Fetching with LWP:
ftp://ftp.du.se/pub/CPAN/modules/03modlist.data.gz Going to read /root/.cpan/sources/modules/03modlist.data.gz Going to write /root/.cpan/Metadata
Warning: Cannot install Gimp-2.0, don't know what it is. Try the command

i /Gimp-2.0/

to find objects with matching identifiers.

cpan> i /Gimp-2.0/ No objects found of any type for argument /Gimp-2.0/

cpan> i /Gimp2/ No objects found of any type for argument /Gimp2/

cpan>i /Gimp/ Author GIMPIT ("Jay Scherrer" ) Distribution M/ML/MLEHMANN/Gimp-1.211.tar.gz Module Data::Stag::StagImpl (C/CM/CMUNGALL/Data-Stag-0.09.tar.gz) Module Gimp (M/ML/MLEHMANN/Gimp-1.211.tar.gz) Module Gimp::Compat (M/ML/MLEHMANN/Gimp-1.211.tar.gz) Module Gimp::Data (M/ML/MLEHMANN/Gimp-1.211.tar.gz) Module Gimp::Feature (M/ML/MLEHMANN/Gimp-1.211.tar.gz) Module Gimp::Fu (M/ML/MLEHMANN/Gimp-1.211.tar.gz) Module Gimp::Lib (M/ML/MLEHMANN/Gimp-1.211.tar.gz) Module Gimp::Module (M/ML/MLEHMANN/Gimp-1.211.tar.gz) Module Gimp::Net (M/ML/MLEHMANN/Gimp-1.211.tar.gz) Module Gimp::PDL (M/ML/MLEHMANN/Gimp-1.211.tar.gz) Module Gimp::Pod (M/ML/MLEHMANN/Gimp-1.211.tar.gz) Module Gimp::UI (M/ML/MLEHMANN/Gimp-1.211.tar.gz) Module Gimp::Util (M/ML/MLEHMANN/Gimp-1.211.tar.gz) Module Gimp::basewidget (M/ML/MLEHMANN/Gimp-1.211.tar.gz) 16 items found

So i have still no clues on how to get Gimp-2.0.

Carol Spears
2005-05-24 16:48:52 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

On Mon, May 23, 2005 at 04:49:51PM +0200, Rikard Johnels wrote:

Hi,

Rikard Johnels writes:

cpan> install Gimp

Sven

You can get it two ways that i know of:

the tarball is available at ftp://ftp.gimp.org/pub/gimp/plug-ins/v2.0/perl/

or you can get it from gnomecvs: export CVSROOT=':pserver:anonymous@anoncvs.gimp.org:/cvs/gnome' then cvs checkout gimp-perl

I dont know what is wrong with CPAN.

thanks, carol

Rikard Johnels
2005-05-24 22:08:16 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

On Tuesday 24 May 2005 16.48, Carol Spears wrote:

On Mon, May 23, 2005 at 04:49:51PM +0200, Rikard Johnels wrote:

Hi,

Rikard Johnels writes:

cpan> install Gimp

Sven

You can get it two ways that i know of:

the tarball is available at ftp://ftp.gimp.org/pub/gimp/plug-ins/v2.0/perl/

or you can get it from gnomecvs: export CVSROOT=':pserver:anonymous@anoncvs.gimp.org:/cvs/gnome' then cvs checkout gimp-perl

I dont know what is wrong with CPAN.

thanks, carol

Ok. Got it from the ftp.
It still barfs the shit out of itself:

rikjoh@sparhawk:~/build/Gimp-2.0> perl Makefile.PL checking for gimp-2.0... no
checking for gcc... cc
checking for C compiler default output... a.out checking whether the C compiler works... yes checking whether we are cross compiling... no checking for suffix of executables... checking for suffix of object files... o checking whether we are using the GNU C compiler... yes checking whether cc accepts -g... yes checking for cc option to accept ANSI C... none needed checking for gimptool-2.0... /opt/gnome/bin/gimptool-2.0 checking for GIMP - version >= 2.0.0... yes checking for pkg-config... /usr/bin/pkg-config checking for GLIB - version >= 2.0.0... yes (version 2.4.6) checking for pkg-config... (cached) /usr/bin/pkg-config checking for GTK+ - version >= 2.0.0... yes (version 2.4.9) checking how to run the C preprocessor... cc -E checking for egrep... grep -E
checking for ANSI C header files... yes checking for sys/types.h... yes
checking for sys/stat.h... yes
checking for stdlib.h... yes
checking for string.h... yes
checking for memory.h... yes
checking for strings.h... yes
checking for inttypes.h... yes
checking for stdint.h... yes
checking for unistd.h... yes
checking libgimp/gimpmodule.h usability... no checking libgimp/gimpmodule.h presence... yes configure: WARNING: libgimp/gimpmodule.h: present but cannot be compiled configure: WARNING: libgimp/gimpmodule.h: check for missing prerequisite headers?
configure: WARNING: libgimp/gimpmodule.h: proceeding with the preprocessor's result
configure: WARNING: ## ------------------------------------ ## configure: WARNING: ## Report this to bug-autoconf@gnu.org. ## configure: WARNING: ## ------------------------------------ ## checking for libgimp/gimpmodule.h... yes checking libintl.h usability... yes
checking libintl.h presence... yes
checking for libintl.h... yes
checking for unistd.h... (cached) yes checking for vsnprintf... yes
checking for intelligent life... found a cat in your bin checking for _exit... yes
configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: creating config.pl
config.status: creating config.h
now invoking perl to complete the configuration...

WARNING: unable to use PDL (the perl data language). This means that normal pixel access is non-functional. Unless you plan to use Tile/PixelRgn functions together with PDL, this is harmless. The plug-ins using PDL, however, will NOT WORK and you can NO LONGER install PDL later. You can get PDL from any CPAN mirror.

checking for PDL support... no

NOTICE: unable to use the Perl-Gtk2 interface. Many features (like Gimp::Fu) rely on this extension. You can build without it (and many scripts will be disabled or run with reduced functionality only), but it's better to install it. If you do install it, version 1.0 or higher is required; you can get it from http://gtk2-perl.sourceforge.net/ or any CPAN mirror.

writing Gimp/Config.pm... ok Checking if your kit is complete...
Looks good
Warning: prerequisite Gtk2 1 not found. Warning: prerequisite PDL 1.99 not found. use'ing Gimp::PDL is no longer necessary, please remove it! Writing Makefile for Gimp::Lib
Writing Makefile for Gimp::Net
ERROR from evaluation of /home/rikjoh/build/Gimp-2.0/UI/Makefile.PL: Can't locate ExtUtils/Depends.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.5/i586-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.5 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.5/i586-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.5 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.5/i586-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.5 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl .) at ./Makefile.PL line 2.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at ./Makefile.PL line 2.

What puzzles me is: "WARNING: unable to use PDL (the perl data language) ... You can get PDL from any CPAN mirror."
and
"use'ing Gimp::PDL is no longer necessary, please remove it!"

That is a very odd conflict of directives!

I am getting a wee bit fed up with trying to compile all this. The prospect of getting into PS just to get the things i want to use seems closer and closer.

Gimp seems to be a VERY difficult piece of software to get going from scratch if you are a dabbling neewbie in compiling/programming Far to many depends that arent clearly stated. I need gazillion libs installed and zonks of perl utils to even THINK of starting a compilation.
And frankly.. It suck!

Owen
2005-05-25 00:38:22 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

On Tue, 24 May 2005 22:08:16 +0200 Rikard Johnels wrote:

ERROR from evaluation of /home/rikjoh/build/Gimp-2.0/UI/Makefile.PL: Can't locate ExtUtils/Depends.pm in @INC (@INC

Looks like you dont have ExtUtils::Depends

Try installing that via cpan

Owen

Rikard Johnels
2005-05-25 01:47:52 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

On Wednesday 25 May 2005 01.19, Carol Spears wrote:

On Tue, May 24, 2005 at 11:59:46PM +0200, Rikard Johnels wrote:

So does the few script-fu i have installed. (ufraw, and a few panorama tools)

how about my apology for the state of the freesoftware and the free even though you bought it software?

carol

No need to apologize!
Usercommunity software like Gimp IS (inherently) not complete. But then again not all commercial ones are either :)

Gimp as it is is very nice. And maturing all the time. What bugs me is the "lack of ease" in compiling it. There aren't any clear lists of dependencies and prerequisites listed anywhere.
All you get is an error at either config or compile time. And not all of them are easy to resolve.

It would be so much easier if there was a small file or something, listing what libs and utils need to be installed to compile the software. I think that would cut a lot of the usual questions on the lists. The same "i cant compile" type questions keep creeping up. And most of them seem to be old or missing libs. A list of used ones would ease things up for us "dont have a clue" kind of ppl :)

Just my 2 cents...

Michael Schumacher
2005-05-25 10:18:36 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

Von: Rikard Johnels

Gimp seems to be a VERY difficult piece of software to get going from scratch if you are a dabbling neewbie in compiling/programming

Yes. If you want something easy, compile a hello.c...

Far to many depends that arent clearly stated.

Form Gimp-Perl's README:

"PREREQUISITES [...]
Gtk, the perl extension for gtk+2
http://gtk2-perl.sourceforge.net
[...]
PDL, the Perl Data Language
http://www.cpan.org/
[...]
"

I need gazillion libs installed and zonks of perl utils to even THINK of starting a compilation.

Yes. Your package manager will help you to get all of them easily, though (if you don't have a package manager of it fails to do this easily, your're using the wrong platform)

And frankly.. It suck!

I'll refuse to comment on this, because all the replies I can think of are insulting :)

HTH,
Michael