RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Save dialog: can I get some sort of history?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

12 of 12 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Save dialog: can I get some sort of history? Mikhail Ramendik 06 May 22:15
  Save dialog: can I get some sort of history? Sven Neumann 08 May 13:20
   Save dialog: can I get some sort of history? Owen 09 May 02:59
    Save dialog: can I get some sort of history? Olivier Ripoll 09 May 13:39
    Save dialog: can I get some sort of history? Sven Neumann 09 May 14:02
     Save dialog: can I get some sort of history? Mikhail Ramendik 10 May 12:30
      Save dialog: can I get some sort of history? Olivier Ripoll 11 May 11:02
Save dialog: can I get some sort of history? Mikhail Ramendik 07 May 11:54
  Save dialog: can I get some sort of history? Alexander Rabtchevich 08 May 16:53
  Save dialog: can I get some sort of history? Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris 09 May 03:15
   Save dialog: can I get some sort of history? Owen 10 May 00:01
Save dialog: can I get some sort of history? Michael Schumacher 11 May 12:58
Mikhail Ramendik
2005-05-06 22:15:14 UTC (about 19 years ago)

Hello,

I use the Gimp to take files from one directory (raw photos), process them, and save them into another directory (photos for sending/publishing/printing/etc).

Each time I save a photo, I have to navigate to the saving directory manually...

Is it possible to somehow have the Save dialog store this directory iin some form of history, so I could easily select it?

Mikhail Ramendik
2005-05-07 11:54:56 UTC (about 19 years ago)

(reposting as first letter apparently got lost)

Hello,

I use the Gimp to take files from one directory (raw photos), process them, and save them into another directory (photos for sending/publishing/printing/etc).

Each time I save a photo, I have to navigate to the saving directory manually...

Is it possible to somehow have the Save dialog store this directory iin some form of history, so I could easily select it?

Sven Neumann
2005-05-08 13:20:41 UTC (about 19 years ago)

Hi,

Mikhail Ramendik writes:

There's the bookmarks pane on the left. You can add your directory there for quick access.

Sven

Alexander Rabtchevich
2005-05-08 16:53:25 UTC (about 19 years ago)

In the file opening dialog press "Add" button when the desired directory is selected. Afterwards you can quickly access this directory.

Mikhail Ramendik wrote:

Owen
2005-05-09 02:59:36 UTC (about 19 years ago)

On Sun, 08 May 2005 13:20:41 +0200 Sven Neumann wrote:

There's the bookmarks pane on the left. You can add your directory there for quick access.

I am probably missing something.

Where is this bookmark pane?

If I do File->Save as I get a dialogue box which allows me to save in

Home Desktop
Filesystem
Mail?
or the directory where the image came from

The only way I can get to another directory is to navigate there, and navigate there every time.

Owen

Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris
2005-05-09 03:15:18 UTC (about 19 years ago)

On Saturday 07 May 2005 06:54, Mikhail Ramendik wrote:

(reposting as first letter apparently got lost)

Hello,

Hi,

In gimp 2.2 you can bookmark both directorys (clicking on the + button, at botton left), and navigate from one to the other with two clicks.

Olivier Ripoll
2005-05-09 13:39:41 UTC (about 19 years ago)

Owen wrote:

On Sun, 08 May 2005 13:20:41 +0200 Sven Neumann wrote:

Have a look at this (old) screenshot of the open dialog. http://developer.gimp.org/screenshots/gimp-open-dialog.png

The Save dialog is very similar (without the preview pane). The bookmarks are on the left, under the Home, Desktop, Filesystem ... icons. You see an horizontal line, and folders that are in realioty bookmarks to folders. You can add and remove bookmarks with the add and remove buttons (the are active whem a folder is selected).

Of course, the first time (when creating the bookmark) you need to click on the "Browse for other folders" cross to access this view.

Best regards,

Olivier.

If I do File->Save as I get a dialogue box which allows me to save in

Home Desktop
Filesystem
Mail?
or the directory where the image came from

The only way I can get to another directory is to navigate there, and navigate there every time.

Owen

Sven Neumann
2005-05-09 14:02:39 UTC (about 19 years ago)

Hi,

Owen writes:

Indeed.

It is left to the file-list. In the Save dialog, it is hidden in the "Browse for other folders" section but of course these bookmarks are shared between Open and Save dialogs (in all GTK+ applications).

Sven

Owen
2005-05-10 00:01:28 UTC (about 19 years ago)

On Sun, 8 May 2005 22:15:18 -0300 "Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris" wrote:

Hi,

In gimp 2.2 you can bookmark both directorys (clicking on the + button, at botton left), and navigate from one to the other with two clicks.

Doh...Couldn't see for looking, thanks very muxh.

Owen

Mikhail Ramendik
2005-05-10 12:30:48 UTC (about 19 years ago)

Sven Neumann wrote:

It is left to the file-list. In the Save dialog, it is hidden in the "Browse for other folders" section but of course these bookmarks are shared between Open and Save dialogs (in all GTK+ applications).

Could one somehow make the "browse for other folders" section open by default?

Olivier Ripoll
2005-05-11 11:02:03 UTC (about 19 years ago)

Mikhail Ramendik wrote:

Sven Neumann wrote:

I will probably say a stupid thing here, but I think it would go against the HIG (Human Interface Guidelines) of Gnome: http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gup/hig/2.0/principles-simplicity.html

Regards,

Olivier.

PS: (My personal opinion is that the HIG has to be changed and the options of filetype and location should be visible.)

Michael Schumacher
2005-05-11 12:58:47 UTC (about 19 years ago)

Olivier Ripoll wrote:

Mikhail Ramendik wrote:

I will probably say a stupid thing here, but I think it would go against the HIG (Human Interface Guidelines) of Gnome:

And? ;)

PS: (My personal opinion is that the HIG has to be changed and the

Yes - GIMP as one of the leading GTK+ apps should be able define some things of the HIG.

options of filetype and location should be visible.)

Folder yes, filetype no, at least if we're talking about default settings. Of course, the dialogs should be able to save the defaults, if the user wants it.

Filetype selection is an expert feature, the "By extension" is one of the best ways of using file extensions.

Michael