RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

configuration of a Wacom Intuos tablet

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

configuration of a Wacom Intuos tablet Olivier Lecarme 05 May 19:20
  configuration of a Wacom Intuos tablet Akkana Peck 09 May 19:28
Olivier Lecarme
2005-05-05 19:20:54 UTC (about 19 years ago)

I just bought a Wacom Intuos tablet, A5 format.

I had the good surprise to observe that, as soon as plugged into a USB port, the mouse and the pen were recognized by the system (Debian Sid) and operational.

I installed the wacom driver, and described the tablet in my XF86config-4 file, in a way similar to what is described in http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Wacom-Tablet-HOWTO-5.html#ss5.10

I also used the short page by Carol Spears (http://carol.gimp.org/gimp2/basics/gui/preferences/inputdevices.html), and my tablet is now recognized by Gimp (2.2), with the three devices (stylus, eraser, and mouse).

However, I cannot manage to have a different behavior for these three devices. In the Devices dialog, only the "Core Pointer" entry seems to be active (with a triangle in front of it). In the dialog get from Toolbox -> Files -> Preferences -> Input Devices, I don't understand what is the meaning of "Axes", "Keys", and all these numbers. The tutorial by Carol Spears stops just before describing this. The Gimp user manual does not describe this at all.

Who could help me? If I can manage to understand the whole thing, I could write the corresponding section in the User manual.

By the way, the use of the extra keys and pads of the tablet, as well as of the extra buttons of the mouse, is not described anywhere, it seems. It would be a pity to not be able to use them, since they clearly have some ergonomic value.

Thanks in advance for any useful advice.

Akkana Peck
2005-05-09 19:28:09 UTC (about 19 years ago)

Olivier Lecarme writes:

I just bought a Wacom Intuos tablet, A5 format.

[ ... ]

and my tablet is now recognized by Gimp (2.2), with the three devices (stylus, eraser, and mouse).

However, I cannot manage to have a different behavior for these three devices. In the Devices dialog, only the "Core Pointer" entry seems to be active (with a triangle in front of it). In the dialog get from Toolbox -> Files -> Preferences -> Input Devices, I don't understand what is the meaning of "Axes", "Keys", and all these numbers. The tutorial by Carol Spears stops just before describing this. The Gimp user manual does not describe this at all.

I had exactly this problem for a long time with my Graphire 2. The wacdump program showed the kernel was reading the events properly, but somehow they weren't making it through X to gtk and GIMP.

Yesterday, thanks to a very helpful person on IRC (thanks, Keir, if you're reading this) I got all the pieces working together and my Graphire works again.

I wrote up the setup which eventually worked, and some tips I've picked up: http://shallowsky.com/linux/wacom.html

Perhaps something there will help with your Intuos. Good luck!

...Akkana