RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Batch converter for web optmisation

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

14 of 14 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Batch converter for web optmisation Stefan Frings 01 May 19:46
  Batch converter for web optmisation jim feldman 01 May 22:04
  Batch converter for web optmisation Carol Spears 01 May 22:09
   Batch converter for web optmisation Stefan Frings 02 May 07:25
    Batch converter for web optmisation Carol Spears 02 May 09:22
     Batch converter for web optmisation Stefan Frings 02 May 21:52
      Batch converter for web optmisation Carol Spears 03 May 02:36
       Batch converter for web optmisation Richard C. Steffens 03 May 03:10
        Batch converter for web optmisation Carol Spears 03 May 06:06
  Batch converter for web optmisation Owen 02 May 00:35
   Batch converter for web optmisation Stefan Frings 02 May 21:59
  Batch converter for web optmisation Sven Neumann 02 May 21:45
  Batch converter for web optmisation Daniel Yek 03 May 09:07
  Batch converter for web optmisation wayne 03 May 20:27
Stefan Frings
2005-05-01 19:46:44 UTC (about 19 years ago)

Hello,

I like to optimize more than 100 photos (jpeg, 640x480) for web publishing. I noticed thet the files are much smaller when I simply load and overwrite them with gimp with very minor loss of quality.

I woul dlike to do this with all my pictures in an automatic batch job. Ho can I do this?

If there is another nice Linux program, then this would also be ok for me but I assume that Gimp can do it - I assume that Gimp can do everything:-)

jim feldman
2005-05-01 22:04:41 UTC (about 19 years ago)

Quoting Stefan Frings :

Hello,

I like to optimize more than 100 photos (jpeg, 640x480) for web

publishing.

I would like to do this with all my pictures in an automatic batch job. Ho can
I do this?

If there is another nice Linux program, then this would also be ok

GIMP is very good at lots of things, but ImageMagick "convert" is what you want.

---------------------------------------------------------------- This message was sent using IMP, the Internet Messaging Program.

Carol Spears
2005-05-01 22:09:48 UTC (about 19 years ago)

On Sun, May 01, 2005 at 07:46:44PM +0200, Stefan Frings wrote:

Hello,

I like to optimize more than 100 photos (jpeg, 640x480) for web publishing. I noticed thet the files are much smaller when I simply load and overwrite them with gimp with very minor loss of quality.

I woul dlike to do this with all my pictures in an automatic batch job. Ho can I do this?

If there is another nice Linux program, then this would also be ok for me but I assume that Gimp can do it - I assume that Gimp can do everything:-)

while there is no one button or process that is included with gimp that will accomplish this task, the question is often asked and the information to answer it should be easy to find.

what i would like to do is to help you with your search words. the answers really should be appearing right now quickly when you start to look for yourself.

can you tell me the ways you look for information online and we can work through the reason that it was difficult to find it?

carol

Owen
2005-05-02 00:35:18 UTC (about 19 years ago)

On Sun, 1 May 2005 19:46:44 +0200 Stefan Frings wrote:

Hello,

If you have imagemagick, you can do something like this

#!/bin/bash for img in `ls *.jpg`
do
convert -sample 25%x25% $img thumb-$img done

but read man convert as there are many options

Owen

Stefan Frings
2005-05-02 07:25:23 UTC (about 19 years ago)

can you tell me the ways you look for information online and we can work through the reason that it was difficult to find it?

I searched in google and freshmeat.net for "batch image" "batch photo" "jpeg converter" "batch converter" without success. Somebody wrote that ImageMagick is what I need. I will give it a try

Carol Spears
2005-05-02 09:22:09 UTC (about 19 years ago)

On Mon, May 02, 2005 at 07:25:23AM +0200, Stefan Frings wrote:

I searched in google and freshmeat.net for "batch image" "batch photo" "jpeg converter" "batch converter" without success. Somebody wrote that ImageMagick is what I need. I will give it a try

when you searched the gimp-user list you used the words gimp and linux. give a search engine the same words.

i know that gimp is a free and therefore unpopular and perhaps dangerous application; however, it would be nice to think that eventually the search engines could find it.

good luck with your images, carol

Sven Neumann
2005-05-02 21:45:18 UTC (about 19 years ago)

Hi,

Stefan Frings writes:

http://gimp.org/tutorials/Basic_Batch/

Sven

Stefan Frings
2005-05-02 21:52:30 UTC (about 19 years ago)

when you searched the gimp-user list

That did not work. There was a technical issue with the archive yesterday.

Stefan Frings
2005-05-02 21:59:52 UTC (about 19 years ago)

convert -quality 80 $sourcefile $sourcefile-new.jpg

did the job fine for me. Thanks for helping and for allowing the off-topic answer here.

Carol Spears
2005-05-03 02:36:22 UTC (about 19 years ago)

On Mon, May 02, 2005 at 09:52:30PM +0200, Stefan Frings wrote:

when you searched the gimp-user list

That did not work. There was a technical issue with the archive yesterday.

the mail archives is a problem.

many of us writing tutorials are curious what using the words "gimp linux batch" in any search engine does for you.

for some reason, one or more of them either are not being used or do not send back results about image software.

can you try that for me? put the words "gimp batch" into any search engine and see what the results are.

it should happen one day or another that the search engines will provide information from contributors. we have a disadvantage since we do not pay for position. it just seems to me that this should be showing up one day soon.

tell me the results you get and the engine you used. search the web, i think there is more than just the one tutorial that is available on the gimp web site.

carol

Richard C. Steffens
2005-05-03 03:10:08 UTC (about 19 years ago)

On Monday 02 May 2005 5:36 pm, Carol Spears wrote:

many of us writing tutorials are curious what using the words "gimp linux batch" in any search engine does for you.

In Oregon, USA (I don't know if that really matters), Google gives me 74,100 hits, starting with:

http://linux.about.com/library/cmd/blcmdl1_gimp.htm

Fourth on the list is:

http://www.gimp.org/tutorials/

Yahoo gives me 80,400 hits, starting with:

Ask Jeeves gives me 16,400 hits, starting with:

http://gimp.linux.it/www/the_gimp_about.html

The gimp.org/tutorials site did not show up on Ask Jeeves in the first 50 hits.

Carol Spears
2005-05-03 06:06:03 UTC (about 19 years ago)

On Mon, May 02, 2005 at 06:10:08PM -0700, Richard C. Steffens wrote:

On Monday 02 May 2005 5:36 pm, Carol Spears wrote:

In Oregon, USA (I don't know if that really matters), Google gives me 74,100 hits, starting with:

yes, it is difficult to say what makes a search engine respond. i saw two computers in the same house, both using google with the default moderately safe search option. i cannot remember the search term but the first hit in my mozilla displayed search was different than the first hit in the internet explorer display.

it was michigan and i think there was snow on the ground. in case this matters.

http://linux.about.com/library/cmd/blcmdl1_gimp.htm

Fourth on the list is:

Yahoo gives me 80,400 hits, starting with:

Ask Jeeves gives me 16,400 hits, starting with:

http://gimp.linux.it/www/the_gimp_about.html

The gimp.org/tutorials site did not show up on Ask Jeeves in the first 50 hits.

it looks like we do fairly well on your browser and mine on all except the extremely safe web searches.

to be considered so safe and to still have such a terrible name -- it is humbling that we are there at all.

i think that by the time ask jeeves considers gimp to be safe, gimp will have surely jumped the shark.

batch processing with gimp is cool. thanks for the fun :)

carol

Daniel Yek
2005-05-03 09:07:13 UTC (about 19 years ago)

On Sun, 2005-05-01 at 19:46 +0200, Stefan Frings wrote:

Hello,

photos for web publishing. I noticed thet the files are much smaller when I simply load and overwrite them with gimp

I would like to do this with all my pictures in an automatic batch job.

If there is another nice Linux program,

Not really to optimize the file size, but gthumb (FC3/ApplicationsMenu/Graphics/PhotoTools) can publish selected photos as web album - start gthumb, select a set of photos, click ToolsMenu/CreateWebAlbum - very easy.

wayne
2005-05-03 20:27:09 UTC (about 19 years ago)

On Sunday 01 May 2005 07:46 am, Stefan Frings wrote:

Hello,

Take a look at Digikam:
http://digikam.sourceforge.net/Digikam-SPIP/rubrique.php3?id_rubrique=6

It can handle batch processes, though perhaps not as fast as a command line program.

Wayne