RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Gimp-user Digest, Vol 32, Issue 15

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

20050427190033.7F8F213EE6@l... 07 Oct 20:17
  Gimp-user Digest, Vol 31, Issue 32 Asif Lodhi 01 May 06:26
20050509083949.38BEF11CCB@l... 07 Oct 20:17
  Gimp-user Digest, Vol 32, Issue 15 Asif Lodhi 10 May 23:25
Asif Lodhi
2005-05-01 06:26:53 UTC (about 19 years ago)

Gimp-user Digest, Vol 31, Issue 32

Hi Jason

I am replying rather late. However, I was clarifying PDF1.4 and RGB transparency issues on another list :) Olivier was right. Putting it correctly. The issue is not with PDF but with Acrobat Reader. If you embedded RGB images in PDF (PDF version 1.4) and those RGB images have transparency effects as well then that PDF won't display images properly in Acrobat reader (7 probably). Acrobat Reader 5.0.5 on Linux will display the PDF correctly. So whatever PDF library you are using, you have to determine which PDF format version the library is writing the PDFs in. If it is PDF 1.4 then, as I said earlier, PDF 1.4 format is not displayed very well on Acrobat Reader if the PDF has RGB images with transparency effects. So I think, as Olivier said earlier, you should eliminate transparency from your images and try creating PDFs using PDF format version 1.3 (that doesn't support transparency).

ANTI-ALIASING
=============
I assume that the images you are trying to embed have some flat-color (all white, all black, that is) background. Even if you don't have a flat background in your images, try selecting your area of interest in the image file you are working in. When you have a selection ready then GROW the selection a bit (by how many pixels? you will have to experiment), for example by 5 pixels, and then save that selection to channel. Secondly, shrink the selection (you will have to experiment as to how many pixels will be OK when shrinking) to inside the edge of the picture by 5 pixels (or whatever number of pixels suits you - you will have to experiment) and bring the selection that you saved to the channel back on (add the selection that you saved to the channel). Now you will have two selections with a very thin gap between them - the unselected area. Now INVERT the selection. That will select the area which was previously unselected - that is, the think gap. Inverting the selection will most likely select the other area on the image that you don't want to select - you will have to eliminate that extraneous selection through quick-masking or something, anyway. When you finally have the "thin-gap" cleanly selected then apply Gaussian blur (or other blur filters of your choice that can better eliminate the zig-zag edges), flatten your image, try importing the final image to PDF1.3 and view it in the latest Acrobat version (7 AFAIK). Further, try using Scribus (http://www.scribus.net) as Scribus has the best PDF import/export support and it is opensource and runs on Linux.

HTH

Asif

Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 06:28:10 -0400 From: Jason Jesso
To: gimp-user@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Re: anti-aliasing Message-ID:
In-Reply-To:
Precedence: list

I am using "pdflib" which supports all flavors of PNG.

I am getting staircasing effect on the image.

On April 27, 2005 03:59 am, Olivier Ripoll wrote: JASON JESSO wrote:

I have an image that looks ok in gimp, but when I import it in a PDF document I get a staircase effect.

How do I smooth the edges in gimp?

Hi,

When you say you import it into a pdf document, could you detail the process ? In particular, what intermediary file format do you use ? In the (distant) past, pdf could not handle well transparency (IIRC), so it could be something related to alpha channel. Try to "flatten" the image before exporting from gimp.

Sincerely,

Olivier.

Asif Lodhi
2005-05-10 23:25:21 UTC (about 19 years ago)

Gimp-user Digest, Vol 32, Issue 15

Hi

Don't you think it would be good idea to slightly change the color of the selection tools' icons in order to show a selection-outline-toggle-off status and bring them back to the normal color if the selection outline is toggled on.

My two cents.

Best regards

Asif

Date: Mon, 09 May 2005 00:41:32 +0200 From: Sven Neumann
To: gimp-user@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Re: when even free advertising fails

Message-ID:

In-Reply-To: (Akkana Peck's message

I see the point of displaying the status of the selection but I don't think the statusbar will do for this. The statusbar is supposed to be used for context-sensitive information. GIMP 2.4 will also make a lot more use of the statusbar for displaying hints. I don't see how a Vstatic information such as "The selection outline is toggle off" would

fit here. A toggle button similar to the quickmask toggle would

perhaps do the trick. But then there are a bunch of such toggles in the view...