RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

drawing in the alpha channel?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

drawing in the alpha channel? lode.leroy@advalvas.be 05 Apr 09:00
  drawing in the alpha channel? Carol Spears 05 Apr 09:29
   drawing in the alpha channel? lode.leroy@advalvas.be 05 Apr 10:37
    drawing in the alpha channel? Jakub Steiner 07 Apr 22:28
lode.leroy@advalvas.be
2005-04-05 09:00:45 UTC (about 19 years ago)

Hi folks,

I wonder how I can put things in the alpha channel... I want to take an image (eg. screenshot) and paint partial transparency into the resulting image.

I found out that I can do "Layer -> Add Mask", then paint (eg using gradients, with "multiply" ) and then do "Layer -> Apply Mask" which gives me the desired /visual/ result, but I would like to apply the mask to the /alpha/ channel and not to the /r/g/b/ channels.

How would I do this?

-- lode

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Plaats je zoekertjes GRATIS op AdValvas Placez votre petite annonce GRATUITEMENT sur AdValvas http://www.advalvas.be

Carol Spears
2005-04-05 09:29:21 UTC (about 19 years ago)

On Tue, Apr 05, 2005 at 09:00:45AM +0200, lode.leroy@advalvas.be wrote:

Hi folks,

I wonder how I can put things in the alpha channel... I want to take an image (eg. screenshot) and paint partial transparency into the resulting image.

if you are using a screenshot, first Layers -->Transparency -->Add Alpha Channel.

after that, i suggest working with the eraser directly on the image to see if that can do what you would like. you can adjust the transparency in the tool options.

I found out that I can do "Layer -> Add Mask", then paint (eg using gradients, with "multiply" ) and then do "Layer -> Apply Mask" which gives me the desired /visual/ result, but I would like to apply the mask to the /alpha/ channel and not to the /r/g/b/ channels.

How would I do this?

where the layer mask is white, there is no transparency. where it is black it is transparent. gray produces semi transparency. try by adding a white layer mask, select an area on it and fill that with black. paint a black to white gradient on the mask and it will be transparent to opague according to how you painted the gradient.

carol

lode.leroy@advalvas.be
2005-04-05 10:37:31 UTC (about 19 years ago)

How would I do this?

where the layer mask is white, there is no transparency. where it is black it is transparent. gray produces semi transparency. try by adding a white layer mask, select an area on it and fill that with black. paint a black to white gradient on the mask and it will be transparent to opague according to how you painted the gradient.

carol

The erasor does indeed draw into the alpha channel... With the 'layer mask' I can indeed to the transparency, but I do not see how I can get it into the alpha channel...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Plaats je zoekertjes GRATIS op AdValvas Placez votre petite annonce GRATUITEMENT sur AdValvas http://www.advalvas.be

Jakub Steiner
2005-04-07 22:28:42 UTC (about 19 years ago)

On Tue, 2005-04-05 at 10:37 +0200, lode.leroy@advalvas.be wrote:

With the 'layer mask' I can indeed to the transparency, but I do not see how I can get it into the alpha channel...

Apply the layer mask when you're done with layer>mask>apply layer mask.

cheers