RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

tile-cache "leak"?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

tile-cache "leak"? Alex Mayrhofer 05 Apr 08:55
  tile-cache "leak"? Sven Neumann 05 Apr 21:17
   tile-cache "leak"? Alex Mayrhofer 05 Apr 22:47
    tile-cache "leak"? Sven Neumann 05 Apr 23:28
Alex Mayrhofer
2005-04-05 08:55:11 UTC (about 19 years ago)

tile-cache "leak"?

I'm using Gimp (2.2.3) and Perl Gimp to render/paint images automatically on my website (with gimp running on a Xvfb display without an interface). That works pretty well, but i notice that Gimp's memory footprint grows in line with the number of images i did create. Images are properly returned, and don't show up in Gimp's image list after they're done (and returned from the script).

Additionally, i'm trying to clean up stale images regularly with a script like:

@array = Gimp::gimp_image_list(); while ($img = shift(@array)) { print "Deleting Image: $img\n"; Gimp::gimp_image_delete($img); $delcount++;
}

which seems to work for images where the script died while rendering (reports about 1 or 2 images after having created about 500 - 1000 images in a session). However, gimp's memory footprint still continues to grow without the script above reporting any open images, and i have to restart gimp every few hundred images to reduce it's memory usage.

The script-fu and Perl-Server footprints are fine - they're not growing at all.

So, are my scripts buggy and leaking some (which?) kinds of resources? Are there any other methods to expire stale objects ("zombie" drawables not associated to any image - is this possible?) or is Gimp / it's plugins itself leaking? Does anybody else experience this?

Any advice appreciated.

cheers

Alex Mayrhofer

Sven Neumann
2005-04-05 21:17:12 UTC (about 19 years ago)

tile-cache "leak"?

Hi,

Alex Mayrhofer writes:

I'm using Gimp (2.2.3) and Perl Gimp to render/paint images automatically on my website (with gimp running on a Xvfb display without an interface).

Why are you using Xvfb? There's absolutely no reason to do that.

That works pretty well, but i notice that Gimp's memory footprint grows in line with the number of images i did create. Images are properly returned, and don't show up in Gimp's image list after they're done (and returned from the script).

We have run GIMP in memory profilers to eliminate memory leaks but of course we might have missed something. Your best bet is to run a valgrind session with --leak-check=yes --num-callers=12 and show us the result.

Sven

Alex Mayrhofer
2005-04-05 22:47:57 UTC (about 19 years ago)

tile-cache "leak"?

Sven Neumann wrote:

hmm... i've started with gimp 1.2, and back then, i think it did need a X server to aquire fonts, if i remember it correctly. So, i'll call it a legacy...

We have run GIMP in memory profilers to eliminate memory leaks but of course we might have missed something. Your best bet is to run a valgrind session with --leak-check=yes --num-callers=12 and show us the result.

Ok, i'll do that when the box is not too busy.

thanks so far.

axelm

Sven Neumann
2005-04-05 23:28:05 UTC (about 19 years ago)

tile-cache "leak"?

Hi,

Alex Mayrhofer writes:

hmm... i've started with gimp 1.2, and back then, i think it did need a X server to aquire fonts, if i remember it correctly. So, i'll call it a legacy...

If you compile gimp 2.2 with the --enable-gimp-console configure option, the resulting gimp-console-2.2 binary will not even link GTK+ (and thus X11 any longer).

Sven