RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Gimp very slow loading extension_script_fu!

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Gimp very slow loading extension_script_fu! Neo Anderson 23 Mar 17:09
  Gimp very slow loading extension_script_fu! Alan Horkan 23 Mar 22:19
   Gimp very slow loading extension_script_fu! Sven Neumann 24 Mar 23:13
    Gimp very slow loading extension_script_fu! Neo Anderson 28 Feb 11:23
Neo Anderson
2005-02-28 11:23:43 UTC (about 19 years ago)

Thanks all for replying. I can live with it. But I do hope it can get better in future releases.

Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

Alan Horkan writes:

I have a small problem here. Every time I start Gimp, the splash screen would freeze a minute or more showing 'loading extension_script_fu'.

It can sometimes take a while to load, there are a lot of plugins and extensions to be loaded.

Plug-ins are only loaded (started and queried) if they are not cached from the last startup. Checking the plug-in executables should not take longer than a few seconds except on the first start.

Loading the Script-Fu extension takes a considerable amount of time but it should be definitely less than a minute.

I usually run the gimp with options not to load all the extensions (although this can sometimes have annoying side effects when extensions expect everything to be preloaded).

Your command-line doesn't keep extensions from being started, you only disable loading of data (which will be loaded anyway later) and fonts (text tool won't work).

You can do this too by using the following command line arguements:

gimp --no-data --no-splash --no-fonts

Sven

Neo Anderson
2005-03-23 17:09:48 UTC (about 19 years ago)

Hi! I am new.

I have Fedora Core 3 and Gimp 2.24. I have a small problem here. Every time I start Gimp, the splash screen would freeze a minute or more showing 'loading extension_script_fu'. Do others have same experience or do I need to do someting on my computer?

Thanks.

Alan Horkan
2005-03-23 22:19:40 UTC (about 19 years ago)

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005, Neo Anderson wrote:

Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 11:09:48 -0500 From: Neo Anderson
To: gimp-user@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu Subject: [Gimp-user] Gimp very slow loading extension_script_fu!

Hi! I am new.

I have Fedora Core 3 and Gimp 2.24.

I have a small problem here. Every time I start Gimp, the splash screen would freeze a minute or more showing 'loading extension_script_fu'.

It can sometimes take a while to load, there are a lot of plugins and extensions to be loaded.

Do others have same experience or do I need to do someting on my computer?

I usually run the gimp with options not to load all the extensions (although this can sometimes have annoying side effects when extensions expect everything to be preloaded).

Give it a try and decide if it works well enough for you. I find the improvement in startup speed very helpful and worth any minor inconveniences but your mileage may vary.

Sincerely

Alan Horkan http://advogato.org/person/AlanHorkan/

Sven Neumann
2005-03-24 23:13:19 UTC (about 19 years ago)

Hi,

Alan Horkan writes:

Plug-ins are only loaded (started and queried) if they are not cached from the last startup. Checking the plug-in executables should not take longer than a few seconds except on the first start.

Loading the Script-Fu extension takes a considerable amount of time but it should be definitely less than a minute.

Your command-line doesn't keep extensions from being started, you only disable loading of data (which will be loaded anyway later) and fonts (text tool won't work).

Sven