RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

X an Y resolution

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

X an Y resolution cedric 23 Mar 01:00
  X an Y resolution Malcolm Tredinnick 23 Mar 01:17
   X an Y resolution Jeffrey Brent McBeth 23 Mar 01:56
   X an Y resolution Sven Neumann 24 Mar 23:14
cedric
2005-03-23 01:00:50 UTC (about 19 years ago)

X an Y resolution

When creating a new document, we have two fields. I've always used the same value but if they are 2 it is certainly because there is one. So does anybody know in what cases X and Y should be different ? cedric

Malcolm Tredinnick
2005-03-23 01:17:51 UTC (about 19 years ago)

X an Y resolution

On Wed, 2005-03-23 at 01:00 +0100, cedric wrote:

When creating a new document, we have two fields. I've always used the same value but if they are 2 it is certainly because there is one. So does anybody know in what cases X and Y should be different ?

Think about printable media (not just images for the screen). There are many printers that can print at different densities in the horizontal and vertical direction (e.g. 720 x 1440 dpi or 1440 x 2880) as there highest dot density. So if you were trying to work precisly, pixel-for- pixel, you might want to set the resolutions appropriately.

Cheers, Malcolm

Jeffrey Brent McBeth
2005-03-23 01:56:44 UTC (about 19 years ago)

X an Y resolution

On Wed, Mar 23, 2005 at 11:17:51AM +1100, Malcolm Tredinnick wrote:

When creating a new document, we have two fields. I've always used the same value but if they are 2 it is certainly because there is one. So does anybody know in what cases X and Y should be different ?

Think about printable media (not just images for the screen). There are many printers that can print at different densities in the horizontal and vertical direction (e.g. 720 x 1440 dpi or 1440 x 2880) as there highest dot density. So if you were trying to work precisly, pixel-for- pixel, you might want to set the resolutions appropriately.

Another simple case is after deinterlacing an image, the y pixel density will be half of what it was before, while x stays the same.

In fact, it is very rare for monitors/LCD panels/CCD cameras/etc to really have square pixels. Pretending it is square may be close enough for the purposes of the Web, but for print media, medical equipment (my work), GIS (my old work) and other endeavours, x density = y density is inadequate and incorrect. In fact, even linear mapping is often insufficient. (I've had to use some pretty wild transforms in the course of work on images)

Jeff

Sven Neumann
2005-03-24 23:14:50 UTC (about 19 years ago)

X an Y resolution

Hi,

Malcolm Tredinnick writes:

Right. Game and screen design is an another use case.

Sven