RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

PNG and transparency

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

PNG and transparency Johannes Reese 16 Mar 09:08
  PNG and transparency Øyvind Kolås 16 Mar 09:31
Johannes Reese
2005-03-16 09:08:35 UTC (about 19 years ago)

PNG and transparency

Hi all,

what determines if pressing the wipe-out button or pressing CTRL-x extinguishes to either the background color or to transparency? I thought the type of file would. But some png-files I opened behaved so that CTRL-x of a selected area makes the deleted stuff transparent (which I want), while with others all I can reach is substituting the selected area by the background color. How can I force those files to delete to transparency?

Regards,

Johannes

Øyvind Kolås
2005-03-16 09:31:56 UTC (about 19 years ago)

PNG and transparency

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 09:08:35 +0100, Johannes Reese wrote: while with

others all I can reach is substituting the selected area by the background color. How can I force those files to delete to transparency?

You must make sure the image is in RGB mode (the titlebar should indicate this). If it's not the menu item "Image/Mode/RGB" . Next you must make sure that the background layer has an alpha channel, if it hasn't you can add one with the menu item "Layer/Transparency/Add alpha channel".

/pippin