RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Pressure to Size Dynamic Won't Work

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Pressure to Size Dynamic Won't Work flightymouse 22 May 17:50
  Pressure to Size Dynamic Won't Work Richard 23 May 01:10
   Pressure to Size Dynamic Won't Work flightymouse 23 May 15:42
2018-05-22 17:50:50 UTC (almost 6 years ago)
postings

Hi all! I'm having a problem getting GIMP to use the pressure=size pen dynamic. I set up a new dynamic (and made sure that dynamic was active) and clicked the box where pressure and size intersect, but it does nothing. So I experimented with other options.

It recognizes pressure for other options (pressure can affect color, opacity, spacing...).

It recognizes size for other options (size can be affected by velocity, direction...).

But what I want is pressure=size, and that combination does nothing.

I have an XP-Pen Artist 10S tablet, Windows 10, and am running GIMP 2.10. DirectX is in the active column under input controllers and updated. Under input devices, I have "screen" selected for both core pointer and tablet, and I have restarted GIMP since changing settings (just addressing some of the troubleshooting stuff I've already tried so you know where I'm at).

Thanks so much to anyone who can help me out here!

Richard
2018-05-23 01:10:18 UTC (almost 6 years ago)

What version of GIMP, for the record?

The interesting detail I see here is the Pressure option working with dynamics OTHER THAN tool size. Were the tablet pen not working at all you'd expect everything associated with pen pressure to be not functioning, right?

Hmm ... try going to your Dynamics Editor and change the display from "Mapping matrix" to "Size"; check that you have a reasonable mapping curve between input and output. (Though if this were the problem then NO input mapped to Size should be having any effect, right?)

-- Stratadrake strata_ranger@hotmail.com
--------------------
Numbers may not lie, but neither do they tell the whole truth.

Sent: Tuesday, May 22, 2018 10:50:50 AM
To: gimp-user-list@gnome.org
Cc: notifications@gimpusers.com
Subject: [Gimp-user] Pressure to Size Dynamic Won't Work

Hi all! I'm having a problem getting GIMP to use the pressure=size pen dynamic.
I set up a new dynamic (and made sure that dynamic was active) and clicked the
box where pressure and size intersect, but it does nothing. So I experimented
with other options.

It recognizes pressure for other options (pressure can affect color, opacity,
spacing...).

It recognizes size for other options (size can be affected by velocity,
direction...).

But what I want is pressure=size, and that combination does nothing.

I have an XP-Pen Artist 10S tablet, Windows 10, and am running GIMP 2.10.
DirectX is in the active column under input controllers and updated. Under input
devices, I have "screen" selected for both core pointer and tablet, and I have
restarted GIMP since changing settings (just addressing some of the
troubleshooting stuff I've already tried so you know where I'm at).

Thanks so much to anyone who can help me out here!

--
flightymouse (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)
2018-05-23 15:42:14 UTC (almost 6 years ago)
postings

Well how about that. That worked!

I tried that a few days ago and it didn't make any difference. I remember it being in the default position (a straight, diagonal line from the bottom left to the top right) and dragging it around to other places, none of which had any effect. When I opened it today, the line was flat across the bottom. That must be where I'd left it when I was experimenting. Moving it back to the default position fixed my problem.

Looks like there are separate curves for all different combinations of input/effect, which explains why other things were able to affect size. My guess is that some other setting had been affecting my ability to use the pen dynamics, and I changed that setting AFTER leaving the mapping curve for pressure/size flat across the bottom, so that only pressure/size failed to work. D'oh!

Thank you so much. I don't know if I ever would've figured that out!

What version of GIMP, for the record?

The interesting detail I see here is the Pressure option working with dynamics OTHER THAN tool size. Were the tablet pen not working at all you'd expect everything associated with pen pressure to be not functioning, right?

Hmm ... try going to your Dynamics Editor and change the display from "Mapping matrix" to "Size"; check that you have a reasonable mapping curve between input and output. (Though if this were the problem then NO input mapped to Size should be having any effect, right?)

-- Stratadrake strata_ranger@hotmail.com
--------------------
Numbers may not lie, but neither do they tell the whole truth.