RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Update: 2.10.0 now opens.

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

7 of 7 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Update: 2.10.0 now opens. Rick Strong 01 May 04:02
  Update: 2.10.0 now opens. Alexandre Prokoudine 01 May 11:09
   Update: 2.10.0 now opens. Julien Hardelin 01 May 12:53
    Update: 2.10.0 now opens. Steve Kinney 01 May 16:37
    Update: 2.10.0 now opens. Marco Ciampa 01 May 17:18
     Update: 2.10.0 now opens. Julien Hardelin 01 May 19:39
    Update: 2.10.0 now opens. Kevin Cozens 01 May 21:46
Rick Strong
2018-05-01 04:02:30 UTC (almost 6 years ago)

I got v 2.10.0-x64 (Win 7) going and it seems to be holding. - I made sure GIMP 2 was uninstalled. - Deleted Wilber icons.
- Deleted two download packages, the first one and the second replacement (1).
- I re-downloaded the 2.10.0-x64 Win installer using the orange button on the GIMP Org site, which apparently uses a mirror site. Last time I had downloaded "directly".
- Installed to a new folder, not the old GIMP 2 folder. - My photographs load much faster compared to the original 2.10.0 version I had going for a short while before it packed up yesterday. - Fingers crossed that it keeps working.

Q. Why is the Help file for v 2.10.0 called 2.8? How up to date is that? Is there a v 2.10.0 Help file in the works? Just wondering.

Regards to all, Rick S.

-----Original Message----- From: Rick Strong
Sent: Sunday, April 29, 2018 8:57 PM To: GIMP User List
Subject: [Gimp-user] 2.10.0 not starting: can’t see “libgimpcolor-2.0-0.dll

I have downloaded GIMP 2.10.0 (Win 7-64) and it started up once using the Color 32 icon theme. I set my preferences played around with it for an hour, the last tool being gradients.

Once I closed it down it no longer would open again. It apparently can’t see “libgimpcolor-2.0-0.dll”, which is there in the bin folder. I did a re-install but no dice. I think others have had the same problem.

I have a copy of all the bug data but I can’t get on bugzilla. Any thoughts?

Rick S.

Alexandre Prokoudine
2018-05-01 11:09:54 UTC (almost 6 years ago)

On Tue, May 1, 2018 at 7:02 AM, Rick Strong wrote:

Q. Why is the Help file for v 2.10.0 called 2.8? How up to date is that? Is there a v 2.10.0 Help file in the works? Just wondering.

The user manual project is kinda separate from gimp and has only one active contributor who writes new stuff. There is some ongoing work to cover 2.10 features, though.

Alex

Julien Hardelin
2018-05-01 12:53:35 UTC (almost 6 years ago)

Yes, I am the only contributor and this gimp-2.8 image is not my priority. It is also an alert about the situation. There is so much work to do, and I am very old (a great grand-father), working very slowly.

Seeing so many people writing tutorials on the Web, I can't understand why nobody wants to contribute to gimp-help.

GIMP-HELP NEEDS CONTRIBUTORS

Julien

Le 01/05/2018 à 13:09, Alexandre Prokoudine a écrit :

The user manual project is kinda separate from gimp and has only one active contributor who writes new stuff. There is some ongoing work to cover 2.10 features, though.

Alex _______________________________________________ gimp-user-list mailing list
List address: gimp-user-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list

Steve Kinney
2018-05-01 16:37:16 UTC (almost 6 years ago)

On 05/01/2018 08:53 AM, Julien Hardelin wrote:

Yes, I am the only contributor

WOW.

and this gimp-2.8 image is not my priority. It is also an alert about the situation. There is so much work to do, and I am very old (a great grand-father), working very slowly.

Seeing so many people writing tutorials on the Web, I can't understand why nobody wants to contribute to gimp-help.

Julien

I wrote and maintain a GIMP tutorial:

http://pilobilus.net/gimp_tutorial.html

As of now it's way out of date, and I expect it so stay that way for a couple of months.

The 2.10 release caused a chain reaction here; I paid no attention to flat pack software installation until I looked it up because there's a flat pack GIMP 2.10 release. Now I "have to have that" because the security factor (especially with web browsers, mail software, etc.) is too good to pass up. That means I have to upgrade the OS on my workstation, THEN install GIMP 2.10 and start learning my way around it.

Writing 'official' GIMP documentation would be very different from writing tutorials: My nonsense is my nonsense, people can take it or leave it - but the manual? That affects every user who has enough sense to use it, so everything "has to be right, is all."

This leads to my first questions:

Is there a manual for working on the manual?

Is there a formal to-do list for creating / updating manual entries?

Is there a pre-publication review process for new and revised manual entries?

:o)

Steve

Marco Ciampa
2018-05-01 17:18:55 UTC (almost 6 years ago)

On Tue, May 01, 2018 at 02:53:35PM +0200, Julien Hardelin wrote:

Yes, I am the only contributor and this gimp-2.8 image is not my priority. It is also an alert about the situation. There is so much work to do, and I am very old (a great grand-father), working very slowly.

Julien

Hello! I am the one and only translator for the Italian language of GIMP and GIMP manual (for more than 10 years now...).

My English is not that good, but I've contributed to the manual source in the past not making too many mistakes (apparently... :-).

Here I am. As you have, I have other projects to attend to but I'll do what I can.

I suppose that a minimum of coordination is advisable though.

Just tell me what to do.

Best regards,

--

Marco Ciampa

I know a joke about UDP, but you might not get it.

------------------------

GNU/Linux User #78271 FSFE fellow #364

------------------------

Julien Hardelin
2018-05-01 19:39:34 UTC (almost 6 years ago)

Thank you all for your answers.

In the past, there has been several candidates, but they quickly gave up without writing any text.

Gimp-help is written in XML language, that can be transformed into HTML or PDF. You can find an howto in gimp-help-2: https://docs.gimp.org/2.9/en/gimp-contributing.html

The best way to find what is to be done is comparing Gimp-2.10 and gimp-help-2, checking whether explanations are still valid for 2.10... You can also consult all the what's-new tutorials published since 2.8 to have an idea about new features.

The simplest way to start is writing help for new filters.

I'll help you starting.

Julien

Kevin Cozens
2018-05-01 21:46:10 UTC (almost 6 years ago)

On 2018-05-01 08:53 AM, Julien Hardelin wrote:

[snip]

Julien

Le 01/05/2018 à 13:09, Alexandre Prokoudine a écrit :

The user manual project is kinda separate from gimp

Thank you for you work on gimp-help, Julien. There is, or was, the GUM (GIMP User Manual). I haven't looked at it in a very long time so I don't know if it has been kept up to date or not.

One of these days I'll look at some of the Script-Fu documentation and check whether information is missing or out-of-date. I could also check on information related to the other language bindings (Python, perl, and Ruby). It comes down to a question of priorities as I have a lot of projects on my plate.

Cheers!

Kevin.

http://www.ve3syb.ca/               | "Nerds make the shiny things that
https://www.patreon.com/KevinCozens | distract the mouth-breathers, and
                                     | that's why we're powerful"
Owner of Elecraft K2 #2172          |
#include      |             --Chris Hardwick