RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

What about the Foundation idea? - Was Re: Cpu usage and speed

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

What about the Foundation idea? - Was Re: Cpu usage and speed Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris 26 Feb 06:28
  What about the Foundation idea? - Was Re: Cpu usage and speed Dana Sibera 26 Feb 16:18
  What about the Foundation idea? - Was Re: Cpu usage and speed Carol Spears 26 Feb 19:25
Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris
2005-02-26 06:28:12 UTC (about 19 years ago)

Carol...
Please...

This is fair play.

It is a known fact that the map tools in the GIMP have no optimization for previewing, and they should have.

The way out of this would do some hackish direct drawing to perform the preview on a scaled down/chopped version of the layer - which I suggested about 2 years ago, or, implement everything clean, with a model of "operate on view-version of drawables and then operate in background on real drawables" using GEGL.

The GIMP either starts making use of GEGL - for which we are ultimately lacking developer resources, or lag behind other apps in this area.

The fact is it would be really nice to have someone to work full time in these issues. Last year, we decided not to hasle about a Gimp Foundation and work close to Gnome Foundation instead. What are the odds of Gnome Foundation be able to afford someone to work full time on the GIMP? Or maybe Mark Shuttleworth? Or some other Linux Distro?

In time, I am in no way complaining of what Jay, Sven, Mitch, Bill and others are doing...sometimes I am just amazed with the changes that go overnight on CVS. It is just that there seens to be more work than can be done in the spare time of anyone. Even Sven's excellent plan to categorize gradients, paletts, fonts and brushes seens to be in limbo.

Regards,

JS
->

On Friday 25 February 2005 23:10, Carol Spears wrote:

On Fri, Feb 25, 2005 at 10:54:42AM +0100, Michele Petrazzo wrote:

Carol Spears wrote:

On Mon, Feb 21, 2005 at 10:30:12AM +0100, Michele Petrazzo wrote:

I try to install photoshop on win and it work very well with these images and bigger images.

how about some numbers showing that windows/photoshop work better?

On the same machine with photoshop, a preview of a "curves" tool spend only 4-5 seconds, but when press the OK button, it spend about the same time of gimp.
I think that photoshop don't create a real preview, like gimp, but for a user that make a lot of changes (and preview) whit a single tool, for view if the changes are right, the photoshop solution is better. Try to think is a user want to make 5-6 tries to find that seem better, he must wait 50-80 seconds every time (50*5 = 250), while with photoshop only 4-5 seconds! (5*5 = 25)

well, then play fair.

turn the previews off and see how fast gimp seems. (...)
carol

Dana Sibera
2005-02-26 16:18:02 UTC (about 19 years ago)

In time, I am in no way complaining of what Jay, Sven, Mitch, Bill and others are doing...sometimes I am just amazed with the changes that go overnight on CVS. It is just that there seens to be more work than can be done in the spare time of anyone. Even Sven's excellent plan to categorize gradients, paletts, fonts and brushes seens to be in limbo.

I'd like to echo the above sentiments. As a bit of a list newbie I fear I've come in sounding like I'm doing a lot of complaining, and I hope my comments haven't sounded TOO much that way :). As things are, my technical contributions are limited due to finding hacking out code to be a stressor, but drawing & playing with pixels a major relaxation - but that's just me, and I figure I can contribute some with information as an end user.

dana
--
http://www.danaquarium.com/

Carol Spears
2005-02-26 19:25:46 UTC (about 19 years ago)

On Sat, Feb 26, 2005 at 02:28:12AM -0300, Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris wrote:

The fact is it would be really nice to have someone to work full time in these issues. Last year, we decided not to hasle about a Gimp Foundation and work close to Gnome Foundation instead. What are the odds of Gnome Foundation be able to afford someone to work full time on the GIMP? Or maybe Mark Shuttleworth? Or some other Linux Distro?

i find it interesting that Gnome Foundation handle gimp money.

as far as the odds are, so far, i have no idea what they do to handle the money. how much is there, what is planned with it, how it got there. probably the real scary part of this paragraph of yours is "What are the odds ...."

the only thing i know about the gimp money is that Tim Ney gets a certain percentage of it. how is that for odds?

carol