RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Script-Fu: documentation of SF-ADJUSTMENT and others?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 5 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Script-Fu: documentation of SF-ADJUSTMENT and others? Andreas Waechter 24 Feb 14:58
  Script-Fu: documentation of SF-ADJUSTMENT and others? Alan Horkan 24 Feb 22:27
   Script-Fu: documentation of SF-ADJUSTMENT and others? Andreas Waechter 25 Feb 00:25
  Script-Fu: documentation of SF-ADJUSTMENT and others? Sven Neumann 25 Feb 00:57
   Script-Fu: documentation of SF-ADJUSTMENT and others? Andreas Waechter 25 Feb 10:58
Andreas Waechter
2005-02-24 14:58:37 UTC (about 19 years ago)

Hi,

I am trying to write a script-fu script. No, I am (nearly) done with the script itself - if I hardcode the parameters ...

Now it needs some parameters given by the user (hardcoding them is not good once the script is out of testing phase).

I have found out about the existence of SF-ADJUSTMENT, but I don't know the meaning of all the numbers: Example:
SF-ADJUSTMENT _"Value" '(10 1 100 1 10 0 1)

By trial and error I found out: 1st value (10) is the value displayed at startup. 2nd value (1) is the lowest possible value. 3rd value (100) is the highest possible value. 4th value (1) is the increment/decrement when the little arrows are used

But what is the meaning of the other 3 (10, 0, 1)?

Also I look for a way to initialize such an SF-ADJUSTMENT with the image-width or image height, i.e. set the first value not to a fixed number but to the image dimension (either width or height).

If I use SF-ADJUSTMENT _"Width" '((gimp-image-width image) 1 9999 1 10 0 1)
I get a "not a number" error when the script gets loaded

(the image is given via SF-IMAGE "Image" 0
and the script is registered in "/Test Stuff/test)

Once I got that into operation, I'd like to "couple" the boxes for width and height together, in the same way the width/height boxes are coupled together in "/Image/Scale Image"

The Help files only tell about SF-VALUE, SF-COLOR, SF-TOGGLE, SF-IMAGE, SF-DRAWABLE

In scripts on my machine I found these: SF-STRING
SF-FILENAME
SF-DIRNAME
SF-FONT
SF-PATTERN
SF-BRUSH
SF-GRADIENT
SF-LAYER
SF-CHANNEL

Ok, these are pretty obvious, also the SF-OPTION (taking a list of Strings giving the selected string)

Are there more?

Thanks in advance, Andreas

Alan Horkan
2005-02-24 22:27:54 UTC (about 19 years ago)

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005, Andreas Waechter wrote:

Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 14:58:37 +0100 From: Andreas Waechter
To: gimp-user@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu Subject: [Gimp-user] Script-Fu: documentation of SF-ADJUSTMENT and others?

Hi,

I am trying to write a script-fu script. No, I am (nearly) done with the script itself - if I hardcode the parameters ...

Now it needs some parameters given by the user (hardcoding them is not good once the script is out of testing phase).

If your copy of the gimp includes the sphere test (test-sphere.scm) You should read through it first. To the user the script may be ugly but to the programmer it provides invaluable comments and clear examples that help you get started with Script-Fu.

SF-ADJUSTMENT _"Value" '(10 1 100 1 10 0 1)

By trial and error I found out: 1st value (10) is the value displayed at startup. 2nd value (1) is the lowest possible value. 3rd value (100) is the highest possible value. 4th value (1) is the increment/decrement when the little arrows are used

; Usage:
; SF-ADJUSTMENT "label" '(value, lower, upper, step_inc, page_inc, digits, type)

page inc is a larger step value (best to go with 10 usualy) when page up or page down are used rather than the arrows.

digits ... I dont think I need to explain

type allows you to show a slider in addition to the adjustement box (aka Spinner)

Also I look for a way to initialize such an SF-ADJUSTMENT with the image-width or image height, i.e. set the first value not to a fixed number but to the image dimension (either width or height).

I'm fairly sure it is possible but difficult. Some of scripts included with the gimp will give you ideas on how to do this but I decided not to spend too much time trying to figure it out. (When you have all the rest of your script figured out I try and point you in the right direction on this if you are still interested.)

It is far easier to structure your script in a different way, I would use perecentages of Image size or something else. Describe what the script is supposed to be doing and I might be able to make a more helpful suggestion or even help you with your script (or recommened a similar script someone else has written already).

Once I got that into operation, I'd like to "couple" the boxes for width and height together, in the same way the width/height boxes are coupled together in "/Image/Scale Image"

Short answer: Script Fu does not offer this functionality.

In scripts on my machine I found these: SF-STRING
SF-FILENAME
SF-DIRNAME
SF-FONT
SF-PATTERN
SF-BRUSH
SF-GRADIENT
SF-LAYER
SF-CHANNEL

Read test-sphere.scm and try out a few things and then read it again but after you have read it feel free to ask more questions.

Ok, these are pretty obvious, also the SF-OPTION (taking a list of Strings giving the selected string)

Are there more?

It is easier for me to just point out some of the limitations of Script-Fu There is currently no way to have a Radio list in Script-Fu. Script-Fu does not support UTF but it planned that Tiny-Fu (also scheme) will and then it will replace Script-Fu.

I cannot stress enough how much it helps to know what it is exactly you are trying to do and it is especially helpful if you show us the code so that we can help.

Hope that helps

Please do take a look at my GNU Image Manipulation Program Scripts http://matrix.netsoc.tcd.ie/~horkana/dev/gnome/gimp/script-fu/script-fu.html and if you think they could be improved or have any suggestions of new scripts that might be interesting to write please let me know.

Sincerely

Alan Horkan http://advogato.org/person/AlanHorkan/

Inkscape, Draw Freely http://inkscape.org Abiword is Awesome http://abisource.com

Andreas Waechter
2005-02-25 00:25:42 UTC (about 19 years ago)

If your copy of the gimp includes the sphere test (test-sphere.scm) You should read through it first. To the user the script may be ugly but to the programmer it provides invaluable comments and clear examples that help you get started with Script-Fu.

I did not find that script on my machine. I googled for it and found a version dated 2004-02-03 at http://anoncvs.gnome.gr.jp/viewcvs.cgi/gimp/plug-ins/script-fu/scripts/test-sphere.scm?rev=1.30&view=markup

SF-ADJUSTMENT _"Value" '(10 1 100 1 10 0 1) By trial and error I found out:
1st value (10) is the value displayed at startup. 2nd value (1) is the lowest possible value. 3rd value (100) is the highest possible value. 4th value (1) is the increment/decrement when the little arrows are used

; Usage:
; SF-ADJUSTMENT "label" '(value, lower, upper, step_inc, page_inc, digits, type)

Thanks for that.

> page inc is a larger step value (best to go with 10 usualy) when page up
> or page down are used rather than the arrows. > digits ... I dont think I need to explain

Experimenting with it showed it seems to be the number of digits after the decimal point.

> type allows you to show a slider in addition to the adjustement box (aka
> Spinner)

I'm fairly sure it is possible but difficult. Some of scripts included with the gimp will give you ideas on how to do this but I decided not to spend too much time trying to figure it out. (When you have all the rest of your script figured out I try and point you in the right direction on this if you are still interested.)

I looked through all the .scm files on my machine and only found explicit values ...

It is far easier to structure your script in a different way, I would use perecentages of Image size or something else. Describe what the script is supposed to be doing and I might be able to make a more helpful suggestion or even help you with your script (or recommened a similar script someone else has written already).

>>Once I got that into operation, I'd like to "couple" the >>boxes for width and height together, in the same way the >>width/height boxes are coupled together in >>"/Image/Scale Image"
> Short answer: Script Fu does not offer this functionality.

I want to get values that are initialized by the image width/height and can be changed with the same behaviour as width/height in the "Scale image" dialog, i.e. by default are changed synchronous according to the image's aspect ratio - but if the user wants, he can change them independently.

One workaround for Script-Fu not offering the coupled values: I could just use the two independent boxes for width and height, and an additional SF-OPTION with three options: "Use width/height as given"
"Use width, calc. height from aspect ratio" "Use height, calc. width from aspect ratio" That doesn't show the second value, but at least gives the behaviour of it.

Read test-sphere.scm and try out a few things and then read it again but after you have read it feel free to ask more questions.

As soon as I find it ...

It is easier for me to just point out some of the limitations of Script-Fu There is currently no way to have a Radio list in Script-Fu.

SF-OPTION is a screen-space-saving workaround ...

Script-Fu does not support UTF but it planned that Tiny-Fu (also scheme)

> will and then it will replace Script-Fu.

Ok, so far I don't need Unicode ...

I cannot stress enough how much it helps to know what it is exactly you are trying to do and it is especially helpful if you show us the code so that we can help.

I would show the code if I were allowed to. But company policy doesn't allow it.

Hope that helps

Yes - even if it didn't give the solution I wanted, knowing that coupling values is not possible saves me from searching for it ...

Please do take a look at my GNU Image Manipulation Program Scripts http://matrix.netsoc.tcd.ie/~horkana/dev/gnome/gimp/script-fu/script-fu.html and if you think they could be improved or have any suggestions of new scripts that might be interesting to write please let me know.

Tomorrow (which is in fact later today, it's after midnight, time to go to bed ...)

Thanks for your help!

Andreas

Sven Neumann
2005-02-25 00:57:15 UTC (about 19 years ago)

Hi,

have a look at test-sphere.scm as found in the source tree. It has comments that explain all the Script-Fu parameters.

Sven

Andreas Waechter
2005-02-25 10:58:42 UTC (about 19 years ago)

have a look at test-sphere.scm as found in the source tree. It has comments that explain all the Script-Fu parameters.

Thanks, Alan suggested that too, so I searched for that script, downloaded it and looked at it.

Andreas