RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

selection(text) to path issue

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

selection(text) to path issue knoxik 06 Apr 00:33
  selection(text) to path issue rich404 06 Apr 08:31
   selection(text) to path issue Ofnuts 09 Apr 20:40
2018-04-06 00:33:45 UTC (about 6 years ago)
postings

every time I try to use the selection to path function; whenever I go to hide the path afterwords it still shows a feint red outline and wont go away, but if I use the selection to path just using say, a circle and hide that path, it hides it just fine. The issue comes specifically when I try to make a path from text after setting the text onto an already existing path (the circle) and after filling the text and rotating it I am left with a feint red outline. Why is there still an outline after I try to hide the text path?

rich404
2018-04-06 08:31:14 UTC (about 6 years ago)

every time I try to use the selection to path function; whenever I go to hide the path afterwords it still shows a feint red outline and wont go away, but if I use the selection to path just using say, a circle and hide that path, it hides it just fine. The issue comes specifically when I try to make a path from text after setting the text onto an already existing path (the circle) and after filling the text and rotating it I am left with a feint red outline. Why is there still an outline after I try to hide the text path?

Difficult to give an opinion (other than not reproducible here) without a shot of the layers dialogue. Are all layers visible? Have you tried finding the layer containing the 'ghosting' (if there is one)?

Just a comment on your work flow.

Path to selection, fill selection, rotate layer is one way to go, but will lead to degraded text as pixels are interpolated. screenshot 1

A better way is rotate the path, then path to selection and fill selection. screenshot 2

rich: www.gimp-forum.net

Ofnuts
2018-04-09 20:40:22 UTC (about 6 years ago)

On 04/06/18 10:31, rich404 wrote:

Difficult to give an opinion (other than not reproducible here) without a shot of the layers dialogue. Are all layers visible? Have you tried finding the layer containing the 'ghosting' (if there is one)?

Just a comment on your work flow.

Path to selection, fill selection, rotate layer is one way to go, but will lead to degraded text as pixels are interpolated. screenshot 1

A better way is rotate the path, then path to selection and fill selection. screenshot 2

rich: www.gimp-forum.net

Attachments: * http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/865/original/01-rotate-text.jpg * http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/866/original/02-rotate-text.jpg

I suspect that you create the text, make a selection (alpha to selection) and then cut/paste from that. The edge pixels, being partially transparent, are only partially selected, and therefore only partially cut out, leaving some remains behind. You could avoid this by making a rough selection around the text, with some margin. The selection would include transparent pixels but then pasting transparent pixels doesn't change anything.

But as Rich says, the right workflow is to use Layer>text to path, move/rotate the path, and then create a selection from the result and bucket-fill it.

You could also find the ofn-text-along-path script useful: http://sourceforge.net/projects/gimp-path-tools/files/scripts/