RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Dragging (moving) a selection

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Dragging (moving) a selection Maciej Zi?ba 22 Feb 22:50
  Dragging (moving) a selection Sven Neumann 22 Feb 22:50
Maciej Zi?ba
2005-02-22 22:50:40 UTC (about 19 years ago)

Hi :)

I've just started using GIMP in Linux and I've come to a problem. I suppose the answer is simple but I've looked and tried everything that came to my mind...

Let's say I make a rectangular selection but it turns out it doesn't exactly select the area it was supposed to. So I would like to drag ("move") the selection (and only selection, not the part of image that is selected) to some other place.

In Windows I would press the Alt key and drag with my right mouse button but In Linux I cannot - instead of the selection I'm moving the entire GIMP window! :-O

So is there a way I can move the selection and not the part of image it select, nor the window?

Regards, Maciej Zi?ba

Sven Neumann
2005-02-22 22:50:47 UTC (about 19 years ago)

Hi,

Maciej Zi?ba writes:

I've just started using GIMP in Linux and I've come to a problem. I suppose the answer is simple but I've looked and tried everything that came to my mind...

Let's say I make a rectangular selection but it turns out it doesn't exactly select the area it was supposed to. So I would like to drag ("move") the selection (and only selection, not the part of image that is selected) to some other place.

In Windows I would press the Alt key and drag with my right mouse button but In Linux I cannot - instead of the selection I'm moving the entire GIMP window! :-O

So is there a way I can move the selection and not the part of image it select, nor the window?

Sure, two ways even:

(1) Reconfigure your window manager to not use the Alt key (you could for example let it use the Windows key, provided your keyboard has one).
(2) Press Shift together with Alt.

Sven