RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

How to create a layer of only guide lines?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

6 of 6 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

How to create a layer of only guide lines? GerryPeters 23 Mar 22:30
  How to create a layer of only guide lines? rich404 24 Mar 09:56
   How to create a layer of only guide lines? GerryPeters 24 Mar 21:23
    How to create a layer of only guide lines? rich404 25 Mar 09:04
     How to create a layer of only guide lines? GerryPeters 25 Mar 18:52
  How to create a layer of only guide lines? Ofnuts 09 Apr 20:26
2018-03-23 22:30:50 UTC (about 6 years ago)
postings

I'm working on a CD Label. The template has lots of text instructions on it. So I'd like to pattern just simply the inner circle of the CD cutout and the outer circle border of the CD that's a layer but only those 2 circles. Everything else is see though. This way I can overlay it on top of my CD graphics and accurately see the inner and outer borders. What's the best way to do this?

rich404
2018-03-24 09:56:43 UTC (about 6 years ago)

I'm working on a CD Label. The template has lots of text instructions on it. So I'd like to pattern just simply the inner circle of the CD cutout and the outer circle border of the CD that's a layer but only those 2 circles. Everything else is see though. This way I can overlay it on top of my CD graphics and accurately see the inner and outer borders. What's the best way to do this?

Use the UD109.pdf as a base, open @ 300 ppi

Add a new transparent layer, top of the layer stack.

Set horizontal and vertical 50% guides Image -> Guides -> New Guide (by percent) Fortunately the pdf is symmetrical.

Check that View -> Snap to Guides is on

Use the elliptical select tool. Set the tool properties to Fixed Aspect ratio (1:1) and expand from center.

Draw out the selection from the guides intersection to fit the pdf.

Use Edit -> Stroke selection to paint the circle on the layer.

Repeat for other circle. Turn off selection.

All your artwork goes under that layer. Save as a Gimp .xcf to keep all the layers, guides etc.

Before exporting as a jpg/tiff/... turn off the visibility of the layer.

The above as a 3 minute video https://youtu.be/0UgVavZ3l78

rich: www.gimp-forum.net

2018-03-24 21:23:16 UTC (about 6 years ago)
postings

Use the UD109.pdf as a base, open @ 300 ppi

Add a new transparent layer, top of the layer stack.

Set horizontal and vertical 50% guides Image -> Guides -> New Guide (by percent) Fortunately the pdf is symmetrical.

Check that View -> Snap to Guides is on

Use the elliptical select tool. Set the tool properties to Fixed Aspect ratio (1:1) and expand from center.

Draw out the selection from the guides intersection to fit the pdf.

Use Edit -> Stroke selection to paint the circle on the layer.

Repeat for other circle. Turn off selection.

All your artwork goes under that layer. Save as a Gimp .xcf to keep all the layers, guides etc.

Before exporting as a jpg/tiff/... turn off the visibility of the layer.

The above as a 3 minute video https://youtu.be/0UgVavZ3l78

Thank you thank you Rich. The video really helped a lot. The text explanation was very good, but a video really gives such clarity. I learned a lot. GIMP is such a deep program with so many not so obvious features. The only think I still can't figure out is after you have the ellipse made and later come back to it by hitting the ellipse tool and selecting they layer. How do you tweak the size of the ellipse? I actually have 3 ellipses in that layer and colored the outer border and inner circle.

rich404
2018-03-25 09:04:18 UTC (about 6 years ago)

Thank you thank you Rich. The video really helped a lot. The text explanation was very good, but a video really gives such clarity. I learned a lot. GIMP is such a deep program with so many not so obvious features. The only think I still can't figure out is after you have the ellipse made and later come back to it by hitting the ellipse tool and selecting they layer. How do you tweak the size of the ellipse? I actually have 3 ellipses in that layer and colored the outer border and inner circle.

Not quite sure what you mean but, If the transparent 'overlay' layer is active what ever you 'paint' is on there.

That includes stroking a selection. A selection can be invoked any time. The default mode is replace. So make a selection and stroke it.

Then there is a choice, the selection is still active and you can resize it by dragging the handles and stroke again, or if you have moved to another tool, go back to the elliptical select tool, make the selection, stroke it. Once the selection is stroked that is now pixels on the layer. To change that needs an erase or a new layer.

How to tweak the size of the ellipse?

Is that the diameter? Drag the handles around to size

Is it the width of the stroke? Set the stroke width in Edit -> Stroke selection dialogue.

2018-03-25 18:52:07 UTC (about 6 years ago)
postings

Not quite sure what you mean but, If the transparent 'overlay' layer is active what ever you 'paint' is on there.

That includes stroking a selection. A selection can be invoked any time. The default mode is replace. So make a selection and stroke it.

Then there is a choice, the selection is still active and you can resize it by dragging the handles and stroke again, or if you have moved to another tool, go back to the elliptical select tool, make the selection, stroke it. Once the selection is stroked that is now pixels on the layer. To change that needs an erase or a new layer.

How to tweak the size of the ellipse?

Is that the diameter? Drag the handles around to size

Is it the width of the stroke? Set the stroke width in Edit -> Stroke selection dialogue.

Thanks, that explains why I couldn't do it the way I was trying to.

Ofnuts
2018-04-09 20:26:36 UTC (about 6 years ago)

On 03/23/18 23:30, GerryPeters wrote:

Make a selection, and then `Select>To path`. Then open the Path dialog and make the path(s) visible. They won't be a layer, but just an indication like plain guides.

You can also create the path(s) directly sing various scripts.