RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

View rotation great. now we need grid rotation etc ?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

View rotation great. now we need grid rotation etc ? Patrick Dunford 20 Nov 08:05
  View rotation great. now we need grid rotation etc ? Ofnuts 20 Nov 11:05
Patrick Dunford
2017-11-20 08:05:40 UTC (over 6 years ago)

Well I have been trying out 2.9.7 to get the view rotation, which is a great feature.

But of course the issue when using view rotation is all the existing tools are aligned to the image borders, so rectangle select and the regular grid for example will continue to be aligned to the image boundaries, so you get no advantage that makes it possible to use rectangle select tool or be able to display a grid or a guide if the reason to rotate is so you can work on a part of the image that you want to align to a window edge or something.

I'm editing GeoJpeg aerial photos and masking in old aerial photos over them, so the image cannot be rotated physically to make it line up because this will trash the coordinates saved in it, then it doesn't line up when loaded into a grid of tiles of various images. I rotated the view 33 degrees so I can try to hand align a freehand selection rectangle to the top and sides of the window, this still ended up being slightly out of alignment, hard work.

Ideally view rotation would not stop at being able to rotate the view, but also having the grid and tools like rectangle select able to be aligned to the window borders instead of the image borders. Probably this is simpler to implement than some arbitrary rotation of these tools or features.

Ofnuts
2017-11-20 11:05:44 UTC (over 6 years ago)

On 11/20/17 09:05, Patrick Dunford wrote:

Well I have been trying out 2.9.7 to get the view rotation, which is a great feature.

But of course the issue when using view rotation is all the existing tools are aligned to the image borders, so rectangle select and the regular grid for example will continue to be aligned to the image boundaries, so you get no advantage that makes it possible to use rectangle select tool or be able to display a grid or a guide if the reason to rotate is so you can work on a part of the image that you want to align to a window edge or something.

I'm editing GeoJpeg aerial photos and masking in old aerial photos over them, so the image cannot be rotated physically to make it line up because this will trash the coordinates saved in it, then it doesn't line up when loaded into a grid of tiles of various images. I rotated the view 33 degrees so I can try to hand align a freehand selection rectangle to the top and sides of the window, this still ended up being slightly out of alignment, hard work.

Ideally view rotation would not stop at being able to rotate the view, but also having the grid and tools like rectangle select able to be aligned to the window borders instead of the image borders. Probably this is simpler to implement than some arbitrary rotation of these tools or features.

I have helped someone do something similar but it was done applying the perspective tool after defining the 4 target corners with a path.