RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Converting complex black image on white background into "path"?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

20050214052612.8F851111AC@l... supraexpress@globaleyes.net 14 Feb 06:26
  Converting complex black image on white background into "path"? Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris 14 Feb 17:22
  Converting complex black image on white background into "path"? Sven Neumann 14 Feb 21:26
Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris
2005-02-14 17:22:11 UTC (about 19 years ago)

This image is too small - that is were you are finding difficulties.

You have to enlarge it - I'd say 400% would do - convert it to RGB mode first (image->modes->rgb) ,then scale it up, enhance the contrast (I like doing this using the layers->colors->curves tool, applying an 's' shape. Brightness Contrast tool should work fine here too).

At this stage, you probably will want to retouch the picture with the pencil tool. It is so small that some details - on the windows and on the clock, are not separatable even doing a manual retouch - you willhave to redraw the clock dots and window frames, unless you hhvae a scaled upo version of this image.

Them,. select by color, click on black, convert selection to path. Then, fine tune your path, trowing away undesired points - this will smooth the curvers.

It should work.

Regards,

JS ->

On Monday 14 February 2005 03:26, supraexpress@globaleyes.net wrote:

I am trying to convert the attached image into an SVG (vector graphics) image with no/transparent background. I know something about layers, masks, and channels, but cannot find the correct set of operations to extract the black components of the base image and reconstruct them as one vector graphics image that can then be resized without "pixellation" (blurring/loss of pixels) and saved as other image types.

My original thoughts were to extract the two major black features using a mask. Fill in the outline where it is overlayed in the original image so it would then be complete. This should then be easy enough to convert into a "path", or otherwise convert into a vector graphics image by itself.

The remainder of the original image, the "tower", would take several steps to seperate ITS component sections, and then convert them into a "path", or seperate SVG.

Once all of the components have been seperated and converted, it should be easy enough to combine them into one SVG, which can then be expanded or otherwise modified without any more problems, leaving it with a transparent background.

I have tried to go through the Gimp User Manual but can't seem to find all of the necessary steps, or the proper order, to produce the desired, final SVG, and find myself getting somewhat lost.

Any suggestions to accomplish what I need will be most welcome.

Sven Neumann
2005-02-14 21:26:27 UTC (about 19 years ago)

Hi,

supraexpress@globaleyes.net writes:

I am trying to convert the attached image into an SVG (vector graphics) image with no/transparent background.

try potrace, http://potrace.sourceforge.net/

Sven