RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

ht outline transparent areas in one file and select the same in another?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2017-11-06 19:58:47 UTC (over 6 years ago)
postings

Sorry for the confused sounding subject!

From a png of a whole dollar bill (A) I made a png of a dollar bill torn in half (B) where the other half is gone/transparent. Now, I'd like to make a third file based on these two of the exact *other* half of the dollar bill. i.e., keep everything in A that is transparent in B, and delete everything in A that is not transparent in B.

I'm thinking, "Select the transparent area of B (how?), select that same shape in A (how?), invert the selection, and hit delete."

Thanks for any help/suggestions-

rich404
2017-11-07 08:42:11 UTC (over 6 years ago)

Sorry for the confused sounding subject!

From a png of a whole dollar bill (A) I made a png of a dollar bill torn in half (B) where the other half is gone/transparent. Now, I'd like to make a third file based on these two of the exact *other* half of the dollar bill. i.e., keep everything in A that is transparent in B, and delete everything in A that is not transparent in B.

I'm thinking, "Select the transparent area of B (how?), select that same shape in A (how?), invert the selection, and hit delete."

Thanks for any help/suggestions-

Open the half note image

Open -> As-Layers a full note image

Make sure the full note layer has an Alpha channel. Layer -> Transparency -> Add Alpha Channel

On the half note layer: Layer -> Transparency -> Alpha to Selection screenshot 1

On the full note layer Edit -> Cut screenshot 2

Turn off visibility of half note layer, Export as a png.

rich: www.gimp-forum.net

• screenshot 1
    01.jpg (101 KB)
  • screenshot 2
    02.jpg (99.9 KB)
2017-11-07 17:00:58 UTC (over 6 years ago)
postings

Impeccable Rich!! Thanks a million for your time, so helpful!