RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Is delivered mail (carefull!)

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

7 of 9 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Is delivered mail (carefull!) Jonesy 12 Feb 20:15
  Is delivered mail (carefull!) Bill Lee 12 Feb 21:01
  Is delivered mail (carefull!) Andy 12 Feb 21:03
oxndtjgsmvsfycvjxre@lists.x... 07 Oct 20:16
  Is delivered mail (carefull!) Andy 12 Feb 19:35
   Is delivered mail (carefull!) Matthew H. Plough 13 Feb 01:14
    Is delivered mail (carefull!) Geoffrey 13 Feb 13:47
20050212195221.A4065@blitzk... 07 Oct 20:16
  Is delivered mail (carefull!) Andy 12 Feb 19:57
Andy
2005-02-12 19:35:14 UTC (about 19 years ago)

Hi

It seems that you have been infected by some kind of virus and that virus is sending messages to this list in the hopes of infecting other ones.

Luckiliy for us, most GIMP users are using some kind of 'nix distribution and cannot be infected by this virus which is w32/bagle.bl@mm according to the AVERT Labs virus email analyzer.

But since I heard about ports of the GIMP to windows I hereby advice ALL WINDOWS USERS DO NOT OPEN THE MESSAGE "Re: Is delivered mail" instead DELETE IT (if you are using outlook, disable the preview pane before trying to delete the message and also delete the message from the trashcan)

With kind regards

Andy

On Sat February 12 2005 13:01, Mplough wrote:

Thanks for use of our software.

Attachment removed JOL13.exe

Andy
2005-02-12 19:57:00 UTC (about 19 years ago)

On Sat February 12 2005 19:52, GSR - FR wrote:

You should check headers before saying who is infected. Virus masks the real source,

Ok you're right but it doesn't matter. The most important part of the message is the warning for others since everyone subscribed on this list will have gotten the message with the infected exe file in it.

Just doing my civic duty

Kind regards

Andy aka x_terminat_or_3 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Feel free to check out these few php utilities that I released under the GPL2 and that are meant for use with a php cli binary: http://www.vlaamse-kern.com/sas/

Registered Linux user number 379093 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jonesy
2005-02-12 20:15:17 UTC (about 19 years ago)

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 19:35:14 +0100, Andy wrote:

....... I hereby advice ALL
WINDOWS USERS DO NOT OPEN THE MESSAGE "Re: Is delivered mail" instead DELETE IT (if you are using outlook, disable the preview pane before trying to delete the message and also delete the message from the trashcan)

Then, how would you suggest they read your warning? :-0

Bill Lee
2005-02-12 21:01:39 UTC (about 19 years ago)

Chances are nobody else on the GIMP list got it in the first place.

The infected machine sent it To: an e-dress it found locally.

The From: e-dress is one also found locally.

In this case, the infected machine had both Andy's e-dress in it as well as the gimp-users list e-dress.

The virus didn't go through the list.

Regards,

Bill Lee

Jonesy wrote:

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 19:35:14 +0100, Andy wrote:

....... I hereby advice ALL
WINDOWS USERS DO NOT OPEN THE MESSAGE "Re: Is delivered mail" instead DELETE IT (if you are using outlook, disable the preview pane before trying to delete the message and also delete the message from the trashcan)

Then, how would you suggest they read your warning? :-0

Andy
2005-02-12 21:03:36 UTC (about 19 years ago)

Well It seems that even Andy sometimes makes a mistake ...

The advice should therefore read

I hereby advice ALL WINDOWS USERS DO NOT OPEN THE MESSAGE "Is delivered mail" instead DELETE IT (if you are using outlook, disable the preview pane before trying to delete the message and also delete the message from the trashcan)

The difference is subtle but big

Kind regards

Andy --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Feel free to check out these few php utilities that I released under the GPL2 and that are meant for use with a php cli binary: http://www.vlaamse-kern.com/sas/

Registered Linux user number 379093 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Matthew H. Plough
2005-02-13 01:14:27 UTC (about 19 years ago)

Andy wrote:

On Sat February 12 2005 13:01, Mplough wrote:

Thanks for use of our software.

Attachment removed JOL13.exe

Andy,
Would you happen to have the original email? I don't believe that I have any viruses on my system; I'm running Thunderbird, Firefox, and the version of Symantec without the vulnerabilities that have just been reported. However, I'd like to see the headers on that email; while it's easy to forge them, there is always the possibility that I do have a virus and need to do something about it.

Thanks, Matt

Geoffrey
2005-02-13 13:47:44 UTC (about 19 years ago)

Matthew H. Plough wrote:

Andy,
Would you happen to have the original email? I don't believe that I have any viruses on my system; I'm running Thunderbird, Firefox, and the version of Symantec without the vulnerabilities that have just been reported. However, I'd like to see the headers on that email; while it's easy to forge them, there is always the possibility that I do have a virus and need to do something about it.

There is a very common virus passing technique beening used these days whereby an email address is harvested from a list archive and used to send a virus infected email to the list. So, that being said, it is impossible to determine if the sender of the virus without viewing the headers of the email.

If Andy could forward the headers of that email to you, that would be sufficient in deteriming whether it was spoofed or not.