RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Brush resize via mouse wheel is fail on Microsoft OS

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Brush resize via mouse wheel is fail on Microsoft OS Steve Kinney 25 Oct 17:05
  Brush resize via mouse wheel is fail on Microsoft OS Michael Schumacher 02 Nov 12:49
Steve Kinney
2017-10-25 17:05:43 UTC (over 6 years ago)

Hey y'all,

I'm thinking about filing a bug report on this, as I don't find it on the tracker. Does anyone know if it's already a known issue?

I use a small set of VBR brushes, with the GIMP configured to resize them in response to Alt-Scroll, where scrolling the mouse wheel makes the brush larger or smaller; and I configure Ctrl-Alt-Scroll to adjust brush hardness up and down. This functionality is a huge part of my workflow, especially when editing photographs. I rarely use any other brushes.

Recent GIMP versions in the Debian related repos have all done this as expected, but I recently set up the latest stable GIMP for Windows on a Windows 10 workstation, and these commands are a no-go there: A notification in the status bar indicates the VBR brushes are being resized when I do the thing, but the brush size on canvas does not actually change. Keyboard + mouse wheel also fails to change VBR brush hardness.

The things that don't work are described here:

https://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-using-variable-size-brush.html

http://www.gimpusers.com/forums/gimp-user/17876-changing-the-brush-sizes

I will note down the details - OS and GIMP versions etc. - next time I am at the office where the computer in question lives, and file a bug report. Unless somebody already has by then.

:o/

Michael Schumacher
2017-11-02 12:49:59 UTC (over 6 years ago)

Am 25.10.2017 um 19:05 schrieb Steve Kinney:

I'm thinking about filing a bug report on this, as I don't find it on the tracker. Does anyone know if it's already a known issue?

I use a small set of VBR brushes, with the GIMP configured to resize them in response to Alt-Scroll, where scrolling the mouse wheel makes the brush larger or smaller; and I configure Ctrl-Alt-Scroll to adjust brush hardness up and down. This functionality is a huge part of my workflow, especially when editing photographs. I rarely use any other brushes.

You want the tools-value-2-increase-*/decrease-* action mapped to the wheel+modifier combo.

Changing the size of the brush itself is not going to change the size the tool uses.

Regards,
Michael
GPG: 96A8 B38A 728A 577D 724D 60E5 F855 53EC B36D 4CDD