RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Batch combining multiple open images into one "contact sheet" - a lost script from years ago

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2017-10-14 18:10:23 UTC (over 6 years ago)
postings

Batch combining multiple open images into one "contact sheet" - a lost script from years ago

Hello once again, I am back with another script question, although this one I know exists, because I used it frequently a few years ago. All that I remember is that the man who wrote it hosted it on his page and that his name was Czech (I think). I have looked high and low, but can't seem to find it.

As I said in my last post, so graciously addressed by rich404, I am designing board games and mod projects again. In this case, I'm going to have many, many image templates open at once. I need to quickly save, scale and arrange them in identical dimensions on a single sheet, rather like a contact or proof sheet. I will likely be using the 'export layers to files' tool created by Khalim at https://github.com/khalim19/gimp-plugin-export-layers/ , which works quite well.

I only wish I could relocate this old script, or something very much like it. Attached is an example of a sheet I made with it several years ago. I'll have a dozen images open, and they all have to be in the same place for various reasons. (editing, printing, storyboarding, etc.) Even if I have 30 open, I could make multiple sheets. It saved hours and hours of time!

Anyone happen to remember this script or know something like it?

• An old script took all open Gimp files, scaled and spaced them to specifications and put them on a single image sheet. Here is a result.
    Small-gameContactSheet.jpg (88.4 KB)
rich404
2017-10-14 19:11:13 UTC (over 6 years ago)

Hello once again, I am back with another script question, although this one I know exists, because I used it frequently a few years ago. All that I remember is that the man who wrote it hosted it on his page and that his name was Czech (I think). I have looked high and low, but can't seem to find it.

...snip...

Anyone happen to remember this script or know something like it?

From your description, I think the one you are looking for might be IGLO - Images Grid LayOut

http://iglo.svoboda.biz/

An alternative is one of the g'mic filters 'montage' While the syntax for a custom layout is less-than-obvious, a preset 'Horizontal Array' will take 9 layers and arrange in a 3x3 grid with options for scaling (down), spacing and borders if required. see screenshots.

rich: www.gimp-forum.net

rich404
2017-10-15 10:35:55 UTC (over 6 years ago)

Just remembering some of the 'wrinkles'.

As a linux user you should be ok, but the script downloads as a .tar (*T*ape*AR*chive) file. That unpacks straight to a .scm file but any Windows users reading this, might be baffled by the format.

I remember some years back on another forum, users (claiming to) losing work with the script, Same as all work, save frequently, make backups.

2017-10-15 22:49:11 UTC (over 6 years ago)
postings

You might also be remembering the contactsheet Python script. Download contactsheet-v2.16.py from http://registry.gimp.org/node/120.

I have just tried the copy I downloaded some years ago and it now fails but it can be made to work with two simple edits.

In the lines that start (PF_DIRNAME change the final parameter from an empty string to "/tmp". This specifies a default directory (which doesn't even have to exist) and prevents the script failing (thanks to this page for the solution https://stackoverflow.com/questions/40821245/python-fu-fails-on-directory-selection-pf-dirname)

To start with I thought that the file names weren't being printed but then noticed that both foreground and background colours were set to white!

The script appears as Filters/Batch/Contact Sheet V2.15 (even though it is V2.16)

This works in V2.8.22 but in V2.9.6 it fails to recognize WHITE_FILL in the line bklayer.fill(WHITE_FILL) - to fill the background of the contact sheet with the background colour change the line to read bklayer.fill(1). This edit also works in V2.8.22. Is there a defined constant or enum that will work in both versions?

Also for some reason the script works MUCH faster in V2.8.22 than it does in V2.9.6

2017-10-27 12:19:11 UTC (over 6 years ago)
postings

Just remembering some of the 'wrinkles'.

As a linux user you should be ok, but the script downloads as a .tar (*T*ape*AR*chive) file. That unpacks straight to a .scm file but any Windows users reading this, might be baffled by the format.

I remember some years back on another forum, users (claiming to) losing work with the script, Same as all work, save frequently, make backups.

Rich, thank you again for answering my question and my apologies for a pretty late reply. I have been trying to absorb Linux technical mishaps with everything else and decided I should maybe just walk away from the computer for a while.

IGLO is the exact script I was thinking of, it still looks the same and works quite well. It's still a little moody and can take some non-intuitive tweaking to get exactly the layout you want but does the job.

I will also try the Montage grid angle (is there anything GMIC can't do?). And programmer_ceds, thank you for even more options to do this, I now have 3 tools to hack about with. Thank you guys!