RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

selection by value threshold

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

8 of 8 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

selection by value threshold Mitti Mithai 10 Jul 06:33
  selection by value threshold Carol Spears 11 Jul 22:10
   selection by value threshold Mitti Mithai 12 Jul 07:08
    selection by value threshold Carol Spears 12 Jul 13:43
     selection by value threshold Mitti Mithai 12 Jul 18:51
  selection by value threshold Ofnuts 11 Jul 22:45
   selection by value threshold Carol Spears 12 Jul 00:18
    selection by value threshold Ofnuts 12 Jul 12:32
Mitti Mithai
2017-07-10 06:33:33 UTC (almost 7 years ago)

Gimp 2.9 loads by 16-bit astrophotography files either TIF or FITS just great.

I've never had to to this with gimp yet, but I need to make a selection by value threshold (I want to "cut out" stars that are hitting saturation in my image with values of 64k)...I can't quite seem to figure out how to do it. Does anyone have any advice?

Carol Spears
2017-07-11 22:10:39 UTC (almost 7 years ago)

On Mon, Jul 10, 2017 at 2:33 AM, Mitti Mithai wrote:

I've never had to to this with gimp yet, but I need to make a selection by value threshold (I want to "cut out" stars that are hitting saturation in my image with values of 64k)...I can't quite seem to figure out how to do it. Does anyone have any advice?

Image -->Colors-->Components-->Decompose has options to decompose by HSV and HSL. Perhaps the Saturation layer would be helpful?

If you have an example image, after decomposing, you could select by the color of gray that your saturation would be.

Interesting problem....

carol

Ofnuts
2017-07-11 22:45:07 UTC (almost 7 years ago)

On 07/10/17 08:33, Mitti Mithai wrote:

Quick and dirty:

- open the channels list - drag any of the RGB channels down to the lsti to below to make a copy - treshold the copy
- channel to selection

Slightly more accurate:

- Create grayscale copy of layer (Color>Desaturate (lightness) - Threshold to your liking
- While it is visible, open the channel list, right click any R,G,B channel and "Channel to selection"

Carol Spears
2017-07-12 00:18:09 UTC (almost 7 years ago)

On Tue, Jul 11, 2017 at 6:45 PM, Ofnuts wrote:

Quick and dirty:

- open the channels list - drag any of the RGB channels down to the lsti to below to make a copy - treshold the copy
- channel to selection

Slightly more accurate:

- Create grayscale copy of layer (Color>Desaturate (lightness) - Threshold to your liking
- While it is visible, open the channel list, right click any R,G,B channel and "Channel to selection"

These methods are selecting stars of the same saturation?

carol

Mitti Mithai
2017-07-12 07:08:11 UTC (almost 7 years ago)

Somehow I neglected to mention that I am trying to do this in gimp 2.9.

Indeed I could do something like convert to grayscale and then select, but right now I can't numerically specify the range of 16-bit values that I want to be selected.

Select By Color can be used, but I can't tell how the selection is working in gimp since the threshold appears to suggest it is working on the 8-bit image on screen. I can't quite suss out if 16-bit is fully supported from python-fu in 2.9...if someone is confident it is I could write this as a simple plugin.

On Tue, Jul 11, 2017 at 3:10 PM, Carol Spears wrote:

On Mon, Jul 10, 2017 at 2:33 AM, Mitti Mithai wrote:

Image -->Colors-->Components-->Decompose has options to decompose by HSV and HSL. Perhaps the Saturation layer would be helpful?

If you have an example image, after decomposing, you could select by the color of gray that your saturation would be.

Interesting problem....

carol

Ofnuts
2017-07-12 12:32:17 UTC (almost 7 years ago)

On 07/12/17 02:18, Carol Spears wrote:

On Tue, Jul 11, 2017 at 6:45 PM, Ofnuts > wrote:

Gimp 2.9 loads by 16-bit astrophotography files either TIF or FITS just
great.

I've never had to to this with gimp yet, but I need to make a selection by
value threshold (I want to "cut out" stars that are hitting saturation in
my image with values of 64k)...I can't quite seem to figure out how to do
it. Does anyone have any advice? _______________________________________________

Quick and dirty:

- open the channels list - drag any of the RGB channels down to the lsti to below to make a copy
- treshold the copy
- channel to selection

Slightly more accurate:

These methods are selecting stars of the same saturation?

carol

Yes, if the threshold values you use bracket the required star brightness. A variant is to use the quickmask:

- create the initial selection using the grayscale version of the image by converting one of the RGB channel to the selection

- start the quickmask

- you can then use the threshold tool interactively to select which values will be selected, and at the same time visually check which stars will be covered by the selection

Carol Spears
2017-07-12 13:43:24 UTC (almost 7 years ago)

On Wed, Jul 12, 2017 at 3:08 AM, Mitti Mithai wrote:

Indeed I could do something like convert to grayscale and then select, but right now I can't numerically specify the range of 16-bit values that I want to be selected.

Select By Color can be used, but I can't tell how the selection is working

in gimp since the threshold appears to suggest it is working on the 8-bit image on screen. I can't quite suss out if 16-bit is fully supported from python-fu in 2.9...if someone is confident it is I could write this as a simple plugin.

I confess, I don't understand the differences between 16-bit and 8-bit

images other than certainly one has a lot more information than the other....

I do know something about gimp-2.9. Neither script-fu nor python-fu are being "maintained". An example of this is that it is no longer possible to convert an image from RGB to GRAY due to an extra color profile parameter required by GIMP. And I read of similar problems with script-fu (although that might be a new notation for layer modes).

On the layer modes! That is where gimp-2.9 is crazy different than all other GIMP! Color erase has performed miracles for me. As you work through solving this problem of yours, take a look at these new layer modes. The answer you need might be in there.

carol

Mitti Mithai
2017-07-12 18:51:33 UTC (almost 7 years ago)

(in a separate subthread, apologies for out of order response since I am not subscribed)

ofnuts' suggestion is the right idea, I think that should work fine (threshold a duplicate image). The units are normalized instead of pixel values, it appears to work fine (the thresholding is working on the 16bit values, easy to see with with how finely the stars erode).

I think there was a misunderstanding in the other thread with the term "saturation". In this context I am referring to pixels that aren't measuring the light accuracy because they have been over-exposed (and hit the maximum of the CCD sensor), not the usual connotation of chroma/hue purity etc.

On Wed, Jul 12, 2017 at 6:43 AM, Carol Spears wrote:

On Wed, Jul 12, 2017 at 3:08 AM, Mitti Mithai wrote:

Select By Color can be used, but I can't tell how the selection is working

in gimp since the threshold appears to suggest it is working on the 8-bit image on screen. I can't quite suss out if 16-bit is fully supported from python-fu in 2.9...if someone is confident it is I could write this as a simple plugin.

I confess, I don't understand the differences between 16-bit and 8-bit

images other than certainly one has a lot more information than the other....

I do know something about gimp-2.9. Neither script-fu nor python-fu are being "maintained". An example of this is that it is no longer possible to convert an image from RGB to GRAY due to an extra color profile parameter required by GIMP. And I read of similar problems with script-fu (although that might be a new notation for layer modes).

On the layer modes! That is where gimp-2.9 is crazy different than all other GIMP! Color erase has performed miracles for me. As you work through solving this problem of yours, take a look at these new layer modes. The answer you need might be in there.

carol