RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

I can't open gimp

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

8 of 8 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

I can't open gimp Prototype 11 Jul 17:18
  I can't open gimp rich2005 11 Jul 18:26
   I can't open gimp Prototype 11 Jul 18:37
   I can't open gimp Prototype 11 Jul 18:44
    I can't open gimp rich2005 11 Jul 19:25
     I can't open gimp Prototype 11 Jul 20:56
   I can't open gimp Michael Schumacher 11 Jul 20:33
    I can't open gimp rich2005 11 Jul 20:38
2017-07-11 17:18:09 UTC (almost 7 years ago)
postings

I can't open gimp

I can't open gimp, I'm on ubuntu 16.04 and when I run gimp with the terminal , I've this error: " symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libgimpconfig-2.0.so.0: undefined symbol: gimp_matrix2_get_type". I've tried to desinstall gimp and reinstall but the problem still the same.

rich2005
2017-07-11 18:26:53 UTC (almost 7 years ago)

I can't open gimp

I can't open gimp, I'm on ubuntu 16.04 and when I run gimp with the terminal , I've this error: " symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libgimpconfig-2.0.so.0: undefined symbol: gimp_matrix2_get_type". I've tried to desinstall gimp and reinstall but the problem still the same.

I run Gimp in Kubuntu 16.04 without any problems. Try to help but some questions.

What flavour 32/64 bit are you using and which version of Gimp?

Did it ever work? If yes, have you deleted your Gimp profile ~/.gimp-2.8 and started Gimp again to make a new default profile.

The standard version is Gimp 2.8.16 but you could upgrade to Gimp 2.8.22 by enabling a ppa. Might as well if the regular installation is borked.

Go here and follow the instructions.

https://launchpad.net/~otto-kesselgulasch/+archive/ubuntu/gimp

Note: the comment about a new profile still applies. Un-install/re-install does not remove your Gimp profile. Delete it and let Gimp make a new one.

Otherwise, it is guesswork. Why are you starting Gimp from a terminal and what command? Does Gimp start from the menu shortcut? Have you installed any dubious/old Gimp plug-ins or "enhancements"

rich: www.gimp-forum.net

2017-07-11 18:37:56 UTC (almost 7 years ago)
postings

I can't open gimp

I run Gimp in Kubuntu 16.04 without any problems. Try to help but some questions.

What flavour 32/64 bit are you using and which version of Gimp?

32 bits ; gimp 2.8

Did it ever work? If yes, have you deleted your Gimp profile

Yes, he worked, And I'dont understand what is a gimp profile

The standard version is Gimp 2.8.16 but you could upgrade to Gimp 2.8.22 by enabling a ppa. Might as well if the regular installation is borked.

Go here and follow the instructions.

https://launchpad.net/~otto-kesselgulasch/+archive/ubuntu/gimp

Note: the comment about a new profile still applies. Un-install/re-install does not remove your Gimp profile. Delete it and let Gimp make a new one.

Otherwise, it is guesswork. Why are you starting Gimp from a terminal and what command? Does Gimp start from the menu shortcut? Have you installed any dubious/old Gimp plug-ins or "enhancements"

No, gimp doesn't start from the menu shortcut so I've run it with a terminal with the command " gimp-2.8"

and sorry for my bad english I'm french

2017-07-11 18:44:02 UTC (almost 7 years ago)
postings

I can't open gimp

Have you
installed any dubious/old Gimp plug-ins or "enhancements" I've installed gimp from the ubuntu softaware center with his optional greffons

rich2005
2017-07-11 19:25:57 UTC (almost 7 years ago)

I can't open gimp

Well gimp starts from a terminal with both, gimp or gimp-2.8 so it is not that and your English is better than my French. Not sure of 'greffons' Translates as 'masks'

Can you try this, in a terminal (note wildcard *)

sudo apt-get purge gimp* libgimp*

Hopefully that will get rid of all your existing Gimp installation

then in a terminal

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:otto-kesselgulasch/gimp

follow the instructions which are:

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install gimp

Then check in the graphics menu for Gimp.

If really stuck try www.gimp-forum.net the moderator is French.

Michael Schumacher
2017-07-11 20:33:56 UTC (almost 7 years ago)

I can't open gimp

Am 11.07.2017 um 20:26 schrieb rich2005:

Did it ever work? If yes, have you deleted your Gimp profile ~/.gimp-2.8 and started Gimp again to make a new default profile.

rich, can you please *never* suggest to delete the user profile? Please only advise users to rename it.

If the users does this, and this turn out to fix the issue, we'll never, ever have a chance to figure out what exactly has caused this.

Regards,
Michael
GPG: 96A8 B38A 728A 577D 724D 60E5 F855 53EC B36D 4CDD
rich2005
2017-07-11 20:38:55 UTC (almost 7 years ago)

I can't open gimp

Am 11.07.2017 um 20:26 schrieb rich2005: rich, can you please *never* suggest to delete the user profile? Please only advise users to rename it.

If the users does this, and this turn out to fix the issue, we'll never,
ever have a chance to figure out what exactly has caused this.

Yes, but if you read through the thread the installation is screwed-up. As I read it, surprised if the OP even has a Gimp profile let alone one that is populated.

However, I do know what you mean.

2017-07-11 20:56:56 UTC (almost 7 years ago)
postings

I can't open gimp

YES; IT works!!! thanks for your help!!! I've make what you said and it works, !