RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Converting an image from square to round question

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2017-07-05 21:42:40 UTC (over 6 years ago)
postings

I have attached an image of a dog I would like to use for a project. The picture is square and I wanted it to be round. I used the tools in Gimp 2 to get the round shape I need but there is still the white square visible.

When I paste this image into my project, it shows the white square background. I need to get rid of the white square background and keep the circle and everything in it.

How do I make that happen? Thank you in advance for your help
Bill

2017-07-05 21:44:49 UTC (over 6 years ago)
postings

I have attached an image of a dog I would like to use for a project. The picture is square and I wanted it to be round. I used the tools in Gimp 2 to get the round shape I need but there is still the white square visible.

When I paste this image into my project, it shows the white square background. I need to get rid of the white square background and keep the circle and everything in it.

Bill

Sorry, here is the image....

rich2005
2017-07-06 06:58:27 UTC (over 6 years ago)

Bill

An image will always be rectangular but certain formats will permit transparency. Jpeg is **not** one of those.

Very little change to your procedures.

Open Image, Add an Alpha Channel for transparency, Layers menu -> Transparency -> Add Alpha Channel.

Make your Elliptical selection, Invert it, Cut it. The transparent bits are depicted as a checker pattern. Kill the selection. Selection -> None

Now the important bit. Export your image as a png. File -> Export As Give the file a name **including** the .png suffix. Just keep the default settings.

2017-07-06 13:31:08 UTC (over 6 years ago)
postings

An image will always be rectangular but certain formats will permit transparency. Jpeg is **not** one of those.

Very little change to your procedures.

Open Image, Add an Alpha Channel for transparency, Layers menu -> Transparency -> Add Alpha Channel.

Make your Elliptical selection, Invert it, Cut it. The transparent bits are depicted as a checker pattern. Kill the selection. Selection -> None

Now the important bit. Export your image as a png. File -> Export As Give the file a name **including** the .png suffix. Just keep the default settings.

Thank you Rich, but I did use those exact steps. The issue is that even though the "square" is transparent, it is still there. When I then open the rounded .png file in Meshcam (the software I am using for the next step in my process) it is displayed with the square again.

rich2005
2017-07-06 14:40:45 UTC (over 6 years ago)

Thank you Rich, but I did use those exact steps. The issue is that even though the "square" is transparent, it is still there. When I then open the rounded .png file in Meshcam (the software I am using for the next step in my process) it is displayed with the square again.

It is the application displaying the png that is to blame. Some will 'honour' the transparency mask, others not.

example screenshot: left to right

Top -Browsers: Firefox **not** - Slimjet browser does

Bottom - viewers: viewer1 does - viewer2 **not**.

That does not mean that the end result will not be ok. In your case, you will only really know when you etch something.

Since your application is for CNC why not

1. Same steps then export as a .bmp file. The Meshcam web page says bmp is ok and bmp supports transparency. (although you might have to try the compatibility option in the bmp export dialog)

2. There is a Meshcam forum, ask the question there.

rich2005
2017-07-06 19:48:19 UTC (over 6 years ago)

A bit about using a photo here. Only skimmed through it, but if it takes the image as a height map then there will be a bit of processing to do before putting it into your project. Probably a white background will not matter.

http://www.grzforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15761&sid=cac4e92bd34cf50e94df54f78e274e3e