RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

WIP animation

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

9 of 10 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

WIP animation Manuel 29 Jan 21:34
  WIP animation Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris 30 Jan 04:04
   WIP animation Manuel 30 Jan 03:22
    WIP animation Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris 30 Jan 11:05
  WIP animation GSR - FR 30 Jan 16:43
   WIP animation Manuel 31 Jan 04:45
    WIP animation GSR - FR 03 Feb 23:54
  WIP animation Carol Spears 30 Jan 18:20
200501310449.07471.frame_25... 07 Oct 20:16
  WIP animation Carol Spears 31 Jan 08:57
Manuel
2005-01-29 21:34:12 UTC (over 19 years ago)

WIP animation

Hello, I'll formulate my question with an example:

Open gimp Do some brushstrokes
Now keep Ctrl-Z pressed (or the shortcut of edit->undo) Then keep Ctrl-Y pressed (or the shortcut of edit->redo)

What you have seen is an animation ot the progress you have done in the image. Now, how can I save this progress as an animated gif or a set of images for each frame??

Manuel
2005-01-30 03:22:49 UTC (over 19 years ago)

WIP animation

El Domingo, 30 de Enero de 2005 04:04, Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris escribió:

On Saturday 29 January 2005 18:34, Manuel wrote:

Now keep Ctrl-Z pressed (or the shortcut of edit->undo) Then keep Ctrl-Y pressed (or the shortcut of edit->redo)

What you have seen is an animation ot the progress you have done in the image. Now, how can I save this progress as an animated gif or a set of images for each frame??

Currently, just doing "copy visible" in each step, and pasting it as a new layer, in another image.

Hmm... I have guess I can do this with pythonFu... Thanks!

Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris
2005-01-30 04:04:19 UTC (over 19 years ago)

WIP animation

Currently, just doing "copy visible" in each step, and pasting it as a new layer, in another image.

JS ->

_____

__________________________________________ Gimp-user mailing list
Gimp-user@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu
http://lists.xcf.berkeley.edu/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user

Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris
2005-01-30 11:05:29 UTC (over 19 years ago)

WIP animation

On Sunday 30 January 2005 00:22, Manuel wrote:

El Domingo, 30 de Enero de 2005 04:04, Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris

escribió:

Hmm... I have guess I can do this with pythonFu... Thanks!

I checked it before I answered you. There is no way to undo/redo image steps via the PDB, neither throw the lib gimp available as methods of the Image object.
:-(

GSR - FR
2005-01-30 16:43:44 UTC (over 19 years ago)

WIP animation

frame_256@yahoo.com.ar (2005-01-29 at 2134.12 +0100):

Does it have to be one frame per paint stroke? If not, you can try with some kind of video recorder (xvidcap, vncrec, vnc2swf...), some can output to separate images and you can always decompose videos into frames. This last case could be used to select finished strokes, discarding other intermediate frames, but that would require lot of manual intervention. As you do not explain the final usage, it is hard to guess valid solutions.

GSR

Carol Spears
2005-01-30 18:20:56 UTC (over 19 years ago)

WIP animation

On Sat, Jan 29, 2005 at 09:34:12PM +0100, Manuel wrote:

all of this is easier with gimp-gap. it has copy frames and can also duplicate frames. when you are finished, it can turn frames into one image (xcf, gif, mng or maybe psd (psd untested by me).

carol

Manuel
2005-01-31 04:45:16 UTC (over 19 years ago)

WIP animation

El Domingo, 30 de Enero de 2005 16:43, GSR - FR escribió:

frame_256@yahoo.com.ar (2005-01-29 at 2134.12 +0100):

Does it have to be one frame per paint stroke? If not, you can try with some kind of video recorder (xvidcap, vncrec, vnc2swf...), some can output to separate images and you can always decompose videos into frames. This last case could be used to select finished strokes, discarding other intermediate frames, but that would require lot of manual intervention. As you do not explain the final usage, it is hard to guess valid solutions.

GSR, what i want is the functionality that oekakis have, and also some paint programs, a way to see the development of a painting. It's very usefull for artists to see how others paint, they can learn just watching. And is a great way for sharing techniques.

Recording a video is an extreme solution, but easy to do.

Carol Spears answered me this, about the GAP plugin:

all of this is easier with gimp-gap. it has copy frames and can also duplicate frames. when you are finished, it can turn frames into one image (xcf, gif, mng or maybe psd (psd untested by me).

carol

GSR

Carol Spears
2005-01-31 08:57:40 UTC (about 19 years ago)

WIP animation

On Mon, Jan 31, 2005 at 04:49:07AM +0100, Manuel wrote:

El Domingo, 30 de Enero de 2005 18:20, escribi?:

On Sat, Jan 29, 2005 at 09:34:12PM +0100, Manuel wrote:

You are the best GAP promoter!! :) I have thinked about doing it in GAP, but what I want is an automated way to do this, saving each undo step automatically. I answered to the list to other person what I'm looking for. Thanks.

i have a movie in which every pixel was made by gimp: http://carol.gimp.org/art/sometrojan/

okay, it is not exactly the truth -- i used a few images from photographs, but the animation and the bubbles and the Vegetarian Chicken Ham are pure gimp.

sometimes, the art starts in learning the tools. in fact, most of those movies and stories about artists have them struggling to learn the tools and even shape brushes and quills or what have you themselves.

please consider using the tools you can get for free. if animation fails you with the gimp tools that were made for making one image, try out the tools made for animation.

carol

GSR - FR
2005-02-03 23:54:02 UTC (about 19 years ago)

WIP animation

frame_256@yahoo.com.ar (2005-01-31 at 0445.16 +0100):

GSR, what i want is the functionality that oekakis have, and also some paint programs, a way to see the development of a painting. It's very usefull for artists to see how others paint, they can learn just watching. And is a great way for sharing techniques.

Oh, yeah, I have seen some archives of "recorded images" (opencanvas or dogwaffle, dunno now, it was time ago).

Recording a video is an extreme solution, but easy to do.

It also has one adventage over a finished stroke method (= undo / redo): you see the timing of the strokes, if the artist does something faster than other part, stops to think something, changes zoom levels, does something wrong and fixes it, does something in the dialogs...

I have some of 3D and 2D apps around, which I found pretty useful, more than just things appearing in the screen, last one I got is: http://www.area-56.de/tutorials/goro_jungle_tut.avi

Main disadvantage of videos is the size but as compensation it is more like watching the artist in reality.

GSR