RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

sub part 2

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

6 of 6 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

sub part 2 Jim Clark 29 Jan 00:26
  sub part 2 Matthew H. Plough 29 Jan 00:44
   sub part 2 Matthew H. Plough 29 Jan 01:12
    sub part 2 Owen Cook 29 Jan 02:03
   sub part 2 GSR - FR 29 Jan 20:22
    sub part 2 Jim Clark 31 Jan 18:08
Jim Clark
2005-01-29 00:26:18 UTC (over 19 years ago)

sub part 2

I realized I did not make the most important issue clear. I want it 3D in both directions...not just top to bottom (which even I can do) but also tapering towards the tips. So it really looks as if it is rounded at the ends as well as fat in the middle. Sorry for the lack of clarity.

Thanks again,

Jim Clark

Matthew H. Plough
2005-01-29 00:44:21 UTC (over 19 years ago)

sub part 2

Jim Clark wrote:

I realized I did not make the most important issue clear. I want it 3D in both directions...not just top to bottom (which even I can do) but also tapering towards the tips. So it really looks as if it is rounded at the ends as well as fat in the middle. Sorry for the lack of clarity.

Jim,
This sounds like something that might be easier to do in Blender, an open source 3D application at www.blender3d.org . While the tool takes some getting used to, it's well worth it.

Here's the rough workflow: Add > Mesh > Cylinder
Add > Mesh > Sphere
Duplicate and move sphere
Set smooth
Move camera and render.
If you don't like the lighting, you can move or add lights as you see fit.

While I'm sure the GIMP can do this, the procedure for doing so might be pretty awkward.

Matt

Matthew H. Plough
2005-01-29 01:12:12 UTC (over 19 years ago)

sub part 2

Sorry for replying to my own message, but I did a quick test. Here's the result of my Blender operations:

http://www.princeton.edu/~mplough/tmp/submarine.jpg

Matt

Matthew H. Plough wrote:

Jim Clark wrote:

Jim,
This sounds like something that might be easier to do in Blender, an open source 3D application at www.blender3d.org . While the tool takes some getting used to, it's well worth it. Here's the rough workflow:
Add > Mesh > Cylinder
Add > Mesh > Sphere
Set smooth
Move camera and render.
If you don't like the lighting, you can move or add lights as you see fit.

While I'm sure the GIMP can do this, the procedure for doing so might be pretty awkward.
Matt

Owen Cook
2005-01-29 02:03:35 UTC (over 19 years ago)

sub part 2

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005, Matthew H. Plough wrote:

Sorry for replying to my own message, but I did a quick test. Here's the result of my Blender operations:

http://www.princeton.edu/~mplough/tmp/submarine.jpg

Well my contribution is from the Gimp, using a blend FG->Bg (white/black) and the spherical shape

http://oc.site.net.au/images/sub.jpg

Owen

GSR - FR
2005-01-29 20:22:59 UTC (over 19 years ago)

sub part 2

mplough@Princeton.EDU (2005-01-28 at 1844.21 -0500):

This sounds like something that might be easier to do in Blender, an open source 3D application at www.blender3d.org . While the tool takes some getting used to, it's well worth it.

It is a bit overkill for this, specially if you do not know the interface already. Otherwise it is really fast. It is (was?) not oriented at unexperienced but at meeting deadlines.

Here's the rough workflow:
Add > Mesh > Cylinder
Add > Mesh > Sphere

That can be done with just one add sphere, then select half of it and extrude, so you do not have continuity problems.

Nah, faking 3D in 2D apps is pretty old, most include filters that do it, for simple shapes at least.

GSR

Jim Clark
2005-01-31 18:08:39 UTC (about 19 years ago)

sub part 2

Well, I bumbled into an answer that didn't require learning a new piece of software...though I thank you for your suggestions and will look at Blender.

However, I just made a long rectangle in the color I wanted, did a "map object -> sphere" , and got precisely what I wanted, a beautiful, shiny and highlighted submarine shape.

Couldn't be easier...will need to experiment with the right size rectangle to get what I want, but otherwise, zap, boom, p-p-p-pow and I'm done.

Thanks-

Jim Clark