RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Build a submarine in your spare time

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Build a submarine in your spare time Jim Clark 29 Jan 00:04
  Build a submarine in your spare time GSR - FR 29 Jan 00:44
Jim Clark
2005-01-29 00:04:41 UTC (over 19 years ago)

I want to create what I can only describe as a submarine shape. I want a cylinder that is rounded on the ends and looks 3D. Just a left to right view, no angles no perspective. Boy, I sure don't know how to do this. Can anyone point?

Thanks-

Jim Clark

GSR - FR
2005-01-29 00:44:26 UTC (over 19 years ago)

jclark00@us.ibm.com (2005-01-28 at 1704.41 -0600):

I want to create what I can only describe as a submarine shape. I want a cylinder that is rounded on the ends and looks 3D. Just a left to right view, no angles no perspective. Boy, I sure don't know how to do this. Can anyone point?

Make the shape as a mask then use traditional shading approaches. You know, all those "paint spheres and cubes with highlights and shadows", what you want sounds like half sphere - cylinder - half sphere.

If the shape is regular and you are not very artistic inclined, maybe you can get it done with bump map or lighting effects or even some map to object and assembling the parts. For example render a sphere, then cut it in half and extend the middle part to make a cylinder (cut one pixel wide from one half sphere then scale it horizontaly so you join both half spheres).

GSR